Options

Prison won't give Rolf Harris drawing paper, so he paints mural

Comments

• Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    One of the people replying to that article says that it's quite normal for a prison to give a prisoner a job that he's good at. Problem is, this is making Harris think he's above the rest, and that he's somehow 'getting away with' everything he's done. Yes, he's in prison, but he's having a good time, so who cares..

Giving him this job is a priviledge, not a job. Sends the wrong message to both the prisoner and his victims.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Prisoners shouldn't have any jobs.

They should be left in an empty windowless cell with no carpet or wallpaper. No money, no TV, no internet, no computer games, gym or classes. Just lots and lots of time to think over their crime. The prison experience should be utter hell. It should be a deterrent - an experience nobody would ever want to to risk repeating.
  • Options
    simmcattsimmcatt Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »

They should be left in an empty windowless cell with no carpet or wallpaper. No money, no TV, no internet, no computer games, gym or classes. Just lots and lots of time to think over their crime. The prison experience should be utter hell. It should be a deterrent - an experience nobody would ever want to to risk repeating.

It should be a deterrent - an experience nobody would ever want to to risk repeating.... sounds like the time my other half made me watch the X Factor...:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murals, seems fair enough, a good use of his talent.

Much to the dismay of many It seems prison life isn't breaking Rolf.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,001
    Forum Member
    How does Sara C Nelson, the author of this article know none of the other 700+ inmates don't have income other than the £7 a day they get for doing menial chores?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem with that is you will really struggle to find people willing to be prison guards - prison riots are no fun for the staff who run a real risk of injury or death. Its much more sensible to keep them occupied - even if that means you can't have a wet dream over their suffering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Putting Stafford on the map again :(
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stone them as well?

Let people spit and beat on him?

The Daily Heil newspaper has a lot to answer for
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    £7 a day they get for doing menial chores?

According to my prison officer OH:

Less than £3/day for the real menial chores (like sweeping the yard). About £3/day if some sort of training is involved. About £3.25 for prisoners in trusted positions (eg doing menial work in the staff mess, the prison hospital, etc). As much as £3.50 for prisoners in full-time education. Maybe as much as £5 for prisoners doing really skilled work. Jobs paying more than this are very few and far between. Most prisoners will be earning in the £3 - £3.50 area.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like this jolly little shack?

http://i0.wp.com/sometimes-interesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/adx-florence-7.jpg
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Anyone else thinking of that scene in 'Quills'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they have access to computers they could make $2000 a week in just a few hours like my cousin's friend.
  • Options
    StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An artist spends most of their day isolated and painting, Rolf's doing that just in different surroundings. Hardly a punishment or chore. Why don't they make him be a 'teacher', run a class there and teach other inmates how to express themselves through art, if they're going to give Rolf the luxury of having work fitted around his interests why not let everyone benefit from it.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    If they have access to computers they could make $2000 a week in just a few hours like my cousin's friend.
    only if he has a webcam
    :kitty:
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    only if he has a webcam
    :kitty:

And some bubble wrap?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's not a toilet paper he wants, so he's painting with... :o:D
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why don't we just introduce capital punishment for all but the most minor crimes? That would stop reoffending. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Anyone else thinking of that scene in 'Quills'?

Yes, I remember that!
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Never mind murals, they should employ him in maintenance and make him emulsion the walls and gloss the railings/metal work. At least that would be a useful to the tax payer.

He'll be out soon anyway by now won't he?
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have this already. It's called 'being in the hole' however it is mainly used for prisoners who are violent. This really doesn't help as it just induces mental illness in people as we are essentially social creatures. This is only used as a last resort and not really suitable for short term to medium term prisoners as all you would end up doing is releasing people with more mental illness into the community and creating more social issues at the other end.

However I think Rolf Harris should not have access to be able to do art in Prison. It's gaining fame for him and it's therapeutic for him. I think he should be given a monotonous task to do as a punishment. With the clear message, you break the rules, you lose your perks in life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    im surprised he didn't ask for a didgereedoo and start singing lol
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »

He'll be out soon anyway by now won't he?

December 2016 or thereabouts, if he survives.
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    December 2016 or thereabouts, if he survives.

And assuming that the file currently with the CPS doesn't lead to a successful prosecution and subsequent conviction.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    An artist spends most of their day isolated and painting, Rolf's doing that just in different surroundings. Hardly a punishment or chore. Why don't they make him be a 'teacher', run a class there and teach other inmates how to express themselves through art, if they're going to give Rolf the luxury of having work fitted around his interests why not let everyone benefit from it.

That sounds a good idea IMO. Everyone benefits then (hopefully)
    Maybe art is theraputic for Rolf in these circumstances (perhaps it always was? I do remember reading he'd get depressed if he wasnt "artist/entertainer Rolf" or something like that)