Backing up photos online - OneDrive being a pain!

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
Decided it was time to backup all our holiday photos online. I've got 40GB free on my OneDrive account so plenty of space but I'm having major problems uploading them.

When I just try and use the web interface it seems to want to only copy 100 photos per folder, but some folders have over 1000 photos in them.

I haven't tried the Windows 7 application yet as I can't find a way to tell it to backup the photos off an external hard drive where they're located. It wants me to put them all in OneDrive folder under my Documents folder on my C: drive and there isn't enough room to move them all across.

Any ideas? How do the rest of you backup photos online?

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Decided it was time to backup all our holiday photos online. I've got 40GB free on my OneDrive account so plenty of space but I'm having major problems uploading them.

When I just try and use the web interface it seems to want to only copy 100 photos per folder, but some folders have over 1000 photos in them.

I haven't tried the Windows 7 application yet as I can't find a way to tell it to backup the photos off an external hard drive where they're located. It wants me to put them all in OneDrive folder under my Documents folder on my C: drive and there isn't enough room to move them all across.

I wouldn't bother personally. Just back up to a hard drive or USB stick.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I use, a local hard drive, a Connected Data Transporter at my Son's house and Backblaze.

But then I'm cautious.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't bother personally. Just back up to a hard drive or USB stick.

My plan is to do that as well. I've got an old laptop hard drive that I've backed up all my important data too including holiday photos and that is locked in my desk drawer at work. I just liked the idea of having it also stored 'in the cloud' since I had all this free storage space already.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

Are you using internet explorer?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Are you using internet explorer?

Was using Chrome.

I've downloaded SDExplorer which makes it easier now. Just at the rate it's going on my 40meg fibre connection it's going to take a week to upload them all.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burn some CD/DVDs costs are almost nothing, like less than £1 for a number of copies, takes maybe 30 min. Safer than using an old half dead Hard Disk Drive.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three copies (ever since I lost a lot of photos because I didn't do any backups):

1. File History (W8.1, or Windows Backup or AllSync for W7) to an external disc drive.

2. I keep a memory stick handy, and copy new photos to this immediately.

3. Copy/Paste to a second external drive.

I also have a Flickr account, but I only upload pics occasionally, because I don't really like the software.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not simply put photos in a zip file and just upload 1 or several zip file(s)?