Celebrities that are "saintly" or "infamous...

13»

Comments

• AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    laurielou wrote: »
    OK. I really think you need to calm down.

As a matter of fact laurielou does NOT think it's "fine" . "She" thinks having sex with underage groupies is pretty sleazy and grim - as were many things for women and girls back then in the supposedly sexual liberation years of the sixties and seventies.

But she understand the concept of historical context and that PEOPLE saw these things in a different way back then. And understands, as do most members of the public, that there is something of a sliding scale of severity with regard to historical sex offences because of that.

I think you'll find that's why the John Peel story, when it was reported (and it was) didn't garner the same public reaction as, say, Savile. You clearly wish it had (in fact, seem rather fixated), but I'm just trying to point out why it didn't. It's not some sort of pro-John Peel conspiracy.
    What is the SHE stuff about? As in "But she understand the concept of historical context...', but not grammar.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anonandon wrote: »
    What is the SHE stuff about? As in "But she understand the concept of historical context...', but not grammar.

Lol, is there something the matter with you?

Now, grow up and stop trolling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Lol, is there something the matter with you?

Now, grow up and stop trolling.

What a shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Men wrote: »
    What a shame.

Yes, Mr Men, I felt there was really no need for that poster to direct personal insults (or false insinuations about what I believe.) due to me simply happening to have a different opinion from him and trying to make my point.. The last response he made to me was silly, unfair, and completely uncalled for. And I responded in kind. No doubt I shouldn't have. But I felt he was out of order.

But it's days ago now and all forgotten (by me, in any case.)

Why not get the thread back on track? I won't mention JP I promise!
    Forum Member
    Yes, Mr Men, I felt there was really no need for that poster to direct personal insults (or false insinuations about what I believe.) due to me simply happening to have a different opinion from him and trying to make my point.. The last response he made to me was silly, unfair, and completely uncalled for. And I responded in kind. No doubt I shouldn't have. But I felt he was out of order.

But it's days ago now and all forgotten (by me, in any case.)

Why not get the thread back on track? I won't mention JP I promise!

You mention what you want!!!

I have no idea who this man is. I agree with you both, times were different but as I have no idea what the 70's were like. I find it hard to believe this was widely accepted. 15 would have been better than 12 or 13, that is borderline primary school age!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mention what you want!!!

I have no idea who this man is. I agree with you both, times were different but as I have no idea what the 70's were like. I find it hard to believe this was widely accepted. 15 would have been better than 12 or 13, that is borderline primary school age!

Yeah, it's grim. And no, it wasn't 'widely accepted' but the boundaries were a bit more blurred than they are now, esp where rock stars were concerned. (btw re age of consent, Spain only just upgraded theirs from 13 to 16 this year - so historically it's not been a fixed thing. 16 in the UK for years of course.)

It doesn't make it right - but there was more 'blind eye' turning, and people wouldn't have been using the term paedophile in the same way we do now, though it'd be 'moral' outrage of course (seen as v unfashionable among 'cool' circles.) Sexy schoolgirls were also a tedious feature of 70s mainstream comedy, as I recall - you def wouldn't get that now!

I'm glad things have changed, of course (along with other unacceptable seventies things - ya know, casual racism, homophobia, sexual discrimination) but am wary of attempting to impose current social norms on past eras. The past is a different country and all that...

Ps I can certainly tell you that if I had been a seventies teenager, JP was certainly not the first person I'd have been rushing to offer my charms to...look up a pic of him 'young' on google. Yikes!
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's grim. And no, it wasn't 'widely accepted' but the boundaries were a bit more blurred than they are now, esp where rock stars were concerned. (btw re age of consent, Spain only just upgraded theirs from 13 to 16 this year - so historically it's not been a fixed thing. 16 in the UK for years of course.)

It doesn't make it right - but there was more 'blind eye' turning, and people wouldn't have been using the term paedophile in the same way we do now, though it'd be 'moral' outrage of course (seen as v unfashionable among 'cool' circles.) Sexy schoolgirls were also a tedious feature of 70s mainstream comedy, as I recall - you def wouldn't get that now!

I'm glad things have changed, of course (along with other unacceptable seventies things - ya know, casual racism, homophobia, sexual discrimination) but am wary of attempting to impose current social norms on past eras. The past is a different country and all that...

Ps I can certainly tell you that if I had been a seventies teenager, JP was certainly not the first person I'd have been rushing to offer my charms to...look up a pic of him 'young' on google. Yikes!

I just love your posts!

Omg! I had no idea about the Spain law! So a man could have sex with a 13 year old in Spain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love your posts!

Omg! I had no idea about the Spain law! So a man could have sex with a 13 year old in Spain?

Aww. Ta.

I'm not sure of the details or if they had an age difference rule in Spain. Actually, it was worse than this - up until 1999, it was 12. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe#History_26
    Forum Member
    Aww. Ta.

I'm not sure of the details or if they had an age difference rule in Spain. Actually, it was worse than this - up until 1999, it was 12. :o

Well I have learned something new today!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww. Ta.

Well, they still torture animals in public, for fun.
    Forum Member
    Well, they still torture animals in public, for fun.

I thought Spain was cultured haha!
  • AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I thought Spain was cultured haha!

Cultured? You ever been to the Costa Del Sol? The land that taste forgot, although to be fair, the British are mostly to blame.
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    Cultured? You ever been to the Costa Del Sol? The land that taste forgot, although to be fair, the British are mostly to blame.

I bet. We ruin everything lol