More Paterson Joseph rumours and odds

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jodo wrote: »
    If Paterson Joseph or another non caucasian actor were to be cast as the Doctor what I would love to see is him looking in the mirror post regenration and going "no, no ,no, no, no. It's not fair!" and when asked by his companion what is wrong to reply "ten regenerations and I still haven't had ginger hair" and completely ignore the change in skin tone! (Let's face it over 900 years of Tardis travelling and there isn't a skin tone in creation the Doctor hasn't seen so how interested would he be in his own changing.)

Bang on. I can just see that happening, actually! :D It reminds me of The Shakespeare Code, when the Doctor doesn't even recognise Martha's race as an issue.
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least you lot are spelling 'Paterson' with one 't' now....

D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you read this post: ?

It is part of the problem. Getting rid of it is no solution, but is a step forward.

Try and tell Jesse Jackson that labels are not a problem.

Yes, I read the post.

I think in certain cases intent is worse than a label and I will tell that to Jesse Jackson :rolleyes: . Someone can call you "British", but use it in the most hateful and xenophobic way possible. So we run away from using it?!

I still do not understand the problem with use of "African". Should African people stop using it because some people have negative opinions of their continent?! or do the negative opinions or "stigma" only come in when used to describe African American people?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure racism didn't suddenly go away when the n-word became unacceptable, but, as wildbill_hicock said, it's a step forward.

People still use "the n-word" and racism hasn't gone away.

Changing another name would just lead to more confusion. Some people still cannot get their head around all the different labels we use in the UK and we are supposed to be the ones with less racial issues.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've clearly been tasking stupid pills because it has only just clicked with me that Paterson Joseph was in Bad Wolf and The Parting of The Ways...:o

Anyway, I think he'd be a pretty decent choice as it goes. At least it wouldn't be a predictable choice and also it would be very interesting to see how he played the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    Got something against black people, do we?

There is a thread called Are we ready for a Black Doctor? and Solenoid seems to thinks that any black Doctor would be "quota filling stunt casting PC BBC gone mad" blah blah blah.

Honestly it doesn't matter which actor it is, however talented he is, or right for the part if he is black it is stuntcasting etc etc.

However of course this is not Solenoid being in denial that he may have a touch of latent racism in his comments because he does have some friends who aren't white and even though we all know the Doctor is an alien, Solenoid knows better that he is a white British male.

I can't even be bothered to argue about it anymore... Coming to these forums gets me down a bit now.

For a show that has always tried to promote tolerance, some Whovians come across as pretty intolerant.
  • berncolberncol Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, if PJ were to be the (real) next Doctor it would make The Parting Of The Ways unique in that three successive actors to play The Doctor appear in the same episode.
    I think his time is coming. After Christmas I'm sure it will be official.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    There is a thread called Are we ready for a Black Doctor? and Solenoid seems to thinks that any black Doctor would be "quota filling stunt casting PC BBC gone mad" blah blah blah.

Honestly it doesn't matter which actor it is, however talented he is, or right for the part if he is black it is stuntcasting etc etc.

However of course this is not Solenoid being in denial that he may have a touch of latent racism in his comments because he does have some friends who aren't white and even though we all know the Doctor is an alien, Solenoid knows better that he is a white British male.

I can't even be bothered to argue about it anymore... Coming to these forums gets me down a bit now.

For a show that has always tried to promote tolerance, some Whovians come across as pretty intolerant.

You've hit the nail on the head for me......this is exactly how I felt when the word "she" was used by Sky in the Episode Midnight....something which was a blink and miss it moment for me.....but so many took an issue to it on the Midnight Thread.....I felt quite annoyed at this attitude...but more so worried that people would take an issue at such a small word....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, I am with you on that one as well it was a pronoun too far for some people.

Which is daft as even now in society it is not profoundly shocking if someone is gay, never mind in the future when you'd hope sexuality would be still less of an issue.

It does wind me up when people dress up their own fears and insecurities as "it's not right for Doctor Who" or for kids to see. I know when I have kids I will be happy to explain that colour and sexuality aren't what you judge people or their ideas on.

And growing up with Doctor Who certainly informed the way I feel about the world in a liberal way. I kno it's not the same for everyone but I am disappointed when people (or indeed papers such as - erm Daily Mail) get really Daily Mail about things for no good reason!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

People who say the casting of a non-caucasian actor is done 'quota filling' are basically saying non-caucasian actors have no other purpose. It belittles their talent and hard work. You might as well say only white people earn their roles or deseve them. I find that pretty offensive.

Of course some people will say I am being naive. Of course quota filling happens, but to write every casting of a black actor as that is pretty short-sighted and a very cliched argument.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    People who say the casting of a non-caucasian actor is done 'quota filling' are basically saying non-caucasian actors have no other purpose. It belittles their talent and hard work. You might as well say only white people earn their roles or deseve them. I find that pretty offensive.

If PJ was white there'd be no question of his qualifications as an actor for the role. He's done comedy and drama, theatre and TV work and been well received in all of them. He's the right age and is well known but not "famous".

The idea that the colour of his skin would somehow make him a token or PC appointment is both ludicrous and offensive.

The funny thing is outside of DW related message boards I haven't seen any fuss being made out of the possibility of him getting the part. Even the Tabloids, who you might expect to make something of it, haven't passed any major comments on his colour when reporting on the front runners for the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    well since he was shot at the end of Survivors, and they have announced a new series has been commisioned, but not mentioned his name as returning... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the best thing about Survivors too, that programme represents 6 hours of my life that I will never get back : (
    Forum Member
    He was the best thing about Survivors too, that programme represents 6 hours of my life that I will never get back : (

Why did you give it 6 hours of your life? Surely you could have only given it 1 or 2 before realising you didn't like it? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other half wanted to stick at it because "it'll get better" - it didn't though
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whos this patterson joseph then wots he been in?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whos this patterson joseph then wots he been in?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterson_Joseph
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh of course i know him-how can they change him into the doctor though when hes already been in it as someone else?

then again they done it with martha i suppose

wot are the odds then for him being tnd?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh of course i know him-how can they change him into the doctor though when hes already been in it as someone else?

then again they done it with martha i suppose

wot are the odds then for him being tnd?

This has happened before. In the original series the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker appeared as a supporting character in a story starring the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    This has happened before. In the original series the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker appeared as a supporting character in a story starring the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison

Not forgetting Romana chose to look like someone else. Anything is possible in Doctor Who.
  • holly_oaholly_oa Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bound to be him so why has this thread been let to slip....