Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed both DA and UD equally as much as each other. It's great to have two drama's of this quality to watch. :)
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    The BBCs press tactics remind me of Brucie and his photocopied ratings handouts when he had a strop over the X factor being more popular. :D Whats Brucie photocopying today eh!
    :D

It's really funny actually. The BBC are obviously foaming at the mouth about this, which is pointless considering Upstairs Downton is doing pretty well for itself, despite being a highly inferior show to its ITV counterpart. Perhaps the fact ITV has created a runaway hit in a genre they usually own for themselves has made their hackles rise. ;)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    Re Downton and Upstairs Downstairs, an article in the Telegraph over the bank holiday mentioned that it's looking likely they will be pitched against each other when they both return. Not at the same time (as that would be suicidal for both shows) but in the same season, most likely autumn.

Would UD work well just before Strictly on a saturday, with DA retaining its slot after the X Factor results on a sunday? Assuming ~8 further episodes each are commissioned. Both could start in October and end in mid November, just before IAACGMOOH's run. I know UD at teatime may not work well with Merlin, but I can't see when else it could be shown.

UD has Sunday at 9.00 written all over it but obviously there are issues before Christmas. X Factor makes pre Christmas very difficult for the BBC, Saturday tea-time is no time for UD, its too grand for slots that people expect to find Total Wipeout. Personally I would have run it Sundays at 8.00 or 9.00 in the new year. Wednesdays at 9.00 as a dark horse.

The problem that BBC1 has is that ITV ploughs most of its attack into primetime and any plum slot has an ITV cherry looking back at it.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats Brucie photocopying today eh!

A ratings sheet confirming that SCD has just had its most popular series ever, outrated both Britain's Got Talent and I'm a Celeb in 2010, and beaten X Factor in the ratings on the one occasion in 2010 when they overlapped?
    Woodbeam wrote: »
    I can't see UD being shown on Saturday teatime, assuming SCD and XF keep the same slots in 2011. It's a 9pm on a Sunday thing.

Anyway, it be madness to show them in the same season imo. An unnecessary overdose of top class period drama. If ITV have got the autumn season (by virtue of getting in first), BBC should show UD in the winter. Maybe doing as they did this year and beginning at Christmas but continuing into the new season.

I would expect it to start on Boxing Day 2011 and then air on successive Sundays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A ratings sheet confirming that SCD has just had its most popular series ever, outrated both Britain's Got Talent and I'm a Celeb in 2010, and beaten X Factor in the ratings on the one occasion in 2010 when they overlapped?
    They finally subscribed to X Factor tactics - what a coup that bumbling oversized politician Widdywhatsits was for the show.

Maybe the show isn't so classy after all - but it worked! ;)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have this image of the 2 of you making out flyers to put on cars pointing out the "errors" in Broadcast and Media Guardian. :D

PS. Thats too many words by the way. You'll never get that under a car wiper :p
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Personally I would have run it Sundays at 8.00 or 9.00 in the new year.

The EPG for UD says "contains adult themes", so I assume 9pm at the earliest.
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    If the BBC want to follow the old ITV scheduling (seems to be that BBC1 is now reliving the 1970's LWT every day) they would put it at 9pm on Saturdays. That might allow Casualty to rest up for a while (unlikely) or move somewhere else but again thats difficult as there is already Holby in weekdays and x2 of essentially the same show by a different name would be just taking the proverbial.........

Saturday at 9pm will work in Jan/Feb as there'll be no XFactor or DOI clash.
    Woodbeam wrote: »
    I can't see UD being shown on Saturday teatime, assuming SCD and XF keep the same slots in 2011. It's a 9pm on a Sunday thing.

Anyway, it be madness to show them in the same season imo. An unnecessary overdose of top class period drama. If ITV have got the autumn season (by virtue of getting in first), BBC should show UD in the winter. Maybe doing as they did this year and beginning at Christmas but continuing into the new season.
    UD has Sunday at 9.00 written all over it but obviously there are issues before Christmas. X Factor makes pre Christmas very difficult for the BBC, Saturday tea-time is no time for UD, its too grand for slots that people expect to find Total Wipeout. Personally I would have run it Sundays at 8.00 or 9.00 in the new year.

It'll be tricky putting it up against DOI on a sunday. If they schedule to avoid DOI then they end up in Spring, and UD really is an autumn/winter series...

Who knows, the Beeb might just throw in the towel and cancel all plans for a proper series, which would be a crying shame as there's more than enough room for both shows in the schedules.
  • Options
    Frankie_boyFrankie_boy Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Wow some seriously bitter ITV fans in this thread! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yah just fanboiz passin' the time. Defs not lighthearted bantarrrrr, no.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Anyone got the Avatar ratings?
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Anyone got the Avatar ratings?
    What channel and time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Us regulars are used to it... ;)
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

:D especially considering they both accuse the BBC of being threatened by DA but both are beyond bitter and threatened themseves:D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »

It's really funny actually. The BBC are obviously foaming at the mouth about this, which is pointless considering Upstairs Downton is doing pretty well for itself, despite being a highly inferior show to its ITV counterpart. Perhaps the fact ITV has created a runaway hit in a genre they usually own for themselves has made their hackles rise. ;)

Ofcourse its not highly inferior. Are you suggesting the acting is inferior, the costumes, the period feel? UD is a superb piece of tv, as is Downton. The thing about Downton is that to add to all the gloss the writer has made it into a kind of soap(a kind of perspective here is that the highest ratings that DA acheived are around the level of Brideshead all those years ago-Brideshead was maybe a bit too "luvvy" for the ITV audience back then)UD was very much a drama. ITV bosses will be licking their lips reading comments like yours.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    What channel and time?

Sky Movies Premiere Christmas Eve/Day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturday at 9pm will work in Jan/Feb as there'll be no XFactor or DOI clash.

It'll be tricky putting it up against DOI on a sunday. If they schedule to avoid DOI then they end up in Spring, and UD really is an autumn/winter series...

Who knows, the Beeb might just throw in the towel and cancel all plans for a proper series, which would be a crying shame as there's more than enough room for both shows in the schedules.

DOI is always an issue but Larkrise and Antiques Roadshow have done very well against it, like I say before ITV has a number of warhorses in plum autumn/winter slots-but some of them are not beyond attack. I just dont see anything pre Christmas as the BBC can do little more than park things like AR against XF and with DA and ofcourse Doc Martin has got to go somewhere, its very very difficult to schedule for a stand out hit.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upstairs Downstairs did very well last night and I'm sure it'll be back, probably in Q1 2012. Do we have an more ratings from last night? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcourse its not highly inferior. Are you suggesting the acting is inferior, the costumes, the period feel? UD is a superb piece of tv, as is Downton. The thing about Downton is that to add to all the gloss the writer has made it into a kind of soap-UD was very much a drama. ITV bosses will consider be licking their lips reading comments like yours.

I think there is a body of people who genuinely think the BBC realised in the autumn that ITV had scored a hit with Downton, and immediately decided they needed "their own Downton" - and so in the space of about 6 weeks, they knocked out a copycat show Upstairs Downstairs in haste for airing this Christmas to ride on the Downton bandwagon, but it turned out to be a rush job, not much cop, and only got a calamitous 7-8m viewers to Downton's TXF-enhanced 10m.

:rolleyes:

As Jean Marsh has pointed out, it seems actually that ITV realised from the rights negotiations that the Beeb were planning an Upstairs Downstairs revival, so got in first with their new "sunnier, fluffier" period drama-soap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Upstairs Downstairs is pish.

It's really funny actually. The BBC are obviously foaming at the mouth about this, which is pointless considering Upstairs Downton is doing pretty well for itself, despite being a highly inferior show to its ITV counterpart.

Sorry I don't think I really value the judgement of someone who enjoyed 'Married, Single, Other':eek:
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Jean Marsh has pointed out, it seems actually that ITV realised from the rights negotiations that the Beeb were planning an Upstairs Downstairs revival, so got in first with their new "sunnier, fluffier" period drama-soap.
    ITV passed on UD so it went to the BBC. ITV wanted something new but luckily its LWT 1970's season in the beeb at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Sorry I don't think I really value the judgement of someone who enjoyed 'Married, Single, Other':eek:
    MSO had great potential, but the opening episode was weak. Successive episodes were pretty damn great. I'm not bothered if you value my judgment frankly. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think DOI would be a problem. It's not got the same following as XF and the celebs are usually below Z rating. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV passed on UD so it went to the BBC. ITV wanted something new but luckily its LWT 1970's season in the beeb at the moment.

Not the first time you posted lies George:rolleyes:;)
    Upstairs Downstairs has been a passion project for Heidi Thomas and BBC Head of Drama, Wales Piers Wenger for two years. Our formal talks with the rights holders began in November 2008 and the rights were finally secured in June predating the ITV announcement [about Downton Abbey] by two months. At no point have the rights holders contacted ITV with a proposal for this drama.”
    Mackie confirmed to The Stage she had discussed a revival with Mansfield, however it is understood that Mansfield only had an option for the film rights, but had not secured any rights for a TV version.
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/25973/bbc-rebuts-mackies-upstairs-downstairs
    Laura Mackie later apologised to the BBC.

I think she should also apologise for Bouquet of Barbed Wire.:D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Good grief, a night to forget for Channel 4. I thought the Haiti doc might at least crack the 1m mark, was it a repeat? Beyond awful for Morgana.
    I dont know, I think Hollyoaks did ok ;)
This discussion has been closed.