Deep seated family issues

SoliloquyOSoundSoliloquyOSound Posts: 111
Forum Member
I need some advice on whether Christmas is a good time to get these out in the open. I know it should be a peaceful time but its the only time we all get together.

What do you think?

Comments

• alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't address any deep-seated family issues on Christmas Day. I would arrange to speak to individual family members regarding my concerns on a one-to-one basis in the New Year.
    It depends how much this is bothering you though and whether you will be able to get through Christmas without saying anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it depends what these deep seated issues are. Any clues?
  • HungryMunchkinHungryMunchkin Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I need some advice on whether Christmas is a good time to get these out in the open. I know it should be a peaceful time but its the only time we all get together.

What do you think?

Go for it, as long as you don't mind the rest of your family hating you for ruining everybody elses Christmas. If you decide to do this be aware that you will probably come off worse even if you are in the right about the issues because you'll be the one causing trouble and ruining everyone elses day.

You might want to bring it up but in all likelihood the other people there won't appreciate it so dont' expect them to thank you.
  • SoliloquyOSoundSoliloquyOSound Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I personally wouldn't address any deep-seated family issues on Christmas Day. I would arrange to speak to individual family members regarding my concerns on a one-to-one basis in the New Year.
    It depends how much this is bothering you though and whether you will be able to get through Christmas without saying anything.

I guess you are right. No point in going through life seething with resentment, eh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Christmas is a pretty bad time to start airing this sort of thing. Isn't everyone trying to make it as pleasant a time as possible despite any family 'stuff' that might be going on. To me it's the one time of the year where you put issues to one side.

I know that the reality isn't always like this but do you really want to be the one who sets it off?
    Forum Member
    Go for it, as long as you don't mind the rest of your family hating you for ruining everybody elses Christmas. If you decide to do this be aware that you will probably come off worse even if you are in the right about the issues because you'll be the one causing trouble and ruining everyone elses day.

You might want to bring it up but in all likelihood the other people there won't appreciate it so dont' expect them to thank you.

I think my sister wants to hear it though
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put whatever it is aside for Christmas Day. Arrange to see your sister after the day itself and express whatever these deep-seated issues are. But don't ruin Christmas Day, it will be remembered for years afterwards - and surely your family don't deserve to have the one day of the year when you are all together , ruined?
    Forum Member
    I guess you are right. No point in going through life seething with resentment, eh.

Oooh, go on. Tell us what it is then.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then the pair of you can sound off to each other to your heart's content.

You say it is the only time you are all together, but surely no one is forcing you to be there. It especially doesnt make sense to be there if you are "seething with resentment."

It's a bit late in the day now, but next Christmas make arrangements to do your own thing.

I would have suggested you find time to get together with your own family during 2011 so you are able to clear the air in a manner that won't be unnecessarily upsetting for anyone. But what's the point? I'm not buying the "only time we all get together" excuse, sorry; if the matter was that important to you all, you would make the time.
    Forum Member

On Xmas day though? Are you sure? If it was something that desperately terrible surely you wouldn't be spending Xmas day with whoevers done this terrible thing.

The fact that you are makes me think that you might be making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill and it's not something really ruining Christmas for.

Write a letter, with your sisters input if necessary and send it after Xmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hear what? Is it your sister you are upset with or is it something like her husband is playing away?
    Forum Member
    Put whatever it is aside for Christmas Day. Arrange to see your sister after the day itself and express whatever these deep-seated issues are. But don't ruin Christmas Day, it will be remembered for years afterwards - and surely your family don't deserve to have the one day of the year when you are all together , ruined?

What about the issue in question. That has been remembered for years after it happened, but its not bothered them one jot. D'you see what I'm saying?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the issue in question. That has been remembered for years after it happened, but its not bothered them one jot. D'you see what I'm saying?

No, can't see what you are saying. Sorry :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure people are keen to help but you are talking in riddles. A vague idea of the nature of the issue would help.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May I ask why you are even going to spend Christmas with people who you feel have ignored your feelings for years? You don't have to put yourself through that, especially as the outcome is unlikely to be a positive one.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Somethng happened years ago and everyone knows what it was no one was bothered by it. Why do you think they'd be bothered now, if you raised it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Somethng happened years ago and everyone knows what it was no one was bothered by it. Why do you think they'd be bothered now, if you raised it?

The saying 'Let Sleeping Dogs Lie' spring to mind.
    Why dig up the past, when nobody is bothered about it?
    Forum Member
    Right, I am not saying christmas day specifically. I am not going to choose a moment and then just dump it on everyone. I guess I am storing it as ammo. Yes, my bad. Cue self righteousness.

I am spending christmas with them because they are my family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, I am not saying christmas day specifically. I am not going to choose a moment and then just dump it on everyone. I guess I am storing it as ammo. Yes, my bad. Cue self righteousness.

I am spending christmas with them because they are my family.

What does that mean?
    Forum Member
    What does that mean?

I'm just alluding to general DS users who think they are better than the rest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a rather cynical view for someone with all of 25 posts to their name.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

So why ask DS users for advice if that's what you think of them? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    That's a rather cynical view for someone with all of 25 posts to their name.

ah yes, but i have lurked for eons
    Forum Member
    fizzycat wrote: »
    So why ask DS users for advice if that's what you think of them? :rolleyes:

just so they don't hit me with the self righteousness. I'm sure they'll find another wa\y now though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you want to dig up something, what is in the past, and nobody (except you) gives a hoot about?