Dustin Hoffman Slams State of Movie Industry

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Dustin Hoffman had taken aim at Hollywood, saying that the film industry is in a bad state.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a656514/dustin-hoffman-blasts-hollywood-this-is-the-worst-that-film-has-ever-been.html#ixzz3fBHPPzZw
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Comments

• AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know whhy he thinks that. i have my own views on it, and agree it's a financial thing, but that interview doesn't give much away.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He went on to say that he isn't "getting much" directorial work, which he explained as being purely for financial reasons.

"I don't think that has anything to do with whether you are good or not, it's just about whether your films make money or not."

At the end of the day, movie producing is a business. No business wants to sell a great product that makes no money.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hoffman became a star in a golden age of independent filmmaking in America. It's all more corporate now.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Oh f*cking diddums, Dustin. Sorry the industry can't accomodate you in the way you so desire, but hey, that's showbiz. Nobody stops the wheel.

There are few things more dismal than past-it actors spouting this generic drivel, which they've been doing for decades now. Just belt up, eh.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh f*cking diddums, Dustin. Sorry the industry can't accomodate you in the way you so desire, but hey, that's showbiz. Nobody stops the wheel.

There are few things more dismal than past-it actors spouting this generic drivel, which they've been doing for decades now. Just belt up, eh.

That is definitely how it comes across from him. Surely he has the money to produce his own films now though, which he can direct if he so chooses. Of course, that would mean him actually taking the risk, not the big studios, so he should put up or shut really.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm not getting much work so naturally the entire industry must be at fault"
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These older actors are having a hard to understanding new media outlets. They desperately hold on to the old paradigm of film making and are frustrated when it passes them by. There are several different ways actors can create their own work through crowd funding, YouTube, and TV. The rebirth of TV has allowed for some of the best entertainment out there. In my opinion, the quality of many TV shows being produced nowadays surpasses the film industry. There are many different avenues Mr. Hoffman could use to find work if he would evolve with the times.

[Edit:] Many movie actors still look down on TV and see it as inferior.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I think right now television is the best that it's ever been and I think that it's the worst that film has ever been"

Funnily enough, the exact same point I made a while ago on another thread. TV drama is attracting the big actors, the best writers and making fantastic drama/thrillers these days. Films seem to be aimed at making money, children and adults who enjoy action/thrills/comics/death and very little else, on the whole, or so it seems to me.

Sure there are pockets of really good grown-up films coming out, but in general I do think they aim at the lowest common denominator.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    [Edit:] Many movie actors still look down on TV and see it as inferior.

I believe that to be less true than ever before. We have had Meryl Streep in a couple of TV series, Dustin Hoffman himself, Matthew M, Kevin Bacon, James Spader, Woody Harrelson, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field, Holly Hunter, Kevin Costner, Laura Linney, Greg Kinnear, that's just off the top of my head!

Many more will follow, not just attracted by the money but I believe by the idea of creating something that requires a little more than wearing a costume of some kind and a blue screen.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true that many Hollywood stars considered television as inferior, but more and more well-known film stars have moved into television over the last decade. For some actors and actresses, it's a case of not being able to find a lot of film work anymore. For others, it's the opportunity to star in something that has interesting story arcs and brilliant characters. The money has the potential to be good as well.
  • Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Gary Sinise left the film industry many years ago and went to work in TV because he said he needed regular pay cheques. The money was far less, but it was far more regular.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Sinise left the film industry many years ago and went to work in TV because he said he needed regular pay cheques. The money was far less, but it was far more regular.

Someone else said that recently.. can't remember who tho. Someone pretty big. They basically said TV series are where it's at now.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Someone else said that recently.. can't remember who tho. Someone pretty big. They basically said TV series are where it's at now.
    Could it have been Kevin Spacey?
    As Kevin Spacey says, the reason why many successful Hollywood actors have moved primarily to Television isn't economical, it's simply because the best writers nowadays are in TV.

Interesting, original and dramatic characters are much much rarer in film nowadays compared to the 90s for example, with the growth of the tent-pole movie edging out the more character-driven screenplays. Why would a studio take a gamble on a $60-70 million movie when they know for a fact that a $200 million movie will return at least three times that figure.

I started a thread about actors you primarily think of as movie actors moving in to TV roles - starring lead roles and not just the odd guest appearance.

Big name movie actors who have moved in to TV