Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    skteosk wrote: »
    You're quite right: According to IMDb, Sarah Lam did play Lin Lo in two episodes of Holby City (as well as being in Howards' Way).

Oh wow, same actress. I wasn't watching Casualty very closely but I really need to pay more attention!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shya100 wrote: »
    It would be great if they realised this with all the characters. I mean Jac and Jonny... really... really like those too weren't brilliant enough trying to deal with the very real personality issues there.

The Whose the Daddy story line... like they couldn't have played that as a marriage falling apart. The girl playing Amy was leaving anyway.

The potential of Ollie/Zosia - like that wouldn't get never ending mileage out of the issues of these two.

The Greg/Sahira relationship was a really good idea because things like that do happen... but it was executed in the end badly.

They should just actually give the characters a reason for being, apart from their relationship is one way of avoiding having to do the bad and the ugly.

Yes i agree, Jac and Jonny had such amazing chemistry and we're such different personalities (though actually being quite similar character wise deep down, i actually wrote about this straight after Jonny's second episode on HTV) thare was enough there to make it interesting. Jac being so closed off and damaged, her being the 'boss' plus the fact that there was another woman' right from the start, Mo and the idea of the third part being a platonic friend of the opposite gender was great. It was always subtext but it seemed to me that Mo was fine with Jonny dating and shagging around as she knew she was the most important person in his life, they'd always have Tuesday Beer Night. Jac and then Bonnie came along (not to mention Emma), Mo was sidelined and she didn't really like it but couldn't say as it would seem petty. Deep down, jac and Bonnie probably didn't like Jonny having this other 'allegiance' either.
    It might seem weird but i know from my own experience that 'best friends' noses can be put out of joint as you get involved in a really serious relationship and work and drinking after after work are no longer the main part of your life.

Again yes. Infertility is a massive issue, it can break the strongest marriage - especially if, as in Any and Raf's case, one spouse will anything and everything to have a child and the other thinks some steps are just steps too far. Raf not being able to cope with IVF with another man's sperm was a dramatic interesting plot enough but they had to over egg it and have her sleep with Harry and a paternity issue. Making Amy into such an incredibly unsympathetic, selfish woman didn't help either. It was ALL about her, even to the extent of buggering off as soon as the baby was born, uncaring if Raf or Harry's feelings and even naming the kid (sired by another man) Callum, the Scottish name Raf had already said he wanted for his son.
  • Options
    shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes i agree, Jac and Jonny had such amazing chemistry and we're such different personalities (though actually being quite similar character wise deep down, i actually wrote about this straight after Jonny's second episode on HTV) thare was enough there to make it interesting. Jac being so closed off and damaged, her being the 'boss' plus the fact that there was another woman' right from the start, Mo and the idea of the third part being a platonic friend of the opposite gender was great. It was always subtext but it seemed to me that Mo was fine with Jonny dating and shagging around as she knew she was the most important person in his life, they'd always have Tuesday Beer Night. Jac and then Bonnie came along (not to mention Emma), Mo was sidelined and she didn't really like it but couldn't say as it would seem petty. Deep down, jac and Bonnie probably didn't like Jonny having this other 'allegiance' either.
    It might seem weird but i know from my own experience that 'best friends' noses can be put out of joint as you get involved in a really serious relationship and work and drinking after after work are no longer the main part of your life.

Again yes. Infertility is a massive issue, it can break the strongest marriage - especially if, as in Any and Raf's case, one spouse will anything and everything to have a child and the other thinks some steps are just steps too far. Raf not being able to cope with IVF with another man's sperm was a dramatic interesting plot enough but they had to over egg it and have her sleep with Harry and a paternity issue. Making Amy into such an incredibly unsympathetic, selfish woman didn't help either. It was ALL about her, even to the extent of buggering off as soon as the baby was born, uncaring if Raf or Harry's feelings and even naming the kid (sired by another man) Callum, the Scottish name Raf had already said he wanted for his son.

Yes Holby has quite the ups and downs with their relationships. Eddinand Luc were a pretty good example of a couple who had their issues to deal with and that actually worked. They have done it occasionally... Here is hoping they do more of it.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm biased in that I never really took to Jonny but I honestly don't think there was amazing chemistry between him and Jac; it was average-good at best. There was amazing chemistry between her and Joseph; it was leaping off the screen.

There have not been that many couples where the chemistry was off the scale; for me obviously Jac and Joseph take first place. There was also great chemistry between Luc and Eddi. Can't think of any others that grabbed me the same way, really. I loved Chantelle and Digby together but they did not go down the romance route.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know I'm biased in that I never really took to Jonny but I honestly don't think there was amazing chemistry between him and Jac; it was average-good at best. There was amazing chemistry between her and Joseph; it was leaping off the screen.

There have not been that many couples where the chemistry was off the scale; for me obviously Jac and Joseph take first place. There was also great chemistry between Luc and Eddi. Can't think of any others that grabbed me the same way, really. I loved Chantelle and Digby together but they did not go down the romance route.

I think Jac had really great chemistry with both of them. Iu was the biggest Jac/Joseph shipper, i would say I was borderline obsessed for a while and gutted when he left. But, for all that I liked Jonny and the interaction with Jac from the moment he appeared on screen and usually it takes me some time to warm to any new character, especially if involved in a romance with somebody I have previously shipped with somebody else.

I did still prefer her with Joseph but only just if I'm honest, they both treated her fairly appallingly at times but I'd say Joseph did have a lot more reason to. But the pragmatist in me accepted from the moment that they married Joseph off screen that there was no chance of them ever bringing him back for a HEA so I guess from that point on, I invested more in Janny although it was nearly killed off during Connie and custody case time.

I find it difficult to think of many couples with real chemistry either. Yes, Luc and. Eddi and that might be due to the off screen attraction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jac had really great chemistry with both of them. Iu was the biggest Jac/Joseph shipper, i would say I was borderline obsessed for a while and gutted when he left. But, for all that I liked Jonny and the interaction with Jac from the moment he appeared on screen and usually it takes me some time to warm to any new character, especially if involved in a romance with somebody I have previously shipped with somebody else.

I did still prefer her with Joseph but only just if I'm honest, they both treated her fairly appallingly at times but I'd say Joseph did have a lot more reason to. But the pragmatist in me accepted from the moment that they married Joseph off screen that there was no chance of them ever bringing him back for a HEA so I guess from that point on, I invested more in Janny although it was nearly killed off during Connie and custody case time.

I find it difficult to think of many couples with real chemistry either. Yes, Luc and. Eddi and that might be due to the off screen attraction.

They both treated her badly at times, that is true. But I always felt that even when Joseph hated Jac, he really hated her because he loved her so much, if you know what I mean. Whereas when Jonny hated her, he just, well, hated her!!

What I used to love and watch out for (obsessed as I was) was even when Joseph and Jac were not a couple, if they found themselves in a scene together the actors would always find a way of sneaking in a glance that said so much more than words. I put that down to the (on screen) chemistry that Rosie had with Luke. She did not work in the same way with the actor who played Jonny - I can't even remember his name now!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They both treated her badly at times, that is true. But I always felt that even when Joseph hated Jac, he really hated her because he loved her so much, if you know what I mean. Whereas when Jonny hated her, he just, well, hated her!!

What I used to love and watch out for (obsessed as I was) was even when Joseph and Jac were not a couple, if they found themselves in a scene together the actors would always find a way of sneaking in a glance that said so much more than words. I put that down to the (on screen) chemistry that Rosie had with Luke. She did not work in the same way with the actor who played Jonny - I can't even remember his name now!!!

Hmm, yes Roberts and Marcel did do a very good job of playing subtext but to be fair, i think there was more subtext to be played with in the actual text than with Jonny during the Bonnie/Custody time. Frankly, i just think Seasons 9 - 12 were much better written than Season 16. As I commented at the time, there was no continuity from one week to the next as to whether Jonny was supposed to be purely rebounding with Bonnie, whether he really did love her and want to marry her - for instance the episode after proposing he clearly regretted it, and was asking Jac to voice her feelings so he'd have a reason to dump Bonnie; 2 weeks later he's telling Jac Bonnie is his future even after Jac asks him not to leave and seems as though she is the only love he has ever had when she is killed. Hard to play (or even understand) you character's motivations and feelings when given such contradictory material to play week after week. Perhaps Roberts who had experience of continuing drama just had more courage to play it as he thought Joseph really felt than Thomson did whose first television job it was and he has admitted he kept thinking he'd get the sack. Plus, we know from Ty Glazer who played Gemma that when she voiced doubts about Gemma gossiping (which was out of character) after the car crash which injured Malick and Chantelle that she was basically told to just shut up and play what was in the script. Note this was the same episode that Bonnie first appeared and Jonny started acting like douche (leaving the keys with no explanation) so Thomson might have had a similar reaction and also told to just play what was written and not worry about the logic of it.

We also know that Rosie Marcel was against the pregnancy and over ruled. So, basically it just sounds like the actors concerns weren't listened to in the way they were a few years earlier.

So, I'm prepared to give Thomson the benefit of the doubt re Jonny appearing to just hate Jac round that time, if the script gave him any leeway he did play underlying affection or at least regret it hadn't worked out until straight after Bonnie died and I can justify that as grief and also probably redirected guilt and anger that he hadn't completely got over Jac and was stringing Bonnie along for much of the time.

Joseph did very much throw himself into his relationship with Faye and much of the time appeared to be completely in love with her to the point of adoration whilst absolutely despising Jac - although as i say you could understand why.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jean Slater :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, yes Roberts and Marcel did do a very good job of playing subtext but to be fair, i think there was more subtext to be played with in the actual text than with Jonny during the Bonnie/Custody time. Frankly, i just think Seasons 9 - 12 were much better written than Season 16. As I commented at the time, there was no continuity from one week to the next as to whether Jonny was supposed to be purely rebounding with Bonnie, whether he really did love her and want to marry her - for instance the episode after proposing he clearly regretted it, and was asking Jac to voice her feelings so he'd have a reason to dump Bonnie; 2 weeks later he's telling Jac Bonnie is his future even after Jac asks him not to leave and seems as though she is the only love he has ever had when she is killed. Hard to play (or even understand) you character's motivations and feelings when given such contradictory material to play week after week. Perhaps Roberts who had experience of continuing drama just had more courage to play it as he thought Joseph really felt than Thomson did whose first television job it was and he has admitted he kept thinking he'd get the sack. Plus, we know from Ty Glazer who played Gemma that when she voiced doubts about Gemma gossiping (which was out of character) after the car crash which injured Malick and Chantelle that she was basically told to just shut up and play what was in the script. Note this was the same episode that Bonnie first appeared and Jonny started acting like douche (leaving the keys with no explanation) so Thomson might have had a similar reaction and also told to just play what was written and not worry about the logic of it.

We also know that Rosie Marcel was against the pregnancy and over ruled. So, basically it just sounds like the actors concerns weren't listened to in the way they were a few years earlier.

So, I'm prepared to give Thomson the benefit of the doubt re Jonny appearing to just hate Jac round that time, if the script gave him any leeway he did play underlying affection or at least regret it hadn't worked out until straight after Bonnie died and I can justify that as grief and also probably redirected guilt and anger that he hadn't completely got over Jac and was stringing Bonnie along for much of the time.

Joseph did very much throw himself into his relationship with Faye and much of the time appeared to be completely in love with her to the point of adoration whilst absolutely despising Jac - although as i say you could understand why.

I think the Bonnie ludicrousness aside that Jac's relationship with Joseph was very much her first love, her entire giving of her heart. No one who comes after is precisely the same.

The relationship with Jonny, if it had been written right, was the more mature, sedate relationship.

They really can't be compared IMO. Of course to buy all this you after ignore the general ludicrousness of Holby's storylines at times.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well...Probably the most focus Jesse has had in months so I'm glad he seems to be staying. There was some nice banter between him and Adele near the start ("Try not to look like a drug deal's going down") and the visual gag of him going down on one knee was well conceived. All that disappeared as the storyline became more serious, but seeing Adele vulnerable and Jesse having to act like a grown up potentially throws new light on the characters, to the point I didn't even mind Adele getting the info on the patient. Nice to see Derwood in a serious storyline too. Oliver still needed rescuing a couple of times but was less objectionable.

Not sure about Serena discussing her sex life with all and sundry and if that's the end of her and Angus I'm not sure what the point was. It seemed like he was trying to tell her something and she interrupted him.

Is it wrong for me to say that Fletch's daughter is acting him off the screen? Evie almost makes the interminable "Fletch has no money" storyline watchable. I liked the relationship between her and the teacher. But have they changed the admission age without telling me? How can Evie be in high school if she's only just turned 11? Wouldn't that make her Year 6?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adele was a lot more bearable tonight even though she was still being rather 'perfect' and stoic. She knows Jesse would be with her if he could be so doesn't blame him and not calling Mo for example. It was good to see Jesse finally getting some decent airtime.

This is a little thing but should Fletch really have given Natalie's engagement ring to Natalie when they had 3 other children, 2 of whom are also girls I believe. I get she is being very brave and he wants to recognise that but surely it would be better to wait until they are adults rather than play favourites now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele was a lot more bearable tonight even though she was still being rather 'perfect' and stoic. She knows Jesse would be with her if he could be so doesn't blame him and not calling Mo for example. It was good to see Jesse finally getting some decent airtime.

This is a little thing but should Fletch really have given Natalie's engagement ring to Natalie when they had 3 other children, 2 of whom are also girls I believe. I get she is being very brave and he wants to recognise that but surely it would be better to wait until they are adults rather than play favourites now.

Is she not the eldest? Fairly standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is she not the eldest? Fairly standard.

Is it standard? I'm the only girl. And both my children were only children so i don't have a lot of experience of it.

I personally think it is an odd thing to give to a child. Certainly my first piece of inherited jewellery (my Gradndmothers Engagement Ring) was given to me on my 16th birthday by my Grandad (with my Mother's blessing).

I do also think that her siblings might resent it later in life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it standard? I'm the only girl. And both my children were only children so i don't have a lot of experience of it.

I personally think it is an odd thing to give to a child. Certainly my first piece of inherited jewellery (my Gradndmothers Engagement Ring) was given to me on my 16th birthday by my Grandad (with my Mother's blessing).

I do also think that her siblings might resent it later in life.

Yeah pretty much. They will probably get something too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele was more bearable tonight and she and Jesse grew on me as a couple but they are not interesting enough to carry Darwin imo. Where is Elliot?? He should be there especially with both Jac and Mo gone and Ollie just settling back in.

Jesse seems to be a strange mixture of doctor/anesthetist; I don't think I have ever seen this happen before. Does it happen in the real world??

Fletch is an immature imbecile. All that singing and carrying on was completely OTT and cringeworthy.

As for Serena's big romance that never took off - what on earth was that all about?? And why is Essie so obsessed with Serena's love life?? It's very strange if you ask me.

The stripper was funny, initially I thought he was going to be a new love interest for Dom. I miss the 3 amigos!!
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Collins1965 that the Serena/Angus story was a bit strange, if that's all there is to it. It started so promisingly as well. Maybe there'll be more to it and Angus is going to be an enigmatic character to rival Hanssen (who wasn't in the episode nearly enough but was perfect when he did show up).

Episode review here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, i was going to comment ion Jesse's role. We had him advising Oliver on what to do in Theatre and reporting back to Elliot which as I commented last week, surely he is not trained in CT surgery to be qualified to do and now directly interacting with the Patient on her diagnosis. Do Gassers do that in real life? As Collins says, it certainly has never happened in the show before.
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clover wrote: »
    I agree with Collins1965 that the Serena/Angus story was a bit strange, if that's all there is to it. It started so promisingly as well. Maybe there'll be more to it and Angus is going to be an enigmatic character to rival Hanssen (who wasn't in the episode nearly enough but was perfect when he did show up).

Episode review here

The Serena/ Angus thing was all a little odd, Jamie Glover has been doing a theatre stint since beginning of May to 13th June, so we probably won't see of Angus for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i was going to comment ion Jesse's role. We had him advising Oliver on what to do in Theatre and reporting back to Elliot which as I commented last week, surely he is not trained in CT surgery to be qualified to do and now directly interacting with the Patient on her diagnosis. Do Gassers do that in real life? As Collins says, it certainly has never happened in the show before.

It was dramatic license. In fairness his main comment on Oliver was that he wouldn't take advice he was giving in surgery was he advice that anaesthetist give: about needing to do an open procedure. My mother, who used to be a surgery nurse, said that a good one is worth their weight in gold and some surgeons have their particular one they like to work with. He was overly interested in the lady this week... Oliver knew the tests to do. But he hasn't exactly been filling him with confidence she he was interfering. Jesse is perfectly qualified to do the doctoring bit but obviously isn't a hear specialist.
  • Options
    Little StarLittle Star Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of couples with chemistry. I did think Jac had good chemistry with both jonny and Joseph. Although I have to say I always had more belief in the Joseph relationship.

Going way back I thought Chrissie and Owen always had great chemistry even though I was not a massive Chrissie fan.

I thought Eddie and Luc had good chemistry as someone else mentioned.

Also thought that Harry and Mary Claire had great chemistry. The characters bounced off each other well and I actually enjoyed Harry's character when he was interacting with MC. Even before the romantic part at the end.

I really don't see anything at all with either Jesse and Adelle or Sasha and Essie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Eddie and Luc had good chemistry as someone else mentioned..

Was totally unsurprised when I heard they got married IRL. Although at the time he was married to someone else.

I just thought Guy may have looked to send Jesse away because of Zosia starting in Darwin... She must have 'gone on holiday for a few weeks.' Very Guy thing to do. Think he will finally give her some independence now? We will see.
  • Options
    FluffyBunnykinsFluffyBunnykins Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clover wrote: »

Episode review here

I predict .. With Angus first being attracted to Serena and then less so, he is confused by his sexuality. Dominic awaits :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was totally unsurprised when I heard they got married IRL. Although at the time he was married to someone else.

I just thought Guy may have looked to send Jesse away because of Zosia starting in Darwin... She must have 'gone on holiday for a few weeks.' Very Guy thing to do. Think he will finally give her some independence now? We will see.

Joseph Millson was single for some time when he got together with Sarah Jane Potts. He had previously been in a relationship with Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary off Downton Abbey) which did not work out. His first marriage was before that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joseph Millson was single for some time when he got together with Sarah Jane Potts. He had previously been in a relationship with Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary off Downton Abbey) which did not work out. His first marriage was before that.

But when they were filming he was still married. Knew about Lady Mary. Seems an unlikely match.

Oh and apparently
    Zosia is getting a boyfriend - a psychiatrist. Get her... Won't last.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still don't feel sorry for wheel clampers. Poor Fletch. Idiotic but I have sympathy.