Matt is taking it too seriously

Comments

• Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Matt is trying hard like you would expect any conestant to do so. I appreciate his hard work and thought it was unfair when one of the judges (Craig I think it was) described him as 'desperate'.

I would rather watch a tryer than a cruser (prob wrong spelling for both). Ann W I felt was more of the latter - I didn't appreciate that (though I admit, she was amusing at times).
  • mictheminimicthemini Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winsome, I think I agree with you about Matt not being 'in' the dance. But I think this has only been over the past 3-4 weeks. And maybe it's the inconsistent marking that has to do with it - as Shrew said - if you can forget your dance and get dragged around the floor and still get great marks, well...

And as for Matt storming off, like Parthena said, we didn't see the full story, and he had a showdance to do. I think these things are just done for effect - 'shock, horror, clean, nice Matt strops off'. Yeh right.

And to show how hard criticism is - wow, look what happens when our posts get criticised. How much do we defend ourselves, how much do we go on the attack? So how hard must it be to stand up, in front of a live audience and be told 'you was rubbish' (Alisha :-) )

PS Parthena - with you on the flushes, night sweats, etc
  • PastaPasta Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it a longer clip in the highlights show thias evening? Matt was clearly already taking his shirt off while walking quickly to the dressing room for his quick change.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC is really trying to show that he's petulant or something. Give that guy a break, he's got like 3 minutes to change into that woeful swingathon outfit!:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is really trying to show that he's petulant or something. Give that guy a break, he's got like 3 minutes to change into that woeful swingathon outfit!:mad:

I'm not sure whether you think I'm getting at Matt - I was saying that he clearly wasn't being pissy, just in a rush. However, I'm probably just misunderstanding your point.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sad that they didnt have time to talk to him getting through to the final tonight, again he has been treated badly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pasta wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether you think I'm getting at Matt - I was saying that he clearly wasn't being pissy, just in a rush. However, I'm probably just misunderstanding your point.

I shouldn't have quoted you, I was just writing what I felt, and it has no direct relation to what you said.

Sorry. Maybe I shall edit it. :o
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Give them a break, he's projected very positively in Countyfile and I think they just attempted to show how serious he's taking it, but unfortunately it doesn't come across that way.
    He was really grimacing whilst waiting for the result.
    As many have said he needs to lighten up, it'll help his performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I thought that too. He looked as though he was rushing off to change.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    sad that they didnt have time to talk to him getting through to the final tonight, again he has been treated badly

Oh for goodness sake its the way the results show works if they had left Kara to the end they wouldnt have spoken to her either........he will be on ITT during the week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Why shouldn't he look "almost in tears"? If you'd been dancing your bullocks off, having been under pressure for weeks to compete with insufficient practice time, had just finished a very energetic, complex routine and were met by that hateful sneer from Len, how would you feel? It wasn't merely the words, it was the horrible tone in which they were delivered. I think Matt was totally shocked by such rudeness because that sort of behaviour is so far from anything he would stoop to. Then to have a flibbertigibbet like Alesha talking down at you :mad:

See how you, and Doghouse of all people :eek: fell for that manipulative VT of Matt rushing like mad (and not in the same direction as Aliona cos they don't change together) to get changed for the energetic thingython in 3 minutes' time. I've just stumbled upon a few naive, impressionable voters in here, think how that adds up in the country at large in today's red-top culture, from which the BBC now wishes to claw in viewers :mad:

No-one is more frustrated than I am that we've never been allowed to see the best of Matt because of substandard routines and insufficient practice - he looks stressed and sweaty because it's a battle to get through the routine with the right technique and without major errors - if he'd had simpler, more appropriate choreography he might have been able to relax into the dances. Even with a half-decent tango last night they put Aliona in a dress that cluttered the lines (admittedly The Hair was out of the way).

Almost from the start Matt was pushed and pushed to say he wanted tens, and that started the rot and it's been spreading ever since.

Matt is a superb example of young manhood in every way. He throws himself into whatever task is presented to him and we end up benefiting; he's a very personable, intelligent and skillful TV presenter - many Strictly viewers won't know that because his type of muck-raking isn't shown on tabloid TV.

I must add, just so you know where I'm coming from - I could cut my throat with these hot flushes so the fuse is very short, and I'm sincerely upset to see this type of thread here because I think it's based on false premises.

Well said!!! Get it off your chest, Pathena! :D
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rubbish. It isn't personal. The same woukd have happened to whoever was left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish. It isn't personal. The same woukd have happened to whoever was left.

The conspiracy minded would say: yes, of course - and they deliberately put him in that position, over Pam or Kara. Actually I think it is a legitimate problem with the structure of the results show at this stage, in their attempt to keep a sense of tension for a long as possible. Personally, I think they should have gone straight through the process, and had all the programme padding at the front. None of the finalists needed to have a pointless Tess-chat at this stage.

(I realise I might be coming over as a raving Matt-fan, in this thread, when I probably prefer Kara for the win. The petty-minded misrepresentation had annoyed me, but we'll clearly be getting it here all week now against all three of the finalists.)
  • miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I figured they got the 2 girls through to build the drama of the 3 guys being left. I didn't think he'd been hard done by, and I believed his quick 'mouthed' thank you as he hugged Aliona, much much more than the 2 minutes 'chat' with either of the girls.
    Good for Matt, I think he'll put this week's drama drama drama out of his head, and go full steam for the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give them a break, he's projected very positively in Countyfile and I think they just attempted to show how serious he's taking it, but unfortunately it doesn't come across that way.
    He was really grimacing whilst waiting for the result.
    As many have said he needs to lighten up, it'll help his performance.

He's taking it seriously. I would rather have that than someone like Ann who doesn't care less.:rolleyes:

Yes, he really wanted to make it to the final, but to see someone saying he's throwing his toy out of the pram when he was being interviewed by Tess prior to the final results segment in the semis are at best laughable, at worse plain nasty.
  • acertreeacertree Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fans of the other contestants are sweating. Good. Matt to win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    The conspiracy minded would say: yes, of course - and they deliberately put him in that position, over Pam or Kara.

I thought they wanted to play the three guys off against each other. Also it made more sense to leave the bottom three in the judges' scoring until last.

Personally I think it's great that Matt is clearly throwing everything, both physically and emotionally, into this competition. I totally respect that and this weekend has cemented his position as my favourite. That said, I think we have three fantastic finalists and would not be unhappy whoever wins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges must know by now that the harder they come down on someone, the more that person's vote goes up. And conversely nothing gets the public to desert someone more effectively than repeated overmarking.

Friday - Matt gets humiliated instead of merely criticised, so his fans start grimly steeling themselves for the day their December phone bill arrives. Scott gets nines for a passionless AT (I posted somewhere else that it was a Paso - shows how much it grabbed my attention). Matt is kept within striking distance, though, by his 2nd place in the swingathon.

Saturday - Matt redeems himself, thus showing his fans that he has the true grit they expect of him, but Scott still gets nines for an insipid Charleston. "Remarkably" they end up equal on the leader board, so everyone knows that their vote will count 100%.

That can have only one result. Btw, it's the result I wanted so I applaud the judges for their choice and how they ensured it would come about. But I have no illusions that we weren't manipulated.
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think he was treated badly at all tonight (unlike last night by the judges). The talks aren't that interesting anyway. This was the obvious way to play it with Matt and Scott having the same number of points. I was out when Kara and Pamela got through but I don't think I missed anything. The main thing is that he's through which he deserved to be.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acertree wrote: »
    Fans of the other contestants are sweating. Good. Matt to win.
    And the fact that I thought he was taking it too seriously long before I had a favourite does nothing to convince you that I actually happen to think it's true? I am getting a little bored of any negativity about Matt being met with accusations of jealousy or worry for people's favourites. Hasn't it ever crossed your mind that people genuinely think these things and have a right to do so?
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two out of three finalists have been consistently hard working and dedicated.
    Two out of three finalists have not stooped to over-acting a faux story-line to gain public votes.
    Two out of three finalists have been consistently under-marked to make way for the judges favoured contender.

I just hope one of the deserving finalists wins in the end.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the fact that I thought he was taking it too seriously long before I had a favourite does nothing to convince you that I actually happen to think it's true? I am getting a little bored of any negativity about Matt being met with accusations of jealousy or worry for people's favourites. Hasn't it ever crossed your mind that people genuinely think these things and have a right to do so?
    Agree.

Will admit to being totally confused by why Matt has not improved much since week 1. Is it Aliona or is it Matt or is it a bit of both?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I think Matt is trying hard like you would expect any conestant to do so. I appreciate his hard work and thought it was unfair when one of the judges (Craig I think it was) described him as 'desperate'.

I would rather watch a tryer than a cruser (prob wrong spelling for both). Ann W I felt was more of the latter - I didn't appreciate that (though I admit, she was amusing at times).

I think you may be missing the context in which Craig was talking when he made that remark - which I personally think is accurate ...

Craig wasn't saying Matt was desperate because he wasn't trying hard, or because he was 'cruising'.

On both Friday and Saturday, we saw two VT clips of Matt appearing desperate to lift the glitterball. The clips were remarkable in that nobody else has been as blunt about their desire to win (not even Gavin ;)). Pamela appears to be in a state of disbelief about her success and I get the impression that Kara may have some self-esteem issues (she couldn't work out why everyone was saying so many nice things about her - bless). So Matt talking about wanting to win as if it's all that matters rather stands out like a sore thumb - and attitude and determination fitted his tango last night, they were completely at odds with the salsa, which is a social dance. (It obviously doesn't help that Aliona turned it into some kind of awful disco showdance with a few basic salsa steps slung in).

If Matt put his desperation to win to one side and felt the mood of the music more, it could work massively in his favour.

Especially if Aliona gets her choreography in order.

All he has to do is relax and enjoy the ride more. I get the impression, however, that's not entirely in his nature ...
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he takes his lead from Aliona and is genuinely confused when his somewhat weird routines do not meet with approval from the judges because he has done exactly what he has been taught.

He seems an uncomplicated straightforward guy who wants to please in a puppy dog sort of way and his dancing mistress is wilfully making him bend the rules and lets him take the flak when they are pulled up. He has not worked out he is being used.
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonydancer wrote: »

Friday - Matt gets humiliated instead of merely criticised, so his fans start grimly steeling themselves for the day their December phone bill arrives. .......... But I have no illusions that we weren't manipulated.

Yep, my phone bill is at the cost of Aunty Mary's crochet weekly subscription!