Options

The Great Gatsby - another film adaptation?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a287607/carey-mulligan-in-talks-for-gatsby-role.html

Hmmm....not sure about this. The book is beautiful, it shouldn't be spoilt (again).

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Clayton movie was good, but not "the essence" of the book!

It started a trend - as I remember - for movies to look wonderful, but at the expense of plot and character. This was the movie - I think - where camerawork and design "took over" from telling a story ...........

It was memorable - visuals that stick in the mind - but for all the wrong reasons (though, not a "bad" film!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds alright to me, but then, I haven't seen any of the previous adaptations. Have read the book though.
  • Options
    Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    I think the Clayton movie was good, but not "the essence" of the book!

It started a trend - as I remember - for movies to look wonderful, but at the expense of plot and character. This was the movie - I think - where camerawork and design "took over" from telling a story ...........

It was memorable - visuals that stick in the mind - but for all the wrong reasons (though, not a "bad" film!).

That's an interesting point. I remember reading somewhere that Coppola was unhappy with the finished product because he didn't think they'd made the movie he'd written. I hope this re-make is much darker and does justice to a great novel.