The Ratings Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Good grief, a night to forget for Channel 4. I thought the Haiti doc might at least crack the 1m mark, was it a repeat? Beyond awful for Morgana.

Morgana - Channel 4's answer to Stephen K Amos.:rolleyes: She must have had more viewers when she was on the internet, surely?

I wonder if ITV1+1 is a good idea. Channel 4 seem to get little benefit from their +1 channel. In fact, it seems to be more of a handicap, reducing the viewers for their "regular" channel.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    BBC1

a few from yesterday http://www.attentional.com/attentional_blog/blogs/

12.30pm Just William 1.8m (15.5%)
    9pm Upstairs Downstairs 6.9m (26.5%)

Great for Upstairs Downstairs. I'm sure it'll timeshift fairly well too, so I'd be very surprised if we didn't get a full series commissioned now. They clearly put everything into making the revival a success and had a proper series in mind. It's done more than enough to prove itself and I think would benefit from a longer run and slower pace.

Not so good for Just William but then again, it's probably the worst of all the BBC's scheduling crimes this Christmas.
  • Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    The last series which people said wasn't as good as the first two had it's highest series average and was also far more consistent as the ratings for the first two series were rather variable, so people seem to just like it for what it is.
    Could that not be a scheduling issue? Also word of mouth has obviously boosted it. I'm sure it was still a modest hit when it started. The shorter running time helped and the show seemed funnier. It seems to be thin on ideas right now. The xmas special wasn't helped by half the regular cast being missing. I don't buy the Mel excuse for it being poor however. While one of my fave characters, I'm aware he wasn't in it when it started and it was still good then - arguably at its best. And if the script couldn't be rewritten to still give us a good episode they shouldn't have bothered.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »

Not so good for Just William but then again, it's probably the worst of all the BBC's scheduling crimes this Christmas.

The BBC HD controller had the right idea. All four episodes back to back on New Year's Eve from 6pm.

In all its incarnations Just William has had a teatime slot.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally Linz wrote: »
    And if the script couldn't be rewritten to still give us a good episode they shouldn't have bothered.

:eek: Its not Hollywood you are in now you know :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    The BBC HD controller had the right idea. All four episodes back to back on New Year's Eve from 6pm.

In all its incarnations Just William has had a teatime slot.

I remember LWT having it at 5.30pm on Sundays
  • JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Good grief, a night to forget for Channel 4. I thought the Haiti doc might at least crack the 1m mark, was it a repeat? Beyond awful for Morgana.

it makes you think about how people think hollyoaks should be axed, yet it rates higher than the shows later on substantially infact. If there to axe hollyoaks, they would need to think about axing the rest of channel 4 programmes, bar some of them. Hollyoaks should get back to its usual figures next week when people are back to work etc.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CH4 has fallen over in recent months, xmas has also been terrible for them.

Probably something to do with the awful programmes they constantly show on a loop...
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally Linz wrote: »
    I don't buy the Mel excuse for it being poor however.

Having to re-write an entire episode with a tight filming deadline seems a fair excuse to me.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A part from the films on Channel 4 I don't watch anything else on there.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CH4 has been badly run for a while, they just recently got in ex BBC1 controller Jay Hunt whose stock-in-trade is the sort of programming that has been slowly killing CH4.

Can CH4 go to the wall? Is it possible legally?
  • Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Having to re-write an entire episode with a tight filming deadline seems a fair excuse to me.
    Could have ensured the script contained a few laughs surely. Given how funny S1 and S2 were.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was interesting to see on my EPG yesterday that the synopsis started with "CBBC". It seems that because this is presumably the domain of the Children's TV department, it couldn't be scheduled at a time when people might actually be watching TV for internal BBC politics reasons, and has therefore been dumped in a lunchtime slot.

This could have aired at teatimes, starting at 4.30 on Christmas Day - there was even a 30 min slot for it which had to be filled by a repeat!
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a great rating given the ridiculous scheduling of it!
    It was interesting to see on my EPG yesterday that the synopsis started with "CBBC". It seems that because this is presumably the domain of the Children's TV department, it couldn't be scheduled at a time when people might actually be watching TV for internal BBC politics reasons, and has therefore been dumped in a lunchtime slot.

This could have aired at teatimes, starting at 4.30 on Christmas Day - there was even a 30 min slot for it which had to be filled by a repeat!
    Even the actors working on it have said they are mystified as to why it isn't going out at teatime. And if that's the reason why it has been scheduled were it has been then people in the BBC need to be slapped!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    The general consensus about UD is that it was inferior to Downton.

Why the comparison?

Surely they are two very different period dramas - one set in a big country house, all light and fluffy and colourful and sunny, a perfect companion piece to X Factor; the other set in a London street, darker in tone and filmed as such.

Of course Upstairs wasn't as colourful and sunny and fluffy as Downton - it wasn't meant to be... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the comparison?

Well the comparison was made by Jean Marsh and others (presumably with help from the BBC PR team) in order to stir up interest. There was her appearance on TOS where she stirred it up and her rather undignified attack on DA. So really shes just getting her comeuppance by being in DAs ratings shadow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the comparison was made by Jean Marsh and others (presumably with help from the BBC PR team) in order to stir up interest. There was her appearance on TOS where she stirred it up and her rather undignified attack on DA. So really shes just getting her comeuppance by being in DAs ratings shadow.

I may have missed The One Show appearance - I don't watch it as religiously as you seem to... :p

I wasn't aware of any "attacks" on Downton, unless you mean the bit where she said Upstairs wouldn't have the benefit of a 15m X Factor lead-in.

And that is hardly contentious, as there seems to be a consensus in the industry that Downton wouldn't have had 10m a week without its 15m TXF lead-in and promotion. That seems obvious really.
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Re Downton and Upstairs Downstairs, an article in the Telegraph over the bank holiday mentioned that it's looking likely they will be pitched against each other when they both return. Not at the same time (as that would be suicidal for both shows) but in the same season, most likely autumn.

Would UD work well just before Strictly on a saturday, with DA retaining its slot after the X Factor results on a sunday? Assuming ~8 further episodes each are commissioned. Both could start in October and end in mid November, just before IAACGMOOH's run. I know UD at teatime may not work well with Merlin, but I can't see when else it could be shown.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the comparison?

Surely they are two very different period dramas - one set in a big country house, all light and fluffy and colourful and sunny, a perfect companion piece to X Factor; the other set in a London street, darker in tone and filmed as such.

Of course Upstairs wasn't as colourful and sunny and fluffy as Downton - it wasn't meant to be... :rolleyes:

Yes the comparisons are inevitable. Alot of the tv magazines, when they talk about UD always seem to mention Downton as well. And yet they are, as you say, very different. Downton has been crafted in every way as a big audience grabber and has delivered. People who speak about it to me do so in glowing terms as though its a new friend. UD is much darker. I think the Beeb would love to have got UD off before DA. Lol we have probably got a new C/S-Eastenders relationship here.

The other problem for UD was appearing rushed with only three episodes. The Beeb have really got to commit to any new series and make it at least six episodes-preferrably eight like Downton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have missed The One Show appearance - I don't watch it as religiously as you seem to... :p

I wasn't aware of any "attacks" on Downton, unless you mean the bit where she said Upstairs wouldn't have the benefit of a 15m X Factor lead-in.

And that is hardly contentious, as there seems to be a consensus in the industry that Downton wouldn't have had 10m a week without its 15m TXF lead-in and promotion. That seems obvious really.
    Jean Marsh in The Guardian:

"I think we were all surprised. The new Upstairs Downstairs had been in the works for about three years. We were trying to sort out ... 40 years of rights, and then [ITV] also started Downton Abbey – in the Edwardian era, which Upstairs Downstairs did. So it might be a coincidence, and I might be the queen of Belgium."
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upstairs Downstairs is pish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

from the same DT article
    The two shows have already had a skirmish in the press, with Jean Marsh (from Upstairs Downstairs) making disparaging remarks about Downton Abbey that provoked a response from Hugh Bonneville (from Downton) on the social networking website Twitter.

The spat started with remarks made by Marsh in a BBC interview to promote Upstairs Downstairs - of which she is also the co-creator - in which she suggested that the idea for Downton Abbey had been lifted from her show.

“I think we were all surprised,” said Marsh. “The new Upstairs Downstairs had been in the works for about three years. We were trying to sort out … 40 years of rights and then it also started – Downton Abbey – in the Edwardian era, which Upstairs, Downstairs did. So it might be a coincidence and I might be the queen of Belgium.”

Bonneville then posted on his Twitter feed: “I thought Jean Marsh was bigger than that – running down Downton while bigging up Upstairs? Downton never downed Up when upping Down. The consensus seems to be that Ms Marsh needs a big huggle in the friendly chair. Last thing we need is a face-off at the Albert memorial.”
    I dont think ITV would fear UD scheduling really. If the BBC want to follow the old ITV scheduling (seems to be that BBC1 is now reliving the 1970's LWT every day) they would put it at 9pm on Saturdays. That might allow Casualty to rest up for a while (unlikely) or move somewhere else but again thats difficult as there is already Holby in weekdays and x2 of essentially the same show by a different name would be just taking the proverbial.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Morgana - Channel 4's answer to Stephen K Amos.:rolleyes: She must have had more viewers when she was on the internet, surely?

I wonder if ITV1+1 is a good idea. Channel 4 seem to get little benefit from their +1 channel. In fact, it seems to be more of a handicap, reducing the viewers for their "regular" channel.

I would just like to say that The Morgana Show and Stephen K Amos are shown in primetime and get 500,000 whereas The Goodies get late night repeats with no promotion and gets roughly the same figures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBCs press tactics remind me of Brucie and his photocopied ratings handouts when he had a strop over the X factor being more popular. :D Whats Brucie photocopying today eh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    Re Downton and Upstairs Downstairs, an article in the Telegraph over the bank holiday mentioned that it's looking likely they will be pitched against each other when they both return. Not at the same time (as that would be suicidal for both shows) but in the same season, most likely autumn.

Would UD work well just before Strictly on a saturday, with DA retaining its slot after the X Factor results on a sunday? Assuming ~8 further episodes each are commissioned. Both could start in October and end in mid November, just before IAACGMOOH's run. I know UD at teatime may not work well with Merlin, but I can't see when else it could be shown.

I can't see UD being shown on Saturday teatime, assuming SCD and XF keep the same slots in 2011. It's a 9pm on a Sunday thing.

Anyway, it be madness to show them in the same season imo. An unnecessary overdose of top class period drama. If ITV have got the autumn season (by virtue of getting in first), BBC should show UD in the winter. Maybe doing as they did this year and beginning at Christmas but continuing into the new season.
This discussion has been closed.