Is Hollyoaks too ''gay''?

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
forgive me for starting this thread :o

im just wanting to get some views on the subject as i only have facebook which is full of comments such as 'why are there so many gays in one tiny village'
even though its perfectly possible for there to be that many gays.
as in my street theres a couple of lesbians down the road, and about 3 gay students, and an older gay couple a few doors down. and this is all in one road. so its not that implausable that there would be so many 'gays' in one village.

im more interested in the thoughts on the gay focused storylines. is it 'too much' could it be alienating viewers, or does it not matter one jot?

i remember in Corrie a couple of years ago, there were stories in the press that it was too gay because they had like 3 gay characters :rolleyes:

Comments

• bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say there is quite a high gay representation in Hollyoaks, but as long as their storylines aren’t 100% dictated by their sexuality, I don’t mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George and Vincent are the two gay characters that annoy me the most. Its not their sexuality that's the problem, the whole storyline is completely boring and the dude playing Vincent could do with acting lessons.

JP and Ste are probably my favorites and I'm interest to see where this storyline with Danny goes.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Tribe Spirit, I slightly disagree with you about George and Vincent. I like them both, and now that Vincent's finally (FINALLY) come out, I'd like to see where their story takes them as long as it's done well.

I really like the JP and Danny storyline, it's probably the one I like best and find myself getting interested in at the moment.
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Id say there is a high representation of Gays but as bumpandgrind say since there SLs arent dictated by their sexuality its not a problem. It is great they are representing gays but they do seem to be lacking in non white characters, theres 3 and one is set to leave and i can see Vincent hanging around much longer.
    I wonder how long till this thread gets deviated by Vaslav to complain about EE.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats too gay??:confused:
    Does it really matter how many gay characters there are, Why don't you focus on the storylines and characters OP???
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think so I'm not a huge fan of sexuality based storylines, where being gay and coming out is a big deal and everyone has to be so secretive I find them naff and degrading at times but no the thing it I find HO handles its gay characters quite well but they do get it wrong Noah *cough* and this Vincent stuff bores me no end and I don't like them constant changing previously straight people gay, its a cop out, bring someone who is gay in.

Hollyoaks did one of my all time favourite storylines and couples that is JP and Craig that was kind of the start of bring gay characters back to the forefront in 2007 after that a lot of soaps started taking noticed and introducing similar storylines.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could say is EastEnders too straight?
  • MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    hetty100 wrote: »
    Does it really matter how many gay characters there are, Why don't you focus on the storylines and characters OP???

This.

Who cares about peoples sexual orientation?
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not unless you think gay is a negative.

Maybe some of the plots have been contrived, but I think once you introduce gay characters you can either reduce them to token roles or you can naturally expand their world to include partners, lovers and friends.

Tilly was brought in to help Esther explore her sexuality. Vincent to provide drama between best friends Phoebe and George. The decision to make Danny bisexual at least provided some shock value to his arrival and has been John Paul's first love interest since he returned.
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Whats too gay??:confused:<Bite>
    Andrew Stone? :o
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    This.

It's not an issue at all, but in any soap you would certainly expect a note of realism, perhaps 90% straight characters and 10% gay ones......clearly if there was a 50-50 split on a soap, it would be bordering on the ridiculous (and you could probably accuse the producers of pursuing an agenda in such a case).
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

:confused::confused::confused:
    i did expect some of the ''who cares brigaide'' to make an appearance :D

i was asking about others views.
    going by the fact corrie has press stories, and the negative comments on facebook.
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's not an issue at all, but in any soap you would certainly expect a note of realism, perhaps 90% straight characters and 10% gay ones......clearly if there was a 50-50 split on a soap, it would be bordering on the ridiculous (and you could probably accuse the producers of pursuing an agenda in such a case).
    About 10% of the current cast (if that) are gay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont watch Hollyoaks regularly enough to know who is gay or straight but my bugbear is that EastEnders with the exception of Danny who appears to Bi now after being Gay at first has ignored LGBT characters since Chryed left.

At least Hollyoaks and Coronation Street represents the LGBT community, EastEnders has failed to do since Chryed departed as Danny has no storyline of his own since he returned.
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I dont watch Hollyoaks regularly enough to know who is gay or straight but my bugbear is that EastEnders with the exception of Danny who appears to Bi now after being Gay at first has ignored LGBT characters since Chryed left.

At least Hollyoaks and Coronation Street represents the LGBT community, EastEnders has failed to do since Chryed departed as Danny has no storyline of his own since he returned.

How do you know Danny was just gay at first? :confused:
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 10% of the current cast (if that) are gay.

That's fair enough then and answers the question posed by the OP :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has not been explained yet MrWoodySir
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Hollyoaks is too gay, it is quite realistic actually but I really would like soap operas to not make a character shout every five minutes that they are gay. Being gay/lesbian is part of your sexual orientation and you don't see a straight character in soap operas saying every time that they are straight or having a 'being straight' storyline. People who are gay/lesbian should be treated equally as a straight person, not as something that soap operas feel the need to create a storyline based on that fact. Yes I know being gay wasn't common back in the days but it is common now so it isn't something we aren't aware of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Completely unrealistic, there's not that many openly gay characters in one area, everytime I turn HO on I see men snogging on the screen, so I turn it off again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's not unrealistic. The show could have 80% gay characters and still not be unrealisitc.

As long as they're not just repeating the same storylines over and over, or using it to make a character interesting, or for sensationalism, then it's fine.

I love how Esther and Tilly are a normal lesbian couple with no tags or hang-ups. George is a teen completely comfortable with being gay. John-Paul is a gay man who is a parent, has adult responsibilites, and isn't a stereotype. Ste had a large range of storylines that don't centre around his sexuality, he just happens to be gay, which is great to see now.

The only thing I would have qualms about is 'turning' after being in the show for years (Sarah, Texas, Ste, Doug). I'm fine with Ste now though, it just took some getting accustomed to at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks seems to big on diversity which is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact there are no gays, no lesbians and one bi guy in an East End Square in 2013 is very, very unrealistic..
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

exactly 1 year ago today:eek::cool:
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I don't think Hollyoaks is too gay, it is quite realistic actually but I really would like soap operas to not make a character shout every five minutes that they are gay. Being gay/lesbian is part of your sexual orientation and you don't see a straight character in soap operas saying every time that they are straight or having a 'being straight' storyline. People who are gay/lesbian should be treated equally as a straight person, not as something that soap operas feel the need to create a storyline based on that fact. Yes I know being gay wasn't common back in the days but it is common now so it isn't something we aren't aware of.

Gay characters have romantic relationships. Straight characters have romantic relationships. Neither are "shouting" about their sexuality, they are living life and the staple of soaps are relationships.

The reason why straight characters have no need to mention that they are straight is due to society! It's expected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    It is unrealistic, 80 percent of Hollyoaks gay? Are you high? When do you ever go into an area and have 80 percent of the population being gay? Even Brighton isn't that gay!