Last Tango in Halifax Tue, Nov 20 · 21:00-22:00 · BBC One (HD)

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked that.
    Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi are great characters.
    The two daughters are basket cases. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really good!
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    I liked that.
    Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi are great characters.
    The two daughters are basket cases. :D

A great first meeting for them both!!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I really liked that, and it can only get better now that all the characters have been introduced.

Seemed a bit of a rush to have them getting married so soon, Lionel and Jean (As Time Goes By) waited a few series to get married and they actually had a relationship in the past. I suppose the writers thought they didn't have time to tell the story at a slower pace since second series are harder to come by nowadays.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I LOVED it! an excellent production beautifully acted by the three leads.

What a great and varied acting career Anne Reid has had since she left Coronation Street 50 years ago. I am sure that she doesn't envy Bill Roache, who may be more comfortably off, but has hardly stretched his modest acting talents since he joined Corrie in 1960.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice gentle drama to go to bed on.
    No nightmares tonight.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was wonderful. Great acting and a nice warm story for a cold night.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked that, and it can only get better now that all the characters have been introduced.

Seemed a bit of a rush to have them getting married so soon, Lionel and Jean (As Time Goes By) waited a few series to get married and they actually had a relationship in the past. I suppose the writers thought they didn't have time to tell the story at a slower pace since second series are harder to come by nowadays.
    Given that both the characters are in their late 70's - it's not surprising in the least that they woudn't see the need to go through all the "courtship" rituals.
    I doubt the story is about how they "fall in love" - it's about how they make the most of the time they have left.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 20 years old and really enjoyed it.

Its really nice to have a drama centred around the older generation and its a feel good programme thats perfect for winter and part of a christmas schedule.

The hour flew by!

I really liked Annie reid in life begins with caroline quintin so I knew she would do well. Where do I recognise the guy from though?
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It was decent enough - I really like the two leads, but I found the subplots a little too cliched for my liking. I did however enjoy the moment when the two daughters came face-to-face - I thought that was beautifully acted.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    What an enjoyable hour. Strong cast, potentially interesting and believable story-lines, appealing locations. A good, gentle drama in the making.:)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    I am 20 years old and really enjoyed it.

Its really nice to have a drama centred around the older generation and its a feel good programme thats perfect for winter and part of a christmas schedule.

The hour flew by!

I really liked Annie reid in life begins with caroline quintin so I knew she would do well. Where do I recognise the guy from though?

Derek Jacobi has been in loads. But as you've said you're 20, you may not have seen him in much. His recent big role was as Professor Yana (The Master) in an episode called Utopia in Doctor Who. He also was in Cadfael.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff. Someone mentioned the music but I was so engrossed I can't even recall hearing the music!:D

As someone else said, they obviously feel they have no time to waste because of their age (and his heart condition) so they've made a very quick decision.

I'm with Twinkle - the storyline reminds me of my very first boyfriend. It is said that you never forget your first love.;)

Looking forward to next week and there's plenty to go on - Headteacher Mum with her female colleage, Dad's fancy bit coming back, naughty Uncle PC, rowing daughters and that's all on top of the "lovers".
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Derek Jacobi was in I Claudius a good few years ago. That was a brilliant series. He is shortly to be in a sitcom with Ian McKellan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got totally lost in that, what a wonderful way to spend an hour on a dark, rainy autumn night.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Derek Jacobi has been in loads. But as you've said you're 20, you may not have seen him in much. His recent big role was as Professor Yana (The Master) in an episode called Utopia in Doctor Who. He also was in Cadfael.

He's probably received most acclaim for his stage career, lot of Shakespearean roles, a true thespian.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the guessing the heart condition lends itself to some teary moments?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Sir Derek Jacobi was in I Claudius a good few years ago. That was a brilliant series. He is shortly to be in a sitcom with Ian McKellan.

Yes, I read about that. It actually sounds like a nice sitcom and it's about two gay men privately living their lives together as a couple for 50 years in the same flat.

Am glad ITV are starting to get its act together as long as it doesn't resemble that "The Old Guys" on BBC1 which wasn't about a gay couple but would have been better if it was!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Sir Derek and Anne Reid acted everyone else off the screen. More them please, less of their irritating children.

Can't imagine the residents of Skipton being too happy with their town being switched to and fro with Hebden Bridge. I recognised Marsden as well. But I didn't recognise the town where they caught up finally with the car thief, they chased him by the canal in Skipton then they switched to another town with a old outdoor market. Anyone recognise this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I read about that. It actually sounds like a nice sitcom and it's about two gay men privately living their lives together as a couple for 50 years in the same flat.

Am glad ITV are starting to get its act together as long as it doesn't resemble that "The Old Guys" on BBC1 which wasn't about a gay couple but would have been better if it was!

Wizzy!!! :-)
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - also hugely known for his theatre work. I've seen him in various productions of Shakespeare:

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0001394/bio
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    ToffeeGuy wrote: »
    Sir Derek and Anne Reid acted everyone else off the screen. More them please, less of their irritating children.

Can't imagine the residents of Skipton being too happy with their town being switched to and fro with Hebden Bridge. I recognised Marsden as well. But I didn't recognise the town where they caught up finally with the car thief, they chased him by the canal in Skipton then they switched to another town with a old outdoor market. Anyone recognise this?

Craven
    http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/10051293.Skipton_is_the_star_of_new_TV_drama_Last_Tango_In_Halifax/
  • Mrs Cee JayMrs Cee Jay Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And not forgetting he's best known to the tinies as the narrator of 'In the Night Garden'
  • holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this.

And I was thinking Tuesday nights were going to be dull without The Paradise.
  • Kevin34Kevin34 Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this with praise in particular for Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid.

The scenes with the outdoor market were in Stockport market in Manchester.