Options

One Plus 2

Comments

• Options
    ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've had NFC on my Nokia C7 since 2010 and never used it either. OP2 seems a bit 'meh' to me.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Personally I prefer CPCs but I can see how the benefits of Apple Pay for larger transactions, with the better tracking of payments, could be convenient.

I can see myself using a normal card for buying a coffee or for travel, but if I'm buying something big then it's no real harm using a phone (certainly no time pressures as with using a phone to tap in and out on the tube with hundreds of commuters behind you cursing).

Thus, having had NFC phones for so long it seems strangely odd to lose it just as it might finally have a real purpose.

But, you can of course live without it.

Yep it is odd, I mean how costly would it have been to implement? Doesn't it go against their ethos somewhat? They are calling the phone 2016 flagship killer. Ironically, that could be the year where mobile payments actually really begin to happen, therefore, could Oneplus have possibly missed a trick? Not sure.

Perhaps they can and will reassess the situation to see if people are now actually starting to use mobile payments, so if there is some kind of upsurge, I'm sure they can implement NFC on the next model, so I don't think it's that big a deal, since it's only really starting to take off, and contactless readers aren't everywhere yet, so if it booms, they can just slap it back on, since they got a window to see how mobile payment use is growing.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living near London, most places take contactless and I think by September all merchants are supposed to be accepting it so the likes of John Lewis should switch on their already compatible terminals.

2016 does look like the year NFC takes off. Especially as more rail operators are introducing contactless payments for travel, so there's no reason you couldn't load train tickets on your phone soon.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its a real positive that it's less than expected as that makes it a real bargain.

Not so worried about the lack of NF technology as not really sure how secure it all is. Android as well is probably a bit too open of platform to trust that sort of technology.

The real concern is the SD chip, it doesnt sound that convincing.
  • Options
    bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Android Pay does ever launch in the UK, then I would like a phone with NFC, but I'll still be hoping for an invite so I can try the phone out. Hopefully Madhi will come up with a great ROM for it too.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Just as I'm having a barney wih Vodafone this looks like a tempting alternative....

Now excuse my stupidity I noticed someone posted about the LTE banding, short end does it work on UK LTE?

EDIT: As I know sod all about the numbers, bands wise I get 800/1800/2600 and so on.
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works on all UK LTE, well apart from when the next auctions happen next year but they won't be rolled out for quite a while.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Works on all UK LTE networks, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Denco1 wrote: »
    It works on all UK LTE, well apart from when the next auctions happen next year but they won't be rolled out for quite a while.
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Works on all UK LTE networks, yes.

Thank you!

If anyone has an invite spare or can provide one, can I get one from you?

TIA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Click on that link I posted and then sign up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Click on that link I posted and then sign up.

Maybe I'm being stupid but where do I register on that page, the only thing I can see is a referral link to be put on facebook or twitter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a box at the bottom to join the list for an invite. Have they changed it already?
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being stupid but where do I register on that page, the only thing I can see is a referral link to be put on facebook or twitter?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter your email address.
    You will then get a confirmation email which you click on to confirm.

https://oneplus.net/invites?kid=6GC39
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »

Direct link to the page minus any affiliate links.

https://oneplus.net/uk/invites

Scroll down towards the bottom and there is a big box to register.

http://s19.postimg.org/oygwy42mr/image.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To think this is only the reservation list and not even the invite list, some people are going to have a long wait.
    OnePlus have nailed it once more, these links are all over forums and I don't even think you will climb much higher with the number of links around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    To think this is only the reservation list and not even the invite list, some people are going to have a long wait.
    OnePlus have nailed it once more, these links are all over forums and I don't even think you will climb much higher with the number of links around.

No I know, that's why I'm hoping someone who will have an invite to share will think of me. Lol

Your right though that were going to be waiting months.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    After reading jonmorris comments about the snapdragon processor on his Web site I think I will looking closely at the Motorola phones when I change in a couple of months .
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    SD808 is fine; SD810 is the problem (which Motorola aren't using).
  • Options
    planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frustratingly Android Pay isn't up and running yet, but there's no way I'd now buy a phone without NFC. .. tbh android are faffing about too much. erratic battery life, slow manufacturer/telco updates, late to nfc rollout.. (services not sw). Could be apple next - something I thought I'd never say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure what the final thing is that needs to happen to get Google Pay (or Samsung Pay) to work, but I feel that we might now have a chance.

Why? Because, as is often the case, Apple may be late to the party but it's got the public aware of mobile payments as being a thing. Now we see banks advertising Apple Pay, and stickers in McDonald's (and people actually using it) because it's not geeky if Apple does it, it's the future.

Surely now Google can get momentum, especially as the banks must be liking the whole idea. The only people probably hating it are TfL, or more specifically London Underground.

But, anyway, NFC is now a must. It's sad Motorola didn't put NFC on the new Moto G, while the rather impressive Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (at £130 phone, or less) does.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oneplus might be releasing a 2nd phone before Xmas.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9093899/oneplus-new-phone-2015
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's that NF chip then included then in the new phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the real reason is for leaving NFC out? Seems like they know it was a bit silly.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I wonder what the real reason is for leaving NFC out? Seems like they know it was a bit silly.

Especially considering how cheap it must be to add by now!
    I realise cheaper flagship competitors like this must be on tighter profit margins per device than the likes of Samsing and Apple, but surely the addition of NFC wouldn't break the bank?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the new phone is going to be mid range to complete with the likes of the Moto G and not another high end phone.

Regarding the NFC I can only guess that they decided having a theme which changes when you change the back cover was more important, apparently NFC caused them to have a low yield of back covers last year as well.