Options

Christmas Cocktails

Does anyone have any good recipes?

To be served before dinner so not too heavy or cream based.

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted this on another thread, but it's worth posting again, in my opinion.

I love a Poinsettia - large dash of triple sec or Cointreau in champagne flute, about a third of the glass cranberry juice, and then top up with champagne. It's nice and fruity, looks Christmassy, and you can vary the ratio of juice/champagne depending on how well the family member tolerates/needs alcohol.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kir Royale. A wee bit of blackcurrant licqueur in the bottom of a glass topped up with Cava etc. I wouldn't waste a decent champagne on it.
    Alan
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually yes, I should have said that mine doesn't need champagne either, fizzy wine is just as good, and much cheaper.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it has to be a Baumaniere Champagne Cocktail!

Take 1 overlarge chilled wine glass with a splayed lip if you have one. In it put one small sugar cube. Put 3 drops of Angostura bitters on the sugar, then add 20ml of Triple Sec, 20ml of good Cognac and 150ml of the best Champagne you can afford (if you only have sparkling wine don't bother!). Add 3-4 ice cubes and float a thin slice of orange on top. Using a long sundae spoon stir everything together. Serve with the spoon so you can press the juice from the orange as you drink!
    If that doesn't impress 'em, nothing will!:cool::)

*Recipe courtesy of one of my heroes, Simon Hopkinson.*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I posted this on another thread, but it's worth posting again, in my opinion.

I love a Poinsettia - large dash of triple sec or Cointreau in champagne flute, about a third of the glass cranberry juice, and then top up with champagne. It's nice and fruity, looks Christmassy, and you can vary the ratio of juice/champagne depending on how well the family member tolerates/needs alcohol.

This is a winner and dead easy to make up in a big jug. Let everyone get sloshed while you get on with the business of giving yourself 3rd degree burns sorting out the roasties :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im serving apricot bellinis and pink champers before a christmas party Im having- and Espresso Martinis after instead of pudding
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the style. Dispense with the food and load up with booze. Can I come to yours? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    That's the style. Dispense with the food and load up with booze. Can I come to yours? :D

Is that to me? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beccyl wrote: »
    Is that to me? ;)

Yes *hic* :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are very welcome to come... I feel drinks at a dinner party is just as if not more important then the food! I'm a bit of a Monica from Friends when it comes to party organising- I love the planning and want everyone merry...on the sherry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. I have winter Pimm's on the go at all times throughout December :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. I have winter Pimm's on the go at all times throughout December :D

Love your style ;)
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pomegranate margaritas.

3 spoonfuls of sugar (less or more to taste)
    2 1/2 cups pomegranate juice (see Note)
    1 cup añejo tequila
    3/4 cup fresh lime juice
    10 thin strips or slices of cucumber, for garnish
    I pomegranate for breaking up and placing the beads at the bottom of the glass.

Or for those who like a sweeter version. I always do both.

2 cups pomegranate juice-to fill 1 ice tray
    1/2 cup lime juice
    2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (I usually just buy a miniature of Cointreau)
    1/2 cup tequila

Pour pomegranate juice into ice cube tray. Freeze until solid, about 2 hours. Pop cubes from tray. In a blender combine lime juice, liqueur, and tequila. Turn blender to the highest speed and gradually drop in all but 2 juice cubes, whirling until slushy. Wet the top of serving glass and rim with salt. Place a pomegranate cube in the bottom of each glass. Pour margarita
    mixture in and enjoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    Pomegranate margaritas.

3 spoonfuls of sugar (less or more to taste)
    2 1/2 cups pomegranate juice (see Note)
    1 cup añejo tequila
    3/4 cup fresh lime juice
    10 thin strips or slices of cucumber, for garnish
    I pomegranate for breaking up and placing the beads at the bottom of the glass.

Or for those who like a sweeter version. I always do both.

2 cups pomegranate juice-to fill 1 ice tray
    1/2 cup lime juice
    2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (I usually just buy a miniature of Cointreau)
    1/2 cup tequila

Pour pomegranate juice into ice cube tray. Freeze until solid, about 2 hours. Pop cubes from tray. In a blender combine lime juice, liqueur, and tequila. Turn blender to the highest speed and gradually drop in all but 2 juice cubes, whirling until slushy. Wet the top of serving glass and rim with salt. Place a pomegranate cube in the bottom of each glass. Pour margarita
    mixture in and enjoy.
    Brilliant! Trying that tonight!! :D How many does this make btw?
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant! Trying that tonight!! :D How many does this make btw?

Depends how you like to drink! You could get six out the first and four out of the second.