Options

BBC Scotland Hogmany coverage - is it any good?

Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
Forum Member
I have no plans, as yet, to go out on New Year's Eve. I've just noticed that I can stream and watch BBC Scotland on my computer and was wondering if the BBC Scotland Hogmany coverage was worth watching? I haven't seen the schedule for BBC1 and 2 England but I imagine they will be showing The Graham Norton Show and Jools Holland, respectively.

I think the last time I saw anything on English TV vaguely Scottish on NYE was when I was a child in the 70s. The programme included the likes of tartan-clad Scots' luminaries Moira Anderson and Andy Stewart singing hearty folk tunes to the nation. There was also some Scottish dancing with swords and kilts a-flaying.

So, in short, is it worth plugging into the festivities 'north of the border'? Is the programme entertaining or just lots of crowd shots and inane banter? (Just like NYE often is when going out.) :D

Comments

• Options
    AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better than STV, but that's not saying much
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as bad as it used to be when Andy Stewart etc were on every year. Bit more of a mixture now (though I tend to avoid it). STV used to be even worse with everyone looking as if they came off the top of a box of shortbread.

Years ago, when Rikki Fulton did his show every year, they used to get most of the audience in Scotland but now then have Only An Excuse doing the same 'jokes' every year.

I can't imagine me having BBC1 Scotland on that night!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing, "The White Heather Club" and Andy Stewart again.
    But the dancing won't be the same now that 'elf n' safety have made them swop the swords for plastic cutlery.

Eh?
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am Scottish, live near Edinburgh and the last programmes I would ever watch are those Hogmanay ones from the BBC and STV. Dire with fake Bon-homie and back slapping.

Quite embarrassing really to think non Scots watch them and assume that we are all like that!
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Hogmanay, not Hogmany.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Scotland's schedule for Hogmanay is odd this year ... Only An Excuse is on at about 11.15pm followed by the countdown then about 12.50am a repeat of Chewin' The Fat is on .... surely it would have been easier to put Chewin The Fat on before OAE they done that last year unless its a tryout and see what the audience is.

See someone mentioned STV, they have hired Michelle McManus to "swing into 2014" (no kidding for title of programme :o ) and thats on from 11.30pm (I wonder if its pre-recorded or will it be LIVE?) but this Hogmanay, I think i'll be putting on music instead as this year seems to be a disappointment and normally I do tune into Hogmanay on BBC, so i'll probably catch up on BBC IPlayer instead

EDIT: Pity BBC Scotland can't repeat the Reverend I M Jolly, watched his last couple before Ricky Fulton passed .... the Reverend drunk before the bells was in stitches! I believe some are up on Youtube :D
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no plans, as yet, to go out on New Year's Eve. I've just noticed that I can stream and watch BBC Scotland on my computer and was wondering if the BBC Scotland Hogmany coverage was worth watching? I haven't seen the schedule for BBC1 and 2 England but I imagine they will be showing The Graham Norton Show and Jools Holland, respectively.

I think the last time I saw anything on English TV vaguely Scottish on NYE was when I was a child in the 70s. The programme included the likes of tartan-clad Scots' luminaries Moira Anderson and Andy Stewart singing hearty folk tunes to the nation. There was also some Scottish dancing with swords and kilts a-flaying.

So, in short, is it worth plugging into the festivities 'north of the border'? Is the programme entertaining or just lots of crowd shots and inane banter? (Just like NYE often is when going out.) :D

Last time I saw a bit of it there seemed to be a couple of clowns named Bain and Cunnigham doing crappy shanties with a backing group that resembled three pullovers and a cardigan, Jackie Burd was pissed and trying to hide her awful chicken neck and wearing a dress that would get a teenager a bad name.

If you like fiddle music played by folkies in desperate need of some loving the the BBC Glesga Hogmanay show is just for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    It's Hogmanay, not Hogmany.

Watch out folks the new year police are on da forum.:D
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what it's like now but used to enjoy watching Ricki Fulton as Reverend I.M. Jolly, Gregor Fisher, Chewin the Fat etc.
    Hogmanay TV not the same after Ricki passed away.
    Fortunately, some of this material is available on You Tube.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    There have been some real car-crash Hogmanay programmes over the years. STV gave up years ago and, IIRC, at one point started showing Grampian TV's output, which were straight ahead village-hall ceilidh type affairs - accordians and fiddles, assortment of singers and comedians, none of your post-modern ironic nonsense here. The last memorable STV show I remember was supposedly set at a party in the flat of actor James MacPherson (from Taggart); the action wandered from room to room taking in whatever musician or comedian had turned up to the party. It ended IIRC with Mark Mcmanus, Taggart himself, turning up to complain about the noise and joining in the festivities.

BBC had a belter some years ago which went out live and juddered from one badly set-up item to another - at one point comedian Chic Murray was standing complaining about the "utter shambles".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been some real car-crash Hogmanay programmes over the years. STV gave up years ago and, IIRC, at one point started showing Grampian TV's output, which were straight ahead village-hall ceilidh type affairs - accordians and fiddles, assortment of singers and comedians, none of your post-modern ironic nonsense here. The last memorable STV show I remember was supposedly set at a party in the flat of actor James MacPherson (from Taggart); the action wandered from room to room taking in whatever musician or comedian had turned up to the party. It ended IIRC with Mark Mcmanus, Taggart himself, turning up to complain about the noise and joining in the festivities.

BBC had a belter some years ago which went out live and juddered from one badly set-up item to another - at one point comedian Chic Murray was standing complaining about the "utter shambles".

Ah the chic Murray one was a belter pity it's not on youtube
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think that was the last one that sticks out for me too, remember a sketch where Ricki plays a traffic cop and pulls over a speeding motorist that turns out to be Taggart, a funny sketch.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember the BBC Scotland Hogmanay programme last year got record ratings.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    conceptas wrote: »
    Think that was the last one that sticks out for me too, remember a sketch where Ricki plays a traffic cop and pulls over a speeding motorist that turns out to be Taggart, a funny sketch.

That would have been 'Scotch and Wry', not the actual Hogmanay programme itself.

Supercop: "Name?"
    Taggart: "Taggart"
    Supercop: First Name?"
    Taggart "Chief Inspector"
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    In one word: nope

hosts from Reporting Scotland who are dire at their job, music that about 0.000001% of the country probably listens to on a regular basis and it's going to be worse this year considering what's happening next year, wouldn't be surprised if the supposingly impartial BBC Scotland will get Salmond to appear so he can brainwash the people who like the fiddles at NYE with all his ridiculous policies that basically amount to watching Braveheart about 50 times and thinking England is bad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would have been 'Scotch and Wry', not the actual Hogmanay programme itself.

Oh yes, of course, my brain cells are not like they used to be. :p
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Alba has by far the best TV on Hogmanay. It is perfect for anyone who is a fan of Scottish music. On the other hand, if you think the multi-award winning Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain are "a couple of clowns" then it's not the show for you!
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim_S wrote: »
    In one word: nope

hosts from Reporting Scotland who are dire at their job, music that about 0.000001% of the country probably listens to on a regular basis and it's going to be worse this year considering what's happening next year, wouldn't be surprised if the supposingly impartial BBC Scotland will get Salmond to appear so he can brainwash the people who like the fiddles at NYE with all his ridiculous policies that basically amount to watching Braveheart about 50 times and thinking England is bad

In a word: Balderdash
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    ..... EDIT: Pity BBC Scotland can't repeat the Reverend I M Jolly, watched his last couple before Ricky Fulton passed .... the Reverend drunk before the bells was in stitches! I believe some are up on Youtube :D

Pity that BBC Scotland don't repeat a whole Rikki Fulton programme each year.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

"Inspector? Like, on the buses?"

It's a tough gig to broadcast at the bells and trying to cater for everyone including those who like the traditional music to those who prefer something a bit more up to date.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the alternatives?

There's usually "Jowls" Holland's (he could do with losing some weight) "Hootenanny" or whatever, (recorded in July?) and the usual assortment of "string strummin' cacophonous cowboys."
    Or turn off the TV and watch a DVD or listen to the radio. If you stay in, or haven't got guests.
    We never go out New Year's Eve.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Rikki Fulton has had a number of mentions here: my uncle, Clem Ashby, was Rikki's straight-man. I don't know when their act ended, but Clem died in 1985, (and was previously on STV)
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tends to be a bit of a cringefest - although that's speaking as a Scot, I find it a bit too embarassingly 'och-aye' and shortbread-tin like.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I d love to see that Chic Murray show....what a brilliant comedian he was, so dry and ahead of his time. My late Mum and dad were great fans of his in the 60s. The Jools Holland Show is a bit of a bore now but probably a better alternative to "another chance to see" Die Hard or whatever zzzz.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    BBC Alba has by far the best TV on Hogmanay. It is perfect for anyone who is a fan of Scottish music. On the other hand, if you think the multi-award winning Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain are "a couple of clowns" then it's not the show for you!

The glorious Barbara Dickson will be there too. Singing live, as always.

She was always on Scotch and Wry too, singing two songs.