Kate Middleton at Wimbledon

Comments

• samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busy_bee wrote: »
    Gneiss - I think you totally and deliberately missed my point. I actually like having a Royal family, and I like being part of this country, thank you very much. I believe that the rich royal history we have in this country is amazing, and important. I can't think of anything worse than living in a republic.As I said, I have a huge amount of respect for the Queen, and those royals who do a lot of work within the community.

What annoys me, is that those who seek to take advantage of their position, without giving anything back.

For me, Kate has a lot to prove. She has not seemed to have grasped that you have to EARN the respect of the public. If I was in her shoes, I would have been actively trying to learn the ropes of Royal protocols. Getting myself out there, learning from the Queen, Sophie (who I also respect) and also Harry. Like it or not, when she married into the Royal family, she was also taking on a job. Duchess of the UK and future Queen. It was part of the deal, and with all the jewels, come a lot of responsibilities.

I work in the heritage sector, and have studied the history of this country from its earliest human settlers. Kate is in a very privileged position, living the history of the future. Her life, actions, and decisions will be recorded for posterity, and be studied and scrutinised in generations to come. It is a very heavy responsibility to bear, and if she didn't understand that, then perhaps she shouldn't have married into the family.

Instead, all she seems to have done, is get married, then cosset herself away with all the privileges of the title. How many years have they been married, yet you can count her public appearances/speeches on one hand almost. She is in a position to do so much good in this country. She is young, vibrant, pretty and popular, right now her press appeal is at its highest. As a role model to young women and young mothers, she could be really helping to encourage and motivate, leading by example and hard work - yet you rarely see her unless it is some posh state dinner/celeb hangout/tennis match/official trip abroad/holiday.

Well all get thrown in at the deep end with new jobs. The first few times you give lectures, speeches or tv interviews, are scary as hell, and even after years of doing them, still hold nerves. But you roll your sleeves up and get involved.

She has a house full of staff and full time nannies. She has the time, yet appears to not want to use it in a public capacity. Just because William is now working with the air ambulance, does not mean she has to sit at home and wait for him every day.

Kate has a lot to prove to who lol? Talk about dramatic lol
    people find ways to moan about anything and ever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Indeed. How much did it cost to educate these two women and for what?

Are you talking about their schooling
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate has a lot to prove to who lol? Talk about dramatic lol
    people find ways to moan about anything and ever

The great unwashed, Aka us - the GBP.
  • House of JonesHouse of Jones Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    busy-bee

I agree with your post. Those are my concerns too. It's been a few years, and we've yet to hear even an opinion expressed. It is in large part a public role, and one she's simply not stepped up to. If she is to be the queen one day, then she will have to step up.

I said above that the royal family cannot assume that they will inherit the goodwill the current queen has, and the relationship between the public and the royal family has always been more finely balanced than many assume. They may struggle to justify their position as years go by, and Kate is not helping.

She may well be struggling with hormones etc. but I would suggest that she probably has access to the best (private) medical treatment, and has nannies and other household help - so it's fair to assume she is not struggling as much as the rest of us might. And she didn't appear to be struggling at all at Wimbledon. And people will be bound to observe this, as her public appearances are so limited.

One thing I have been wondering is whether this suggestd that William himself is ambivalent about the top job (and so is happy to endorse this lack of public profile, as he'd do it himself if he could get away with it) - not that I'd blame him.

I expect all of this will become much more of a public debate once the queen is no longer with us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busy-bee

I agree with your post. Those are my concerns too. It's been a few years, and we've yet to hear even an opinion expressed. It is in large part a public role, and one she's simply not stepped up to. If she is to be the queen one day, then she will have to step up.

I said above that the royal family cannot assume that they will inherit the goodwill the current queen has, and the relationship between the public and the royal family has always been more finely balanced than many assume. They may struggle to justify their position as years go by, and Kate is not helping.

She may well be struggling with hormones etc. but I would suggest that she probably has access to the best (private) medical treatment, and has nannies and other household help - so it's fair to assume she is not struggling as much as the rest of us might. And she didn't appear to be struggling at all at Wimbledon. And people will be bound to observe this, as her public appearances are so limited.

One thing I have been wondering is whether this suggestd that William himself is ambivalent about the top job (and so is happy to endorse this lack of public profile, as he'd do it himself if he could get away with it) - not that I'd blame him.

I expect all of this will become much more of a public debate once the queen is no longer with us.

No offense but your being over the top. I mea who really cares about the Royal family and Kate Middleton? I don't have anything against the Royal family and respect what they do and stand for but it seems people just pick on her sometimes for the fun it. Maybe she didn't attend the 7/7 service because she was ill or something? I mean why is it so important if she is there? What difference would it make. William attended and that was enough.

Kate doesn't seem to have Diana's touch with people but that's fine. Everybody is different and if anything it's better. Diana's work if anything led her to be a public battering stick because she was so 'open'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offense but your being over the top. I mea who really cares about the Royal family and Kate Middleton? I don't have anything against the Royal family and respect what they do and stand for but it seems people just pick on her sometimes for the fun it. Maybe she didn't attend the 7/7 service because she was ill or something? I mean why is it so important if she is there? What difference would it make. William attended and that was enough.

Kate doesn't seem to have Diana's touch with people but that's fine. Everybody is different and if anything it's better. Diana's work if anything led her to be a public battering stick because she was so 'open'.

You clearly do, and, with respect, I think you're being rather reactionary.

Kate Middleton married into the royal family so like it or not she is going to be up for scrutiny. She has a very cushy life with every material comfort and so far doesn't seem to have done very much of note at all.

She is bland and inoffensive but there doesn't seem to be anything else there. As an ambassador for the royals she could make a tangible difference - but seems more concerned with grinning inanely and being a glorified clothes horse.

The fact is - we live in a time of immense economic austerity - and the fact that Middleton - who was born into privilege - and has now married into it - deserves adulation simply by virtue of having a functioning womb - is quite frankly farcical and an insult to genuinely hard working people who in their own way have made far more of a difference than this rather ineffectual and non-entity of a woman.
    Forum Member
    I'm actually fairly ambivalent about the royal family - some things I think are good, others not so much. But as long as I'm helping to pay for them, I think I'm entitled to my say!

I agree with Prumeister - Kate has been a disappointment, simply because she could have been so much more. That doesn't mean she has to have "star quality" (like Diana arguably did, and I'd say Harry does), but as a highly-educated woman she could be getting behind some interesting causes and putting herself out there. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd hoped she could have been more like some of the newer married-in Euro princesses, and brought something genuinely fresh to an old institution. But it doesn't look like she's the girl to do this. I wonder if the royal family themselves thought she might have been?

I supposed we should have guessed when she hung around for years without a job (despite having a degree from an excellent university) waiting for William to propose. Very modern.

For now, we're just having a little debate on DS - but I do think this could be something of a real issue as the years go by.
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Indeed. How much did it cost to educate these two women and for what?

Around £33,000+ a year for 3 three children for 6 or 7 years each in the Middleton's case.
    http://www.marlboroughcollege.org/admissions/fees-201516/

Can't say all that expensive education has done James and Pippa much good, and Kate never seems to have had a proper job from the time she left St Andrews.

Still, it's only the Middleton's cash that was wasted and not the taxpayers. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually fairly ambivalent about the royal family - some things I think are good, others not so much. But as long as I'm helping to pay for them, I think I'm entitled to my say!

I agree with Prumeister - Kate has been a disappointment, simply because she could have been so much more. That doesn't mean she has to have "star quality" (like Diana arguably did, and I'd say Harry does), but as a highly-
    educated woman she could be getting behind some interesting causes and putting herself out there. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd hoped she could have been more like some of the newer married-in Euro princesses, and brought something genuinely fresh to an old institution. But it doesn't look like she's the girl to do this. I wonder if the royal family themselves thought she might have been?

I supposed we should have guessed when she hung around for years without a job (despite having a degree from an excellent university) waiting for William to propose. Very modern.

For now, we're just having a little debate on DS - but I do think this could be something of a real issue as the years go by.
    I think she has deliberately not put herself our there. After the death of his mother it is no secret that William hates the media and the press and despite all the good diana did for charity etc...doing those things opened her up to the media and obviously it didn't end well. I think William would rather she took a backseat and not be a battering stick like his mother was for the press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You clearly do, and, with respect, I think you're being rather reactionary.

Kate Middleton married into the royal family soq0 like it or not she is going to be up for scrutiny. She has a very cushy life with every material comfort and so far doesn't seem to have done very much of note at all.

She is bland and inoffensive but there doesn't seem to be anything else there. As an ambassador for the royals she could make a tangible difference - but seems more concerned with grinning inanely and being a glorified clothes horse.

The fact is - we live in a time of immense economic austerity - and the fact that Middleton - who was born into privilege - and has now married into it - deserves adulation simply by virtue of having a functioning womb - is quite frankly farcical and an insult to genuinely hard working people who in their own way have made far more of a difference than this rather ineffectual and non-entity of a woman.
    I never said she should be adored. I'm no a fan of gushing over celebs and royals who all have skeletons under their closet like the rest of us....my point was I find it a bit pathetic that people go out if their way to moan about her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said she should be adored. I'm no a fan of gushing over celebs and royals who all have skeletons under their closet like the rest of us....my point was I find it a bit pathetic that people go out if their way to moan about her

She's a public figure so will attract 'moaning' as well as praise.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Going by some posts on here not accompanying her husband to one event (Royal couples still do solo engagements, including Kate) and spending one afternoon at Wimbledon makes her the new Marie Antoinette apparently.
    Forum Member
    I don't think that's the case. It's her lack of attendance at any number of events, over an increasingly long period of time.

Like I said, I do kind of understand why William might want it that way. But it will not be good for the royal family in the long term. (And like I said, I'm ambivalent about that as well.)
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    She needs to hang around Princess Anne more, maybe she might learn a few things about duty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    She's even more of an imbecilic freeloader than her sister.

^^This, theyre all freeloaders IMO
    I would have also begrudged paying a squillion pound for a ticket just to have it ruined by her talking all the way through
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with those on here who are saying once the queen pops her clogs, things won't be the same. I don't think the younger royals are respected at all and I think there will be a huge swing away from the royals.

For a start we have always been told that the royal children are trained from birth to carry out their royal roles. that's just spin to make us think they actually have a purpose in life.

Now we have a commoner who has had no lifetime of training yet she will be queen. Kind of makes a joke of all that rubbish they spout.
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I agree with those on here who are saying once the queen pops her clogs, things won't be the same. I don't think the younger royals are respected at all and I think there will be a huge swing away from the royals.

For a start we have always been told that the royal children are trained from birth to carry out their royal roles. that's just spin to make us think they actually have a purpose in life.

Now we have a commoner who has had no lifetime of training yet she will be queen. Kind of makes a joke of all that rubbish they spout.

I don't doubt for a moment royal children are trained from an early age in their roles. It's not exactly something which comes naturally.

As to Kate being a commoner with no training for queenship, the Queen Mum was exactly the same. Princess Diana too - a commoner marrying royalty, which seems to happen quite a lot, not just in the British royal family.

http://stylecaster.com/ordinary-people-who-became-royal/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzyroz wrote: »
    I don't doubt for a moment royal children are trained from an early age in their roles. It's not exactly something which comes naturally.

As to Kate being a commoner with no training for queenship, the Queen Mum was exactly the same. Princess Diana too - a commoner marrying royalty, which seems to happen quite a lot, not just in the British royal family.

http://stylecaster.com/ordinary-people-who-became-royal/

SO, if it doesn't come naturally how is KM going to cope? It's a quite ridiculous argument to say that royals are trained from birth. How come people can be trained to become surgeons, astronauts or engineers, say, when they're adults but to be a royal you have to be trained from birth. :D:D
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think that it was in really poor form for Kate to stay away from the 7/7 memorial that William went to, yet next day she could be bothered to dress up and hob nob at Wimbledon?

I think it is disgraceful.

Did it occur to you that perhaps there was a reason for not being there? Maybe one of the kids was ill or something.

Seems quite a judgmental post for someone who has no clues of the facts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Did it occur to you that perhaps there was a reason for not being there? Maybe one of the kids was ill or something.

Seems quite a judgmental post for someone who has no clues of the facts.

Oh come one .... There'll be the nanny and immediate royal doctor on hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Oh come one .... There'll be the nanny and immediate royal doctor on hand.

So you're suggesting that if the kids are ill she should hand them over to the nannies to look after then rather than fulfilling her primary role as a mother? Yeah, she'd never get criticised for that. Poor girl can never win against the never ending supply of armchair critics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're suggesting that if the kids are ill she should hand them over to the nannies to look after then rather than fulfilling her primary role as a mother? Yeah, she'd never get criticised for that. Poor girl can never win against the never ending supply of armchair critics.

Tough.

That's what she signed up for.

Some people struggle to make ends meet and don't see the need to fawn over a grinning, bland vacuous non-entity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough.

That's what she signed up for.

Some people struggle to make ends meet and don't see the need to fawn over a grinning, bland vacuous non-entity.

By signed up I assume you mean marry the man she loves?

BIB- Not quite sure what your point is. Is the fact they are struggling down to her?
  • julicovajulicova Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I don't think Kate Middleton works hard enough on her charities and other duties. It appears she prefers gala dinners, mixing with celebrities and tennis matches. She does not come across as sincere or caring.

She ruthlessly chased Prince William for years and clung on like a limpet, not working and being available for him whenever he wanted. Her mother spoiled PW by pandering to his every whim, buying his favourite wines and food and acting like his surrogate mother.

The pair of them come across as spoilt, uncaring, aloof and very dull.

Prince Harry, on the other hand, has charisma and warmth in spades and is loved by most. He has made some significant efforts with his charity work - eg: the Invictus Games and Sentebale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By signed up I assume you mean marry the man she loves?

BIB- Not quite sure what your point is. Is the fact they are struggling down to her?

Yes. Who happens to be 2nd in line to the throne. Them's the breaks. The man she loves isn't an accountant or a teacher - he is one of the most high profile men in the UK and she willingly chose to marry him.

No, of course they are not struggling because of her; but the fact is that in increasingly austere times for many, a bunch of freeloading parasites that contribute very little in tangible terms sticks in the craw somewhat.