Why do most of the UK drive manuals?

Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
Forum Member
Surely an automatic is much easier! No faffing about with gears etc!

Does anyone know where I can buy very cheap cars for like £400 or under and have any advice for doing so?

Comments

• HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried Boycie...?
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    Have you tried Boycie...?

LOL I had no idea what you were talking about until I goggled it
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think of that then Del Boy?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely an automatic is much easier! No faffing about with gears etc!

Does anyone know where I can buy very cheap cars for like £400 or under and have any advice for doing so?

Don't.

At that price, chances are you are either buying a rot-box, a death trap, or a whole heap of trouble (or any combination of the three)
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried an automatic and they are dangerous, when you say automatic it really is! it just freaking moves by itself I mean you could just set the car on and get out and it will keep going (be it rather slow).

Thing is though after you learn how to drive a manual it is ultimately safer, the difficulty is not really a reason after that.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most non-americans drive manuals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    i have driven an automatic for 2 1/2 years now. Been driving a manual for 5 years previously, best decision of my life switching to an auto. So much easier around town.

my dad was pretty old fashioned and always told me manuals were better but took a punt with an automatic and it's just such a joy and easy to drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like being in control, a manual gives you that :D
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy driving. An automatic is the equivalent of driving a dodgem in my opinion, i.e. very boring.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the Americans have decent auto's. I think we were all put off when pop bought us our first car & it was an 1100 cc automatic Corolla :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    I enjoy driving. An automatic is the equivalent of driving a dodgem in my opinion, i.e. very boring.

Automatic's are great to drive. No need to worry fiddling with gears just concentrate on acceleration :D

Honestly though no worries about clutch control and biting point etc. No need to worry about hill starts just let it rest to a stop and do nothing more, then just hit the acceleration and go.

With towns and cities becoming so congested I really don't understand why people are still buying manual cars.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Automatics are really just for old people, fat Americans and incompetent drivers who never learned to change gear properly. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batista wrote: »
    Automatic's are great to drive. No need to worry fiddling with gears just concentrate on acceleration :D

Honestly though no worries about clutch control and biting point etc. No need to worry about hill starts just let it rest to a stop and do nothing more, then just hit the acceleration and go.

With towns and cities becoming so congested I really don't understand why people are still buying manual cars.

All the things you mention are second nature to any halfway decent driver. As I say if I just wanted to steer I'd go for a ride on the dodgems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I drive a manual, but sometimes, especially on my daily commute to work where it's all stop-start and barely getting out of second gear, I think it might be nice to have an automatic.
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive both, the other half's car is a manual and I hate having to use it - give me an auto any day. Especially when you're sat in crawling traffic.
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    All the things you mention are second nature to any halfway decent driver. As I say if I just wanted to steer I'd go for a ride on the dodgems.

i'm not saying I can't do it, I'm saying I don't want to do it

When you pay for a car in my opinion you pay for luxury and you pay for the ease of drive. The car virtually does most of the things itself, I just need to hit the acceleration, brake from time to time and then put it into park when I park.

That is what you call luxury. Manual cars just seem so old fashioned. Clutch, brake, handbrake, clutch, acceleration, brake, clutch, handbrake....no thanks!
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member

Competent drivers don't think about "fiddling with gears" or "clutch control and biting point"; it just happens almost sub-conciously.

People who worry about such things should really stick to the bus! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not saying I can't do it, I'm saying I don't want to do it

When you pay for a car in my opinion you pay for luxury and you pay for the ease of drive. The car virtually does most of the things itself, I just need to hit the acceleration, brake from time to time and then put it into park when I park.

That is what you call luxury. Manual cars just seem so old fashioned. Clutch, brake, handbrake, clutch, acceleration, brake, clutch, handbrake....no thanks!

Well I enjoy driving manuals because you have to do something. I guess you could liken it someone who likes flying getting a job as an airline pilot, where he gets to fly on autopilot 99% of the time. Sure it's easy, but how boring and how he wishes he was whizzing round in a light aircraft using the controls.
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive automatic - it's very lovely :)
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always ended up waiting for the automatic to change it's gears. Mine was a slow coach though admittedly. But it was weird having the instinct to change the gear but having to let someone else do it, so to speak.
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always ended up waiting for the automatic to change it's gears. Mine was a slow coach though admittedly. But it was weird having the instinct to change the gear but having to let someone else do it, so to speak.

A lot of automatics have no discernable "gear change" - my Audi has Continuous Variable Transmission. It took a bit of getting used to - felt like driving with a slipping clutch at first! Of course you can always switch to the paddle shift if you want to have a bit of fun :D
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Most would drive a manual as they are generally easier on fuel.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Automatics are really just for old people, fat Americans and incompetent drivers who never learned to change gear properly. :)

I am 24 and have to drive an automatic because of a disability. I don't really consider myself incompetent, fat or old.

Personally, I think an automatic gives you more time to concentrate on what is going on around you on the road whereas you could loose a little concentration while having to change gears. We have loads of fancy 'time saving' devices in the home and car that makes life easier yet when it comes to gears in a car everybody wants to be in control!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because the fun is changing the gears
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    I am 24 and have to drive an automatic because of a disability. I don't really consider myself incompetent, fat or old.

Personally, I think an automatic gives you more time to concentrate on what is going on around you on the road whereas you could loose a little concentration while having to change gears. We have loads of fancy 'time saving' devices in the home and car that makes life easier yet when it comes to gears in a car everybody wants to be in control!

In fairness, you won't ever do 70 mph with your microwave oven though ;)

I have owned both manuals and autos, in fact have recently returned to manual after two autos, and there are pros and cons for both. Manuals tend to give better fuel consumption, and are better for control in certain situations (engine braking); autos are much better in heavy traffic, and tend to give a more relaxed drive.