Options

What can Leona do to avoid the same fate as Alexandra Burke?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
Forum Member
The buzz on the internet seems to suggest that Leona is gearing up to finally launch her new single and then her new album.

Leona's career so far has had several false starts and with the complete collapse of Alexandra Burke's career Leona and her team must be nervous about this next attempt at chart success. Despite selling over 2.5 million Echo was considered enough of a flop for the plug to pulled on it after just 2 singles. And then Collide the first single off of the new album stalled at #4 on the charts and the whole project was pushed back by almost a year. During this time Alexandra Burke launched her 2nd album which flopped majorly only managing less than 7,000 copies in its first week, obviously this will serve as a reminder that this truly is make or break time for Leona.

Its been a long time since the highest highs of Leona's career and so radio support is not guaranteed at all, something that severely affect Alexandra Burke. Like Alex, Leona's personality has always been brought to task, although for being too shy and boring as opposed to too brash. And finally she has the X Factor label, something which has been both a curse and a blessing for its many contestants.

Comments

• Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    What can she do? Release an amazing song that radio can't ignore. That's pretty much the only guaranteed way of ensuring success.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    What can she do? Release an amazing song that radio can't ignore. That's pretty much the only guaranteed way of ensuring success.

Basically this.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of it is simply down to the music. Alexandra's second album, for me, it's truly awful. Ok I don't think her debut is a musical masterpiece but it definitely had much stronger, catchier, better crafted songs that really showed off Alex's great voice. Her second album, imo, is bland, monotonous, formulaic dance stuff I've heard a million times before, full of autotuning and cliches & rent-a-rappers. I think it's this music that let Alex down, first and foremost.

With Leona I guess she just needs to get a good mix of the big epic ballads that she became so loved for, that really show off just what an amazing voice she has, as well as some catchy upbeat numbers - but please, none of the generic dance trash that Alex is doing, which would make Leona sound like hundred other acts out there. Maybe some songs along the lines of Beyonce's. I don't mean copying Beyonce but I just think songs like If I Were A Boy, I Care & Irreplaceable would have been perfect for Leona! Those styles of songs. These sorts of songs would appeal to a wider audience too, not just teenagers. Wider audience means bigger sales surely!!

But definitely I agree a lot of it is in the promotion too and I really hope she gets herself out there and promotes her album to death. I hope the radio stations get behind her too and play her new stuff.

Leona is an immense talent. I think it's criminal she's not a worldwide star and having success on a par with the aforementioned Beyonce or Christina Aguilera (although admitedly poor Christina is in a bit of a lull at the moment too. I hope she's back on top again soon!)
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is simply down to the music. Alexandra's second album, for me, it's truly awful. Ok I don't think her debut is a musical masterpiece but it definitely had much stronger, catchier, better crafted songs that really showed off Alex's great voice. Her second album, imo, is bland, monotonous, formulaic dance stuff I've heard a million times before, full of autotuning and cliches & rent-a-rappers. I think it's this music that let Alex down, first and foremost.

Whilst I agree, the material isn't where it should be.

Have you actually heard the album? As there are only 2 features, both of them being the producers
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree, the material isn't where it should be.

Have you actually heard the album? As there are only 2 features, both of them being the producers

Yes I have heard the album, thank you, and 2 is more than enough, as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'm just sick to the back teeth of lame assed guest rappers on so many songs today. To me they don't enhance any song, they just ruin them and so often spoil the mood/flow of a song for me. Especially as half the time I think their rapping sounds so lazy and half hearted and the lyrics are so weak, with nothing to say!

Btw no, I don't hate all rap (before anyone says, lol). It's most certainly not my favourite musical genre but I just prefer older stuff - the likes of LL Cool J, The Beastie Boys, De La Soul, Grandmaster Flash, The Roots, early Black Eyed Peas and Public Enemy - rappers with an edge, killer rhythms and something important to say. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    From what I've heard and also read, I think Leona will be fine. The material sounds to be at a high standard and is a mixture of her older signature styles and new experimental sounds. I think because she seems so behind the record she will promote lots. She won't become the biggest star on earth, but she'll sell well and most importantly I think she'll deliver a good record! I'm really looking forward to hearing from her again :)
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy Capital a massive cake.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexs album was poor, so Leona just needs good material that she already has listening to many of the songs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Leona is already one of those artists who has fans (even casual) who will be on the look out for her next album regardless.
    She has a bigger fan base and more of an adult following than Alexandra, I think.

Her album will do fine I think... Though obviously she's very unlikely to ever reach the heights or success of "Spirit" again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She needs to change the album cover, the revealed one is disgusting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is such a thing. Radio programmers make their playlists based on every other factor BUT quality.

Anyway, what Leona can do is release the much hyped 'Trouble' and try to make it work. If the song fails to enter the top 10, she needs to give up the entire album (whose title I can't even remember), wave goodbye to her current label and find a direction, a style and a label that suits her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Just stumbled across this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8jd9krNOV1rdyr8do1_r2_1280.jpg

May very well be fake (maybe one of her fans could confirm?) but if its true she's got Calvin Harris and Drake on the record she may already be in a better place than Alexandra was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should stop expecting so much, so what she won X Factor that was like 6 or so years ago. Leona is a talented vocalist but she should stick to an Alicia Keys style and not even touch dance music because that is how she will fail like Alexandra the Burke.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

May very well be fake (maybe one of her fans could confirm?) but if its true she's got Calvin Harris and Drake on the record she may already be in a better place than Alexandra was.

I think that's fake. Alex had no airplay from either of the majors, which is an issue, also promo. Summer is risky. Leona is releasing when she never fails to sell, X factor time. Until they stop releasing then (Also this is Leona, she made that show have success on a big level) she's fine. Also she can get promo too...I hope. Modest can be weird at times. 1D have another album out at the same time too. Leona is well liked and received on Radio 1 and 2 playlists, Alex received minimal (if any) from either during her debut. Totally different. Capital won't hammer Leona, they never have. Alex lost their support and then didn't chart well. LeLe has the support of the 2 album sellers, R1+2, she will be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, Since the OP knows so much about Ms Burke, they will also know she will never go the same way. She has people making sure she won't ever not sell. Hence the pushback and also the fight with Syco. They aren't taking a massive risk with Leona. This is Simon's baby. She'll be fine :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll be happy if the Drake feature on fireflies is true as that will help her majorly in America, doubt it is true though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll be happy if the Drake feature on fireflies is true as that will help her majorly in America, doubt it is true though

It would be interesting. Very interesting. But it would have to work. It might not get urban plays unless it's urban, and then pop won't touch it. There's rhythmic, a midway between the two but it'd have to smash to crossover to pop :) I wonder about this album, it needs to be epic. Modest better have some global promo for her.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a fake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about radio airplay and promotion. I'm not buying the 'Alexandra's music wasn't good enough' argument after Pixie Lott released total trash yet managed to land straight in the top 10 with all her singles thanks to Capital and their devotion to her. The promotion is what counts, Alexandra's management were dreadful and she was nowhere to be seen on the release week of her album plus it didn't help that the Elephant premiere was botched and relations with Capital (which used to be good) fell through.

Leona's management need to take things more seriously, Collide was badly managed with just one TV performance and hardly any focus on radio airplay.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra was not relevant, she didn't really have a title like Leona, JLS & Olly had. Then she sold out & released generic autotune songs. That is why it sold less than 7k in the first week lol
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Leona is in a much different place than Alex. Alex was black-listed by most of the big radio stations, where as Leona isn't. Leona's work with Radio 1 will surely guarantee her airplay there. Not to mention Radio 2 is normally good to Leona too. Another thing, Leona will get the exposure of the X-factor once again and multiple promotion during the the 4th quarter. In addition, Leona has had much more international success than Alexandra. All Leona really needs is the right material, which it seems she has because they took an extra year to work on the album.
  • Options
    Krusty111Krusty111 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sales of Heartbreak on Hold are irrelevant really as this year has been TERRIBLE for album sales - just look at last week's #1, Rihanna's Talk That Talk returned to #1 on sales of less than 10k! But I'm hopeful that Leona's sales won't suffer as she is releasing during the most busiest period in the year with the lead up to Christmas, sales usually pick right up and sell 100k+ every week usually. Anyway what you should focus on is the chart position, and yes, Alexandra did indeed flop in that respect unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexandra's fans vs. Leona's fans in a stan war?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/293/590/6f6.gif
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It's all about radio airplay and promotion. I'm not buying the 'Alexandra's music wasn't good enough' argument after Pixie Lott released total trash yet managed to land straight in the top 10 with all her singles thanks to Capital and their devotion to her. The promotion is what counts, Alexandra's management were dreadful and she was nowhere to be seen on the release week of her album plus it didn't help that the Elephant premiere was botched and relations with Capital (which used to be good) fell through.

Leona's management need to take things more seriously, Collide was badly managed with just one TV performance and hardly any focus on radio airplay.

Alexandra's material wasn't good enough. The only reason Pixie's singles did well were because she is a likeable character and she promoted, 2 things which HOH didn't have as Alexandra isn't liked and I've only heard of 2 or 3 TV performances
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra's material wasn't good enough. The only reason Pixie's singles did well were because she is a likeable character and she promoted, 2 things which HOH didn't have as Alexandra isn't liked and I've only heard of 2 or 3 TV performances

Pixie only sold well because of Capital. It had nothing to do with 'likeable character' or whatever and that is it. She is a dreadful performer, miming on Red or Black and releasing awful music. Despite all her support, her album still charted in the same place as Alexandra's, only her singles did well due to radio support...