Options

Are you sticking with the PS3?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
If like me you are probably going to stick with the PS3 for a long time (you can probably see my other thread about the PS4 for the reasons!) what reasons do you have that you are not really ready to jump over to PS4 just yet?

A game is probably what could do it, if you are a fan of a certain series and it is only released for PS4 then you are not going to care less about the drawbacks to the system, you just need it to play that particular game, but it really perplexes me that people seem ready to jump to PS4 without what you think would even be that compelling reason.

My reasons for sticking to PS3 without going too much into the drawbacks of the PS4 over the PS3 that I already covered in the other thread would be roughly this.

- There's loads to play on the PS3 anyway and it's not even over yet, there's still plenty of new games coming out, some of which are titles that are also available on the PS4 with the slight drawback that they are only at 720p resolution on the PS3 and other slight drawbacks. I also happen to have a life busy enough that I haven't even got round to playing all my PS3 games, let alone bothering about PS4.
Games such as Gran Turismo 6 have only just come out, Sony have another big project, there's now Minecraft and a HD version of Final Fantasy X coming soon as well.

- It's got Grand Theft Auto V, the biggest game of 2013 that sold in record breaking amounts and all of a sudden we are supposed to jump ship to a new console that can't even play it, and as you might expect the game looks stunning anyway and so far it's not even being offered on the PS4.

- I'm a big fan of the way you can play all your UK TV shows/catchup services/Youtube/Netflix etc off the one box and the PS4 doesn't even have half of it yet, and bans you from using your external hard drive for your downloaded/ripped TV/Movies, but I covered this point already.

- PS3's themselves and PS3 games are obviously cheaper than anything PS4 based at the moment, so why not wait not only for the PS4 console and its associated games to come down to more sane everyday prices, but also wait for something worth getting excited about to get released too. What could this be, a fourth Uncharted, a sequel to The Last Of Us, the next Metal Gear Solid perhaps, or something much more truly original and no this isn't Knack!

- There's not enough damn power sockets and HDMI jacks for another damn box under the telly when Sony could damn well have included the full PS3 experience within PS4! And if you bought a later edition PS3, the PS2 still needs to hang around too!

- Not interested in a single PS4 game available now.

- I'd rather not pay to play online.

- Backwards compatibility on the PS4 via conditional streaming services couldn't be described as backwards compatibility. The full range of PS3/PS2 and PS1 titles will almost certainly not be available via this method which will take no notice of whether you have any original discs for the games or not.

- Don't yet have a PS Vita so wouldn't benefit from the PS4 interchangeability here, it does rather rankle that they seem to have abandoned any plans to allow PS3 streaming to the Vita, which of course is now focused mainly on the PS4.

Comments

• Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    You're making quite a detailed fuss here in something you already said.

You're not interested in any ps4 games right now.

...of course you're not going to want the console then. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah there's no need to worry about it dude! I will eventually move to PS4, but it won't be for some years yet, maybe around 2016. Got plenty to be getting on with on PS3, like you, but will keep one eye on the PS4 developments. :)
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both set up at the moment, many of my purchases this year will be PS4 though such as Watch Dogs and The Division.

I also love the Vita remote play feature, been using it more and more.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I have both as I still use the PS3 for Blue Ray and Dvd, don't like using the DS4 for controlling films.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If like me you are probably going to stick with the PS3 for a long time (you can probably see my other thread about the PS4 for the reasons!) what reasons do you have that you are not really ready to jump over to PS4 just yet?

A game is probably what could do it, if you are a fan of a certain series and it is only released for PS4 then you are not going to care less about the drawbacks to the system, you just need it to play that particular game, but it really perplexes me that people seem ready to jump to PS4 without what you think would even be that compelling reason.

My reasons for sticking to PS3 without going too much into the drawbacks of the PS4 over the PS3 that I already covered in the other thread would be roughly this.

- There's loads to play on the PS3 anyway and it's not even over yet, there's still plenty of new games coming out, some of which are titles that are also available on the PS4 with the slight drawback that they are only at 720p resolution on the PS3 and other slight drawbacks. I also happen to have a life busy enough that I haven't even got round to playing all my PS3 games, let alone bothering about PS4.
    Games such as Gran Turismo 6 have only just come out, Sony have another big project, there's now Minecraft and a HD version of Final Fantasy X coming soon as well.

- It's got Grand Theft Auto V, the biggest game of 2013 that sold in record breaking amounts and all of a sudden we are supposed to jump ship to a new console that can't even play it, and as you might expect the game looks stunning anyway and so far it's not even being offered on the PS4.

- I'm a big fan of the way you can play all your UK TV shows/catchup services/Youtube/Netflix etc off the one box and the PS4 doesn't even have half of it yet, and bans you from using your external hard drive for your downloaded/ripped TV/Movies, but I covered this point already.

- PS3's themselves and PS3 games are obviously cheaper than anything PS4 based at the moment, so why not wait not only for the PS4 console and its associated games to come down to more sane everyday prices, but also wait for something worth getting excited about to get released too. What could this be, a fourth Uncharted, a sequel to The Last Of Us, the next Metal Gear Solid perhaps, or something much more truly original and no this isn't Knack!

- There's not enough damn power sockets and HDMI jacks for another damn box under the telly when Sony could damn well have included the full PS3 experience within PS4! And if you bought a later edition PS3, the PS2 still needs to hang around too!

- Backwards compatibility on the PS4 via conditional streaming services couldn't be described as backwards compatibility. The full range of PS3/PS2 and PS1 titles will almost certainly not be available via this method which will take no notice of whether you have any original discs for the games or not.

- Don't yet have a PS Vita so wouldn't benefit from the PS4 interchangeability here, it does rather rankle that they seem to have abandoned any plans to allow PS3 streaming to the Vita, which of course is now focused mainly on the PS4.

Yes you *dont want* a PS4!

Enough already!

Mine is used less than the PC this week and the PS3 is looking nice gathering dust but I'm not complaining about the £399 I spent on it???????

Jeez
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Yes you *dont want* a PS4!

Enough already!

Mine is used less than the PC this week and the PS3 is looking nice gathering dust but I'm not complaining about the £399 I spent on it???????

Jeez

He may not be complaining about the £ being spent on it but I bet his mrs is....eh mate ;) lol
  • Options
    RADIOHEEDRADIOHEED Posts: 104
    Forum Member

Moan Moan Moan... I've got a ps4 sat right next to my ps3. The ps3 is never on due to the ps4 being completely brilliant... Enjoy yer antique games mate.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Do you not have a cigar you can go and shove somewhere...
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    RADIOHEED wrote: »
    Moan Moan Moan... I've got a ps4 sat right next to my ps3. The ps3 is never on due to the ps4 being completely brilliant... Enjoy yer antique games mate.

These responses attempting to censor my argument really annoy me, it's a forum therefore I'll "moan" to my heart's content, I prefer to think of it as "commentary". Try responding instead with a more intellectual argument about why you think I'm wrong.

Antique games such as "Grand Theft Auto V", and "Gran Turismo 6" although I only have a copy and interest in the former, GTA.
    As I've already covered, the PS3 still has a lot coming out as well, more than I remember still remaining for the PS2 back in 2007.

Having said that, I need BC because Grand Theft Auto III remains the most fun to play on.

And why would you not want to read what you condescendingly call "moaning", do you only want to read posts that are sycophantic towards the PS4 and Sony? Even if so, what right do you think you have to dictate to me and any others that we shouldn't be allowed to post a dissenting opinion about the PS4? I'm pretty sure you won't have any answers for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But your'e complaining/moaning, call it what you will about Sony and the PS4 in general or is it because you know that Sony will abandon the PS3 sooner or later. Let me ask you this, do you feel like Sony are trying to force you to move onto PS4 ?. Is that your gripe ?. It's inevitable that more and more of the newer games will be PS4 exclusive. If you want to play them, get a PS4 but if not, go without but I see no point in complaining about the PS4 not being able to do this and not having that and so on. Give them time and see what's what 9 or 12 months from now, then decide if it's for you or not.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just a console in its launch period. All systems go through this.

I am sticking with the PS3 for awhile because of many of the things you list. I think you just need to realise getting a system at launch is not for you.

Personally I like a nice sizeable catalogue of games before I jump in (Or something really special to make that jump worthwhile). I have been burned in the past by buying into a system too early. This type of thing, especially the lack of games is a common problem all new systems face, anyone into gaming should know this by now, but it always shocks me how many complaints about lack of games appear when a new system arrives, Wii U, 3DS, Vita have all had these complaints levelled at them.

It just takes time for a system to develop. Look how bad the PS3 was in the early days and how far that has come during its lifespan. I am sure the PS4 will grow and improve overtime just like every other system has.

The lack of BC does annoy me but Sony were stuck with a problem after the PS3. Use the same type of architecture developers hated and had problems with, include old hardware in the system putting the price up (To the sort of price people complained all this generation about) or drop it. They probably made the right decision even though its not one I am happy with. I hope that going forwards this is something that has been thought about with PS4 so PS5 can have this feature back.

The lack of media server is probably the biggest issue at the moment for me though.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm alo sticking with ps3 for awhile i think it'll be about August/September when i get a ps4.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Im going with both. There is syill loads on the ps3 I want to play. Currently playing Final Fantasy online and this isn't getting ported to ps4 until April so I'll keep the ps3 up for that reason alone. But the ps4 is the future. I don't want to play games like Fifa on ps3 when I can play them on ps4. And theres loads of awesome games coming out in the coming months so over the next few months I'll use the ps3 less and less.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I would like to think most gamers who bought themselves a PS4 will continue to play on their PS3 for many years to come. The new console at this point in time compliments the older machines, not replace them. I fail to grasp this either/or mentality.

I'm not a PS gamer but my Xbox One sits alongside my 360 perfectly well and will do for a long time to come. I love both machines to pieces but it's only logical that a console with a library that's been built up over a period of 8 years will outshine a newer machine that's 6 weeks old.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to think most gamers who bought themselves a PS4 will continue to play on their PS3 for many years to come. The new console at this point in time compliments the older machines, not replace them. I fail to grasp this either/or mentality.

I'm not a PS gamer but my Xbox One sits alongside my 360 perfectly well and will do for a long time to come. I love both machines to pieces but it's only logical that a console with a library that's been built up over a period of 8 years will outshine a newer machine that's 6 weeks old.

Good post.

Spot on no need to change keep both.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This, sums it up perfectly

I've got them next to each other (PS3 and PS4 for me)

One day i'll play assassin's creed IV or FIFA 14 on my ps4, the next i'll go back to the PS3 and i'm currently playing Far Cry 3 and Ni No Kuni, i'm pretty close to getting New Vegas again which will equal a few hundred ours on PS3

There nothing wrong with playing on both, maybe that is the OPs problem if he had both next to each other, he can have the features and old games and the best of the new system
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most gamers enjoy the benefits of gaming on multiple consoles (not at the same time of course, unless your an octopus). I do this now and will continue to do so for as long as is possible. Even when I do get a PS4, I'll still game on my PS3/Xbox 360 and PC. It's all part of the fun and gives me the choice of exclusives or to chose which format a certain game is best on. win win :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For once i actually agree with you :p
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    For once i actually agree with you :p

Likewise.

Anyway, I'm starting to think this whole thread is a wind up.

If you take a look at the OP's Facebook page (link in his profile) you can see he has posted "PS4 is shit, I've been having fun saying on DS!".

Do not feed.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have games that I haven't played yet on my PS3. I just started playing GTA IV for the first time! At the moment, it's looking more likely that I'm going to skip this generation's consoles (PS4, XBOX 1, WII U) and stick with the PS3 and (more importantly) the PC. Hell, I still play my PS2 sometimes!

But than can change - especially when the prices start dropping. When there's a huge library of games for under $19, then I may rethink things. But that's a few years down the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likewise.

Anyway, I'm starting to think this whole thread is a wind up.

If you take a look at the OP's Facebook page (link in his profile) you can see he has posted "PS4 is shit, I've been having fun saying on DS!".

Do not feed.

He sounds like a complete twonk lol.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These responses attempting to censor my argument really annoy me, it's a forum therefore I'll "moan" to my heart's content, I prefer to think of it as "commentary". Try responding instead with a more intellectual argument about why you think I'm wrong.

Antique games such as "Grand Theft Auto V", and "Gran Turismo 6" although I only have a copy and interest in the former, GTA.
    As I've already covered, the PS3 still has a lot coming out as well, more than I remember still remaining for the PS2 back in 2007.

Having said that, I need BC because Grand Theft Auto III remains the most fun to play on.

And why would you not want to read what you condescendingly call "moaning", do you only want to read posts that are sycophantic towards the PS4 and Sony? Even if so, what right do you think you have to dictate to me and any others that we shouldn't be allowed to post a dissenting opinion about the PS4? I'm pretty sure you won't have any answers for that.

You are moaning though. That's a fact.

I can't say your wrong though because I don't know or care whether you want a ps4 out not.

All I know is that I love both my ps3 and ps4.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PS4 rarely gos on, I have my PS3 which I'm playing the Last of Us, and use PC for games I wanna play with next gen graphics but aren't available on next gen for obvious reasons.

I don't regret getting my PS4 because that bloody thing is going to explode in the next 24 months, the money is gone but I see it as an investment in my future entertainment. Owning it now allows me to enjoy any games that come along.
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS3 is on bottom shelf of my unit, will be my digital only console now, PS4 at the top with a Vita to play it remotely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how prepared developers are going to be to spend time and resources releasing new, efficient games for a console with 256mb ram when the ps4 is a massively growing market