All Things Kathy Beale

ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,276
Forum Member
I Always find that when I look forward to something it never turns out to be as good as anticipated. But I cannot help myself from getting excited over the return of Kathy Beale.

its going to be hard to overlook the fact that Kathy doesn't look old enough to be Ian's mum, but I suppose while he was getting up early to fry bacon Kathy was sitting under the hot sun drinking wine and watching elephants and giraffes or something.

The fact she has returned from the dead is so far fetched, I mean realistically Kathy would not have left her children for so long. But the thing is, the Kathy who left won't be the same Kathy who returns. That will be hard for some fans to digest, after years of being away the character will have changed and developed. How many of us are exactly the same people we were fifteen years ago?

The thing is though, from a storyline perspective it does make sense for Kathy to turn up now. Sharon and Phil are married but struggle to trust each other. Bens a messed up lad who killed someone and is struggling with his sexuality. Ian's lost his daughter, his one son emigrated to the other side of the world while his other son is a cold blooded killer. Jane covered up his crimes and is now dragging the rest of the Beales with her. And here comes Kathy, who will no doubt be thrown into all these storylines. Poor woman has got her work cut out for her. :D

I hope we get some decent trailers, Biancas return trailer was fun but I am not sure something lighthearted will be fitting. Still they need to put all the stops out here, Kathy is a legend, despite Gillian's dodgy acting.

I'm one of the few people who is hoping that Gavin turns out to be Sharon's father, that's going to be one hell of a story if it comes out. Kathy as Sharon's stepmother is a geni idea in my view, considering their past history it will just intensify things even further.

If Kathy does end up in the cafe, I hope they replace Tina with Carmel. I can actually see Carmel and Kathy making a good duo, something the show needs.

Anyhow, whether Kathys return is dramatic or a flop, it's still the most interesting thing that's happened in Walford in years. I cannot wait :D

Comments

• sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Tayforth has always been a mediocre actress but I'm so excited for her return. Can't wait for her return.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I Always find that when I look forward to something it never turns out to be as good as anticipated. But I cannot help myself from getting excited over the return of Kathy Beale.

its going to be hard to overlook the fact that Kathy doesn't look old enough to be Ian's mum, but I suppose while he was getting up early to fry bacon Kathy was sitting under the hot sun drinking wine and watching elephants and giraffes or something.

The fact she has returned from the dead is so far fetched, I mean realistically Kathy would not have left her children for so long. But the thing is, the Kathy who left won't be the same Kathy who returns. That will be hard for some fans to digest, after years of being away the character will have changed and developed. How many of us are exactly the same people we were fifteen years ago?

The thing is though, from a storyline perspective it does make sense for Kathy to turn up now. Sharon and Phil are married but struggle to trust each other. Bens a messed up lad who killed someone and is struggling with his sexuality. Ian's lost his daughter, his one son emigrated to the other side of the world while his other son is a cold blooded killer. Jane covered up his crimes and is now dragging the rest of the Beales with her. And here comes Kathy, who will no doubt be thrown into all these storylines. Poor woman has got her work cut out for her. :D

I hope we get some decent trailers, Biancas return trailer was fun but I am not sure something lighthearted will be fitting. Still they need to put all the stops out here, Kathy is a legend, despite Gillian's dodgy acting.

I'm one of the few people who is hoping that Gavin turns out to be Sharon's father, that's going to be one hell of a story if it comes out. Kathy as Sharon's stepmother is a geni idea in my view, considering their past history it will just intensify things even further.

If Kathy does end up in the cafe, I hope they replace Tina with Carmel. I can actually see Carmel and Kathy making a good duo, something the show needs.

Anyhow, whether Kathys return is dramatic or a flop, it's still the most interesting thing that's happened in Walford in years. I cannot wait :D

Great Post from one of my favourite posters.

I hope Kathy's return is epic.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,276
    Forum Member
    Gillian Tayforth has always been a mediocre actress but I'm so excited for her return. Can't wait for her return.

At least she will be working with some top notch actors upon her return.

Kathy and Jane scenes are the ones I am looking forward to the most, I love Jane but cannot wait for Kathy to wipe the floor with her. :D
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy? Didn't she die years ago?
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait when Ian tells her about Lucy That is going to be great TV
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Great Post from one of my favourite posters.

I hope Kathy's return is epic.

Thanks Vassychops :D
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love Kathy so I can't wait.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy being Ian's mother isn't hard to accept, not for us long term viewer who watched in the 80s anyway. Kathy always looked fantastic for her age and far younger than she actually was. It was always established that Kathy had Ian at a young age and Gillian Taylforth and Adam Woodyatt are both very close in age to their characters so its no suspension of reality. I suppose the character of Kathy has just aged tremendously well, just like actress playing her has.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a Kathy return doubter, but I'll admit I'm really excited to see how this storyline plays out. Killing Kathy off was one of the biggest mistakes the writers ever made, and I'm now glad they've rectified it.

However, I won't be satisfied with the explanation for Kathy's death unless they explain EVERYTHING. Kathy is not the kind of person who would allow her children to think she was dead, so there must have been something pretty sinister going on in South Africa. They can't just fob us off with a 'witness protection' story.

Ian and Ben are going to be both devastated and elated to see their mother alive, and I can't wait for the scenes between them and Kathy. I'm sure Steve McFadden will pull off something spectacular too. It's going to be huge :)
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Kathy but wasn't especially involved in her storylines. I did think it was daft to kill her off though.And I like the idea of her coming back and upsetting the apple cart. So her resurrection has made her very interesting to me.

And I'm very interested to see who Gavin will be.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Kathy I can't wait to see her scenes with Ian and Ben but I am also really looking forward to Gavin his character sounds good.
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathy has better come up with a GOOD reason to explain why she faked her death. She abandoned Ben and Ian and that makes her a terrible mother. I'm sure she was protecting Ian and Ben but who would let their sons believe that their mum had been dead for 9 years???
    Forum Member
    Kathy being Ian's mother isn't hard to accept, not for us long term viewer who watched in the 80s anyway. Kathy always looked fantastic for her age and far younger than she actually was. It was always established that Kathy had Ian at a young age and Gillian Taylforth and Adam Woodyatt are both very close in age to their characters so its no suspension of reality. I suppose the character of Kathy has just aged tremendously well, just like actress playing her has.

Plus Gillian and Adam Re so,close and have good chemistry so it probably won't matter all that much. I reckon Ian will comment on how good she looks on her return.
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    I was a Kathy return doubter, but I'll admit I'm really excited to see how this storyline plays out. Killing Kathy off was one of the biggest mistakes the writers ever made, and I'm now glad they've rectified it.

However, I won't be satisfied with the explanation for Kathy's death unless they explain EVERYTHING. Kathy is not the kind of person who would allow her children to think she was dead, so there must have been something pretty sinister going on in South Africa. They can't just fob us off with a 'witness protection' story.

Ian and Ben are going to be both devastated and elated to see their mother alive, and I can't wait for the scenes between them and Kathy. I'm sure Steve McFadden will pull off something spectacular too. It's going to be huge :)

Gavin's had her locked up in the basement of his house in Notting Hill for all these years. :D

I really don't think they will go down the WP route.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gavin's had her locked up in the basement of his house in Notting Hill for all these years. :D

I really don't think they will go down the WP route.

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

Joking aside I I think that's actually what happened.
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I liked Kathy but wasn't especially involved in her storylines. I did think it was daft to kill her off though.And I like the idea of her coming back and upsetting the apple cart. So her resurrection has made her very interesting to me.

And I'm very interested to see who Gavin will be.

When I first read this I thought it said "I killed Kathy" I was about to say they couldn't possibly bring her back if you killed her :D:D
    Forum Member
    When I first read this I thought it said "I killed Kathy" I was about to say they couldn't possibly bring her back if you killed her :D:D

You forget Eastenders has turned into Sunset Beach.
  • francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon Ian will comment on how good she looks on her return.

And I reckon Kathy will comment on what a fat bastard he has become!
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Kathy's return is going to be unmissable TV.

She is a Square Icon and Ian choosing his son over his brother will come to light.

Also we have Sharon and Phil being married and also Gavin potentially being Sharon's father.

Amazing scenes coming up.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy returning will Blow up the Mitchell's and Beales . So much potential after the last few weeks. Must be unmissable.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,840
    Forum Member
    I think they are playing it well. If she had come back in Live Week, and stuck around, I think that as viewers, it would have been a bit too much of a stretch.

But I think that it's clever that whilst the characters (Ian and Ben) don't know that she is alive, we as viewers have had plenty of time to become accustomed to the fact that she is out there. I think it kind of softens the fact that a character is essentially being bought back from the dead.

Now is the perfect time to get Kathy back. We've got Phil coupled up with Sharon, Lucy is dead and Ben is in the frame, and Ian is covering a massive secret. They have built it up nicely and Kathy is a real time bomb waiting to explode!
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    I think they are playing it well. If she had come back in Live Week, and stuck around, I think that as viewers, it would have been a bit too much of a stretch.

But I think that it's clever that whilst the characters (Ian and Ben) don't know that she is alive, we as viewers have had plenty of time to become accustomed to the fact that she is out there. I think it kind of softens the fact that a character is essentially being bought back from the dead.

Now is the perfect time to get Kathy back. We've got Phil coupled up with Sharon, Lucy is dead and Ben is in the frame, and Ian is covering a massive secret. They have built it up nicely and Kathy is a real time bomb waiting to explode!

Definitely
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too much Bobby on the brain? :D
    Forum Member
    francis7 wrote: »
    And I reckon Kathy will comment on what a fat bastard he has become!

He's not that bad :confused: