Options

Best No.1 Singles 1952-2012 (According to The Guardian)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
THey've chosen the best song from each of the 60 years the chart has been running (apart from 2012 where they just wrote about the singles that was currently #1).These are their choices:
1952 Al Martino – Here in my Heart

1953 Jo Stafford – You belong to me

1954 Winifred Atwell – Let's Have Another Party

1955 Dickie Valentine – Finger Of Suspicion

1956 Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers – Why do Fools Fall in Love?

1957 The Crickets – That'll be the Day

1958 Lord Rockingham's XI – Hoots Mon

1959 Bobby Darin – Dream Lover

1960 The Shadows – Apache

1961 John Leyton – Johnny Remember Me

1962 Ray Charles – I Can't Stop Loving You

1963 The Beatles – From Me to You and I Want to Hold Your Hand

1964 The Supremes – Baby Love

1965 The Rolling Stones – Satisfaction

1966 Four Tops – Reach Out I'll Be There

1967 Procol Harum – Whiter Shade of Pale

1968 Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich – Legend of Xanadu

1969 Thunderclap Newman – Something in the Air

1970 Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Water

1971 T Rex – Get It On

1972 Lieutenant Pigeon – Mouldy Old Dough

1973 Gary Glitter – I Love You Love Me More

1974 George McCrae – Rock Your Baby

1975 David Bowie – Space Oddity

1976 Abba – Dancing Queen

1977 Donna Summer – I Feel Love

1978 Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta – You're the One That I Want

1979 Tubeway Army – Are Friends Electric?

1980 Blondie – Atomic

1981 The Specials – Ghost Town

1982 Kraftwerk – The Model

1983 Culture Club – Karma Chameleon

1984 Frankie Goes to Hollywood – Two Tribes

1985 Madonna – Into the Groove

1986 Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls

1987 Steve 'Silk' Hurley – Jack Your Body

1988 The Timelords – Doctorin' The Tardis

1989 Soul II Soul – Back to Life

1990 New Order – World In Motion

1991 Iron Maiden – Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter

1992 Right Said Fred – Deeply Dippy

1993 Take That – Pray

1994 Tony di Bart – The Real Thing

1995 Michael Jackson – Earth Song

1996 The Chemical Brothers (feat. Noel Gallagher) – Setting Sun

1997 Hanson – Mmmbop

1998 Cornershop – Brimful of Asha

1999 Cliff Richard – Millennium Prayer

2000 Oxide and Neutrino – Bound for da Reload

2001 Kylie Minogue – Can't get You Out Of My Head

2002 Sugababes – Freak Like Me

2003 R Kelly – Ignition

2004 3 of a Kind – Baby Cakes

2005 Gorillaz – Dare

2006 Lily Allen – Smile

2007 Rihanna – Umbrella

2008 Coldplay – Viva La Vida

2009 Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling

2010 Tinie Tempah – Pass Out

2011 Cher Lloyd – Swagger Jagger

2012 fun. – We Are Young

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jun/03/best-number-one-singles-full-list

There's also a cool little interactive thing they've made where you can read why they chose each single: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/interactive/2012/may/31/best-no-1-singles-interactive

Anyway, I'm sure many of you will violently disagree with many of the choices (2011 and 1973 especially...) so please feel free to get on with it.

Comments

• Options
    FutureGamesFutureGames Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Surely there were better number ones in 1992 to choose from?
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And 2011 must have been put in as a joke :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously there are quite a few selections to take issue with, but as always it's only one person's opinion for each selection, so it's hardly a definitive list.

I was going to question the KLF's piece of Discordian nonsense with Doctorin' the Tardis in 1988 but looking at the other No.1's they're all utterly shit, with the possible exception of Orinoco Flow.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Were I Gotta Feeling and Swagger Jagger put in as a joke? They are both absolutely dreadful songs!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you click on the explanations for why they chose each song it can make more sense. The Swagger Jagger one, for instance, is quite interesting and I can see their logic (I still think the song's awful though)

"Swagger Jagger makes this list because it was the only chart-topper in a dreary year that was actually surprising. Surprisingly terrible, you might argue, and on the first play I completely agreed: Cher Lloyd stomping around puffing herself up with the chorus of Oh My Darling Clementine stitched in by some terrible pop Frankenstein. But that's the charts for you: for every love at first play there's a huge WTF, and in this case shock turned to grudging respect for Lloyd's chutzpah, and then outright enjoyment at quite how many hooks and tricks the producers try to grab you with. In a way it's like pop's turned a 50-year circle: high-trousered impresarios masterminding cheap but sometimes thrilling rip-offs of American stars, only now it's the Black Eyed Peas and Far East Movement they pillage, not Elvis."
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    No Just no
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swagger Jagger? Baby Cakes? :confused:
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    2004? 2011?

Wow
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    If you click on the explanations for why they chose each song it can make more sense. The Swagger Jagger one, for instance, is quite interesting and I can see their logic (I still think the song's awful though)

"Swagger Jagger makes this list because it was the only chart-topper in a dreary year that was actually surprising. Surprisingly terrible, you might argue, and on the first play I completely agreed: Cher Lloyd stomping around puffing herself up with the chorus of Oh My Darling Clementine stitched in by some terrible pop Frankenstein. But that's the charts for you: for every love at first play there's a huge WTF, and in this case shock turned to grudging respect for Lloyd's chutzpah, and then outright enjoyment at quite how many hooks and tricks the producers try to grab you with. In a way it's like pop's turned a 50-year circle: high-trousered impresarios masterminding cheap but sometimes thrilling rip-offs of American stars, only now it's the Black Eyed Peas and Far East Movement they pillage, not Elvis."

That doesn't even justify it. The reviewer is basically saying that the piece of tuneless trash is essentially a cynical marketing exercise, a copy of a copy of a copy of an original idea, now copied so many times that it barely registers at all.

I suppose Adele would have been too obvious a choice.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''2011 Cher Lloyd – Swagger Jagger''
    Oh.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cher Lloyd- I think most would agree one of the worst songs ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swagger Jagger? you have got to be kidding :eek: . That song is absolutely awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I agree with the majority of these actually
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    2003 - Beautiful??
    2004 - Mad World, Toxic, Call On Me, Yeah! , Everytime, Burn - surely better tracks than babycakes?
  • Options
    ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Don't agree with:
    1992, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2011 and 2012. I mean, come on, Right Set Fred, Hanson, 3 Of A Kind and Cher Lloyd? And we're only halfway through 2012, so why have they already decided the best number one single of this year? 2001, 2002 and 2007 are spot on though.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »

that's bang on that...chutzpah is the word. Rock n roll was built on it and is nowhere without it:D
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2003 - Beautiful??
    2004 - Mad World, Toxic, Call On Me, Yeah! , Everytime, Burn - surely better tracks than babycakes?

Beautiful got to #2, Mad World was for 03, I probably would have chosen that for 03. For 04 I probably would have gone for Call On Me or Yeah! by Usher.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Interesting that Are 'Friends' Electric? and Freak Like Me both make the list.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1978's best single is a joke. Baker Street and Wuthering Heights came out that year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Beautiful got to #2, Mad World was for 03, I probably would have chosen that for 03. For 04 I probably would have gone for Call On Me or Yeah! by Usher.

No,it did go to Number 1 (assuming that you are talking about Christina's song).
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swagger Jagger? Um ok
    I can understand I gotta feeling. Whether you like it or not, it's become a party classic.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, SWAGGER JAGGER?! I actually dont mind it but come on! Its hardly the best number 1 of 2011!
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the reviewer picked the songs, not by their own merits, but because they represent their era well. Oxide & Neutrino in 2000 for example, probably not the most memorable of songs but that was when the garage/dance sound exploded in the UK.

'Baby Cakes' in 2004, awful song as I'm sure we'd all agree - but really, look at the other songs that reached No.1 that year - Eamon, Frankee? The short-lived Busted years was fizzling out into the the McFly takeover. Girls Aloud got to No.1 with a cover, Peter Andre's 'Mysterious Girl' got there and then there was the 'Cha Cha Slide'. Stand-out songs were probably only 'Dry Your Eyes' by The Streets, 'These Words' by Natasha Bedingfield and 'Toxic' by Britney. But they were few and far between in a year of crappy songs and don't represent the condition of the charts at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know what ones more contraversial Cher Lloyd or Gary Glitter is a number one on that chart!
  • Options
    Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh,the list is merely an opinion of ONE person,it's not as if it's a result of a poll of hundreds or thousands of music fans,which would be far more interesting.