Corbyn set to win Labour Leadership race

Comments

• MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    That is of course an opinion, as was mine.

That's just how GGP rolled in the 1980s. Still, he has ended up with loadsamoney so all well that ends well ;-)
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other 3 might as well not be there.
    Listened to the entire thing and again its coming back to this vibe they are giving out
    "make me leader, Not sure what I will do there but will work something out".
    The mere fact we have 3 people wanting to be labour leader and still terrified at talking Welfare meaning the very weakest and the truly Genuinely ill/disabled/vulnerable have no voice apart from the Greens and SNP etc is just unforgivable.

C5/C4 are making a killing on very cheap shows painting this picture of the welfare state being used to buy ****/sky/big TV's and online gambling add into the Mix all the right wing press. what they are basically saying they aren't strong enough to show people the other side.

As for Liz she really needs to realise its the Tory party is her true Calling with luck the next poll will have her even lower and she might just get the message if people want her "ideas" they have them already with Cameron and Co.

I haven't changed my opinion If Corbyn wins labour will be out of power for at least 15 years (at least) its just a shame the others cant see being leader means showing a boldness they simply don't have.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm a moron" - Margaret Beckett:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33625612
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Most observers realised that 15 years ago.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    The more I hear the press and coservatives deride Corbyn the more I like him.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, I don't think Corbyn wants to be leader. I think he was doing this to get his voice heard, I don't think he wants all the shit that comes with being leader of the Official Opposition.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Good. Let's hope he wins. A worthy successor to Miliband. Birds of feather.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    He was though, in 2004.

I meant when he stood against Boris Johnson.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The majority of press deride all Labour leaders, apart from the early years of Blair its been a constant barrage. So if it turns out to be Corbyn it will be like a daily firing squad.

Labour currently are the softest of targets though, all over the place.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like other FM's have said he has something to say and a 'direction' he wants to follow.

People may not like that direction, but then that is up for the people who get to vote on the Leadership Election to decide.

After the debacle of the polls during the GE I take no notice of what's coming out now, what happens, happens.

But I do think, if JC is elected, he may get people on all sides of the political spectrum thinking a bit; not because his policies are necessarily what people want, but because I think he will be a conviction politician/leader and not faff about thinking too hard about what the next days front pages will be, but continue on his course.

With this, I think parts of the GBP will give a metaphorical nod of the head and start to think "Don't agree with you, but at least your saying something for me to think about" and this may engage more people to actually schlep down to the ballot box.

Unfortunately/Fortunately this will probably involve people voting against him.

My point being, I feel, that if he is elected leader he will have a high personal opinion rating in the polls, possibly blowing DC out of the water, but well maybe still be considered unelectable by the GBP because of his policies.

But, maybe just maybe, our elected politicians will start to have a word with themselves and actually start saying something, and doing what I thought we elected them for - having a conviction on what's best for the people/country, sticking to it, and doing there damndess (sp) to see it through.

As an aside, JC first came to my notice in a post election interview on sky after the GE defeat, he was being interviewed alongside Ben Bradshaw.

JC had is opinion and put it forward calmly and succinctly (for a politician:p) and BB was spitting the dummy, getting mad and being quite rude. But JC just continued on his point/path.

As I said, nothing is decided, but, putting aside ones views on his policies, I think JC maybe good for politics.*

*But what do I know - I'm just a keyboard tapper:p:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes the new leadership process designed by Miliband is going down a storm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The majority of press deride all Labour leaders, apart from the early years of Blair its been a constant barrage. So if it turns out to be Corbyn it will be like a daily firing squad.

Labour currently are the softest of targets though, all over the place.

You have to admire how fast Corbyn came off the start line and started managing his campaign.

Cooper Burnham and Kendall have been left at the start line with egg on their faces.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Case for the prosecution proven, m'lud - and what a depressing opinion of human nature the defendant has.

Like it or not, we're animals and not a breed of wonderful angelic beings who are full of endless altruism and compassion. If we were we wouldn't have survived long as a species as we'd have been dominated by those more aggressive and been destroyed.

Yes, we have become civilised, but we're competitive by nature and like to achieve our goals.

I know it's difficult to accept, but attempting to deny our nature results in misery and self-destruction.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Yes the new leadership process designed by Miliband is going down a storm.

As opposed to a procedure which elects a third rate Television Executive to be a party leader and then the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom? :o
    Cameron: The man who had a plan to give ISIS the weapons to take control of Syria. (thankfully thwarted by Miliband. And Boris)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mary Creagh (sp?) showing why she wouldn't have been a good leader, on Newsnight at the moment.

Going on about how Corbyn shouldn't be allowed in the election because it would mean that the Labour party is being 'Narcissistic'. rolleyes

She is talking a load of media training rubbish.

Said she is a friend of his.

Well with friends like her, who needs enemies, as the saying goes.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If she had not intention of voting for him in the Election, why did she then declare her support for him the first place:confused:
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Apparently Corbyn has announced three key appointments to his shadow cabinet if he becomes leader.:D

https://mobile.twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/623959982917201921
  • gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corbyn will get my vote, I dont care if we never win a election again , I am tired of compromise and fudging, we are not selling soap powder here. .
    The people will get the government they deserve , you want Tory , then have it .
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Good. Let's hope he wins. A worthy successor to Miliband. Birds of feather.

Hey perhaps he will at least have to courage and integrity to be prepared to defend what he says if he makes accusations against someone who then politely requests an explanation?
    Posts, 967, 974, & 985,

Is there any chance whatsoever that I am going to get an explanation at all? thanks in advance.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best to keep knocking out a few pot dogs, bound to come into fashion again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gingerjack wrote: »
    Corbyn will get my vote, I dont care if we never win a election again , I am tired of compromise and fudging, we are not selling soap powder here. .
    The people will get the government they deserve , you want Tory , then have it .

My sentiments exactly, I'm sick and tired of Labour bending over backwards to appease the Tory philosophy while running scared of the Tory dominated media, terrified of giving an honest and straight answer, slick professionally coached career politicians honed and trained in the art of always saying the right thing always saying what they believe the people want hear,
    I despised everything Thatcher stood for but by God she had conviction and the courage to stand by what she believed (even though I believe she was totally wrong) and for that I certainly grudgingly respect her.

I want a leader of the opposition or of the country who has some fire in their belly who is prepared to look the media and the sneering Tories in the eye and say
    "you are wrong today, you were wrong yesterday, and you will be wrong tomorrow, and no amount of sneering or derision will ever change that, and if means that you are in government for a very long time, then so be it, because I will NEVER become you just to defeat you"

one thing is certain sooner or later they will run out of people to punish and to blame and to scapegoat and will have no choice but to start to hurt 'their own'
    We can wait, I say not one more inch away from what Labour is supposed to stand for. Our day WILL come.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The freedom to make pot dogs in a state funded "free room", it's a recipe for success in a globalised economy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that idiot talking to me?
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    The freedom to make pot dogs in a state funded "free room", it's a recipe for success in a globalised economy

That sounds like terrible policy. But it sounds much more attractive than current Tory Policy.
    For example:
    "I know. Let's take the number of children who are turning up at school every day starving and begging food from teachers. What could we do to make the total much bigger??"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    That sounds like terrible policy. But it sounds much more attractive than current Tory Policy.
    For example:
    "I know. Let's take the number of children who are turning up at school every day starving and begging food from teachers. What could we do to make the total much bigger??"

Well said,
    not forgetting the good old "we support those who work hard" bollox,

yeah "we support those who work hard" alright the Tory method of 'support' the repeatedly kicking them in the teeth type of "support" ;-)

I never noticed when they cut the funding for wind up merchant school either, but I guess they must have cut it to the bone because the standard is in the Toilet since April 2014. ;-)

Ps and to make it even funnier I don't make "pot dogs" and I don't work in my bedroom either, :D:D