Maisy - Intelligent people lack common sense and creativity, I'm glad I'm dumb

MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:confused:

Is that even a stereotype? I mean, from a certain angle, I can see the whole common sense thing, but creativity? Creativity is a form of intelligence. Where did this fool get this myth from?

If that's the narrow minded crap she believes, I'm glad she doesn't share more of her thoughts/opinions. :rolleyes:

Comments

• bullpitbullpit Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that statement makes me think she's a total idiot and has put me right off her
  • cool foolcool fool Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she is being pedantic. In as much as intelligence just connotes knowledge and leaves out the creative part of the brain?
  • MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cool fool wrote: »
    Perhaps she is being pedantic. In as much as intelligence just connotes knowledge and leaves out the creative part of the brain?

Does it really though? You need knowledge to be creative, otherwise what are you using to be creative with?
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was such a stupid comment from her. I don't think she's dumb either, I just think she is trying to look cool to Jay.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she had me falling off my chair how thick is she lol.
  • ThirdEyeThirdEye Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its what thick people say to make themselves feel good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really though? You need knowledge to be creative, otherwise what are you using to be creative with?

It was the different sides of the brain I was thinking about. Left being more creative and right being more logical thinking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cool fool wrote: »
    It was the different sides of the brain I was thinking about. Left being more creative and right being more logical thinking.

Actually left is logical and right is creative, but yeah, I get you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually left is logical and right is creative, but yeah, I get you.

Thanks doll. You see my brain is hissing!
  • Scout66Scout66 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    Dumb is the new cool. Look how much the media celebrates it.
  • StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not far off. I know tons of computer programmers who are maths prodigies, and they can't do any form of art (which is what I do).
  • Locke_JohnLocke_John Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the end of her comment not "I wish I was dumb", or did I mishear?
  • ultrosultros Posts: 8,504
    Forum Member
    Wasn't she just trying to make Jay feel better about him saying he was thick :confused: That's the way I saw it.
    And she didn't say SHE was dumb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    She's not far off. I know tons of computer programmers who are maths prodigies, and they can't do any form of art (which is what I do).

So? Who's to suggest computer programmers are the only smart? You are an artist, that job requires intelligence, surely? Yes you rely on moments of inspiration and imagination but that in itself is intelligence.

Why does she and people like you seem to carry this false impression intelligence is defined by the strength of a person's ability to work logic? I don't get it? :confused:

IQ tests are based around logic but that is only measuring a part of someone's intellect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only intelligent creative people with common sense should be posting on this thread. Just sayin
  • bullpitbullpit Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »

computer programming is a creative endeavour, there are many books dedicated to the art of it, as there are many dedicated to the relationship between maths and poetry, and interesting snippets like these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/feb/04/maths-poetry-pi-fibonacci

being able to express yourself through art isn't a single measure of creativity
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locke_John wrote: »
    Was the end of her comment not "I wish I was dumb", or did I mishear?

I added that bit in to basically fill in what she was implying at.

"Oh, I may not be the most sharpest tool in the box, but i certainly do have common sense and street smarts and that you can't buy"

Obviously a defensive comment she wanted to get aired in view of Harry and Aaron (two mainly perceived intellects) receiving more save me votes than the inarticulate and somewhat ditsy Tashie.
  • StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? Who's to suggest computer programmers are the only smart? You are an artist, that job requires intelligence, surely? Yes you rely on moments of inspiration and imagination but that in itself is intelligence.

Why does she and people like you seem to carry this false impression intelligence is defined by the strength of a person's ability to work logic? I don't get it? :confused:

IQ tests are based around logic but that is only measuring a part of someone's intellect.
    You're right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Only intelligent creative people with common sense should be posting on this thread. Just sayin

I'm neither intelligent or dumb .. I am pretty mediocre as far as intelligence goes :D .. her shallow remark just riled me
  • ZuttoZutto Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it's irrelevant anyway, even if you're going by the metric "people with high IQs are intelligent" there are still millions of people with very high IQs and great creative talent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zutto wrote: »
    it's irrelevant anyway, even if you're going by the metric "people with high IQs are intelligent" there are still millions of people with very high IQs and great creative talent.

Exactly, but then at the same time there are a fair share of logical nerds who just have a strong sense of logic and therefore score highly on these IQ tests.

Generally speaking though, high IQ test scores implies someone is good with left and right brain thinking, but not for all.
  • adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    It was such a stupid comment from her. I don't think she's dumb either, I just think she is trying to look cool to Jay.

I think what she was trying to say was that knowledgable people are not always intelligent or creative. Some people are good at mugging up facts and passing exams but wouldn't be much good at dealing with difficult situations or working out the best way to do things.
  • B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    I didn't think she was claiming to be 'dumb', either. :confused:

I thought she was saying that academic intelligence isn't the only type of intelligence, and that some people may fail all their exams in school, but have creative skill etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adwalton wrote: »
    I think what she was trying to say was that knowledgable people are not always intelligent or creative. Some people are good at mugging up facts and passing exams but wouldn't be much good at dealing with difficult situations or working out the best way to do things.

I think you are giving her too much credit on this one. She clearly said it is not worth being intelligent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    I didn't think she was claiming to be 'dumb', either. :confused:

I thought she was saying that academic intelligence isn't the only type of intelligence, and that some people may fail all their exams in school, but have creative skill etc.

There are exams in design and technology (which covers graphics, cooking etc) and art ... all part of national curriculum academics in every day schools. If a person is creative they will pass these subjects, or at-least some of them, surely?