Options

Footwear for Icy weather

BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone recommend me some good shoes/boots to wear for walking in this weather!

I wore trainers last year and fell over twice, this year I've got some "timberland style" boots but I still seem to slip about and the paths are treacherous!

Any help appreciated :-)

Comments

• Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennis rackets tied to your shoes should only cost about a tenner.
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    I been wearing steel toe cap work safety boots out in this weather. Not exactly compatible with all my skinny jeans. But this is one occasion where safety comes before anything else. Still been arse over end though as the ice is just so thick in places.

Can't seem to find any 'pretty' footwear with snow and ice design in mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golf shoes, cricket shoes, football boots.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been wearing proper walking boots, the goretex kind for hillwalking, and my feet have been toasty warm and dry and I haven't slipped once.
  • Options
    stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I've been wearing proper walking boots, the goretex kind for hillwalking, and my feet have been toasty warm and dry and I haven't slipped once.

Me too. Hillwalking boots are the best.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I'm wearing my snow boots - bought them a few years ago as I go skiing a lot and they are great - better than my walking boots at gripping on the ice and very, very warm - furry lining. Just lovely!

..these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140488367440
  • Options
    b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone recommend me some good shoes/boots to wear for walking in this weather!

I wore trainers last year and fell over twice, this year I've got some "timberland style" boots but I still seem to slip about and the paths are treacherous!

Any help appreciated :-)

Doc Martins . brilliant .
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Anything, as long as you've got some of these attached.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    b.lever wrote: »
    Doc Martins . brilliant .

Me too. And lots of pairs of socks (they don't stop you slipping.... but do keep your feet warm!)
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some snow boots too Trespass ones they grip quite well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodgygeeza wrote: »

Yes, I'm considering getting some shoe/boot ice grips too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    I'm wearing my snow boots - bought them a few years ago as I go skiing a lot and they are great - better than my walking boots at gripping on the ice and very, very warm - furry lining. Just lovely!

..these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140488367440

ooo they're lovely
  • Options
    JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take my wellies everywhere.

Even if I'm walking from the car to the office, and its icy, the wellies go on!

I dress for comfort and safety, not fashion :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jolene wrote: »
    I take my wellies everywhere.

Even if I'm walking from the car to the office, and its icy, the wellies go on!

I dress for comfort and safety, not fashion :)

My wellies were not doing the job on a particularly icy day a few weeks ago. Mind, I'm not sure anything other than spikey shoes would have worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ooo nice one, they look just the job!
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Timberland Rime Ridge GTX snow boots which I was lucky enough to get from M&M last year for a really silly price. They are good and extremely warm, although I did fall over once whilst going down a very icy hill. If its really icy I use snow grabbers from www.icegrips.co.uk but they are completely out of stock now. You need to order a larger size than your boots. I also use my hiking poles with the rubber grippers removed so just the tungsten tip is there.
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Been wearing my Berghaus 'explorer ridge' hiking boots, which have been brilliant in the ice.

Also just bought some doc martens for the first time since I was a student, they've been pretty good the last couple of days. Was drawn in by a new design with buckles which zips up the side, perfect for lazy gits like me who can't be bothered to lace up the 8 hole version. Forgot how comfy and springy the soles are. Grip seems OK, but might invest in some yak trax or whatever they are called.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    mancghirl wrote: »
    Been wearing my Berghaus 'explorer ridge' hiking boots, which have been brilliant in the ice.

Also just bought some doc martens for the first time since I was a student, they've been pretty good the last couple of days. Was drawn in by a new design with buckles which zips up the side, perfect for lazy gits like me who can't be bothered to lace up the 8 hole version. Forgot how comfy and springy the soles are. Grip seems OK, but might invest in some yak trax or whatever they are called.

I'm pleased that my Dr Martens boots http://www.jamesandjames.com/htmlfiles/shoefiles/drmartens/dm939gch.htm have performed well during the recent snow and ice and I'm very pleased l bought them now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    I'm pleased that my Dr Martens boots http://www.jamesandjames.com/htmlfiles/shoefiles/drmartens/dm939gch.htm have performed well during the recent snow and ice and I'm very pleased l bought them now.

Oh, I like those, didn't realise the range of Docs had expanded so much until I started looking. I hadn't bought a pair since I was a student in 1992.

Got these and they are lovely and comfy

http://www2.schuh.co.uk/dr-martens/womens-black-dr-martens-modern-classics/1446127020

- just been out in the snow and grip was excellent.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Timberland, Merrell, Sorel, all good winter boots labels.

I've had my Merrell for about 3 years now and still going strong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bending your knees when you walk will help you to stay upright should you slip.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member

I have these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Grip-Everyday-Traction-Large-XLarge/dp/B002LWDCE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293218286&sr=8-1 they have been a god send for the last month
  • Options
    jay seanjay sean Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    wellies
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I agree doc martins are good in these slippery conditions