cant get default password

Hi I have a netgear wireless router and tried to create a new password as default one was used before ..it didnt work as I didnt know the key and now I cannot get in to my netgear pages on Internet Explorer as my default username and password wont work ,,. It is connected to internet but from time to time have to go to the netgear pages to connect, I am unwilling to phone my ip provider as it costs a fortune and takes forever to get through Does anyone have any advice Please? [I an not very computer savvy ]

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps reset it to factory defaults, theres normally a little button you press in with a pin and whammo the routers back as if it just left the factory, there will be no isp settings and the wireless will require setting up again so use carefully
  • bluebottlebluebottle Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Perhaps reset it to factory defaults, theres normally a little button you press in with a pin and whammo the routers back as if it just left the factory, there will be no isp settings and the wireless will require setting up again so use carefully

Thank you might get son to try it tomorrow as I am too nervous Thanks again
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed my netgear to a friend when I moved to BT. I reset it to factory settings (via pen point in hole for 20 seconds) and told her to insert the CD and follow the instructions.

One problem she had was distinguishing between two things : the network ID and password, and the router username and password. She seemed to feel they were interchangeable.

I wonder whether you're confusing these two things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone This is a great forum someone always delivers
    the link looks quite easy to understand Thank you and I may be confusing the two [ son is coming round on Monday so will show him all your advice
    Thanks again x
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft question, but the user name and password aren't printed on a label on the bottom of the router are they? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Daft question, but the user name and password aren't printed on a label on the bottom of the router are they? :)

No I just have a mac number and serial number both with a bar code below
    no other numbers Thanks for taking the time to read and
    reply to this :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluebottle wrote: »
    No I just have a mac number and serial number both with a bar code below
    no other numbers Thanks for taking the time to read and
    reply to this :)
    Did you buy the router yourself or was it provided by your ISP?

If your ISP provided it and set it up with their specific settings then sometimes they change the default router log-on. And stick a label with the details on the bottom of the router in case you need them.

If you buy it yourself or the ISP don't even open the box before sending it on then chances are there won't be a label, the details will be in the manual instead.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Did you buy the router yourself or was it provided by your ISP?.............
    If you buy it yourself or the ISP don't even open the box before sending it on then chances are there won't be a label, the details will be in the manual instead.

If that's the case, the username is probably 'admin' and the password 'password'.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Username = admin
    Password = password
    ...... is the default on a lot of Netgear routers, so if it has been changed from that then reset it as Maxatoria says in post #2 but make sure you have the username and password details to log on to your ISP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If that's the case, the username is probably 'admin' and the password 'password'.
    I was sort of thinking the OP had tried these but re-reading the OP now I'm not so sure. I assumed the bit
    my default username and password wont work

meant bluebottle had tried the default router details and had failed. So maybe the ISP had changed them and provided them on a label attached to the router.

But I'm now wondering exactly what user name and password bluebottle entered as the wording "my default" could be interpreted as entering something else.