Options

Tickets

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    CubeGame wrote: »
    Does anyone know how ticket resale works with print at home tickets? Do they just automatically go on sale?

I'm assuming you don't have to print and post them off?

You can only resell if there is more than a week before your session – so its too late for example to resell tickets for the first day of the paras now via the offical route (i.e. Thursday 30 August). I have no idea why they cannot be flexible on this seven day deadline when they were selling tickets up to 12 hours before the session started during the Olympics but thems the rules!

And you only need to post things back if you have already collected your tickets from the box office or received them by post from the original ballot. If you have not collected tickets or have email tickets you just need to agree to the resale via your ticketing account. It took them between 2-3 weeks to refund me my Olympic resales - so be prepared to wait for the money.

The alternative if you are within the 7 day deadline is to sell them to friends/family/work colleagues – or alternatively put an ad on sites like gumtree or craiglist (ensuring of course you only sell them at face value!) where you will have no problems getting rid of them. That way you get the cash straight away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Thanks....I'll be keeping a look out then....I'm not sure what's going to happen to the Orbit after the Games, so I'd rather go now than wait a year and probably get charged more or something...
    AFAIK it's staying exactly where it is, and will be open once the Park reopens to the public post-London 2012
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    or alternatively put an ad on sites like gumtree or craiglis
    That's not allowed.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when does the park reopen to the public after the games??
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungle73 wrote: »
    That's not allowed.

That's not stopping all and sundry from doing it - and rightly so, providing that they're selling on at face value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not for a long time. Somehow I've got 2014 in my mind, but I don't know if that's correct. They have a lot of reconstruction work to do first.
    Jason C wrote: »
    That's not stopping all and sundry from doing it - and rightly so, providing that they're selling on at face value.
    The rule is designed to stop touts.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Exactly - I am not condoning it merely drawing people's attention to this as an option.

If you are within the 7 day official resale ticket far better someone else gets to visit the games/the Olympic park than the tickets go to waste - and if people sell at face value via those sites I really don't see what the problem is.

Its LOCOG's fault for introducing the 7 day window and for having an inflexible system!
  • Options
    Forum Member

The northern part of the park - Eton Manor/the velodrome etc may open late next summer (the 1 year anniversary of the opening ceremony being rumoured). However the Orbit, stadium and acquatics centre area may not reopen until mid 2014.

There is a lot of work to do e.g. knocking down several arena and building housing. Let alone finding a tenant for the Stadium.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The northern part of the park - Eton Manor/the velodrome etc may open late next summer (the 1 year anniversary of the opening ceremony being rumoured). However the Orbit, stadium and acquatics centre area may not reopen until mid 2014.

There is a lot of work to do e.g. knocking down several arena and building housing. Let alone finding a tenant for the Stadium.
    I thought they'd already decided West Ham were getting it? That's what Wikipedia says.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bungle73 wrote: »
    I thought they'd already decided West Ham were getting it? That's what Wikipedia says.

No - they are one of four potential bidders!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19291209
  • Options
    Forum Member

According to that article they did have a deal, but it fell through for some reason.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

Of which West Ham is the only realistic option. Anything else is a red herring, its going to be West Ham, its the only way that makes the slightest bit of sense

F1 track? Yeah fantastic, in a country with a number of top class tracks and Silverstone having recently signed a long term deal to host the British grand prix until recently into the next decade

Entertainment venue? Yeah right, when London has the O2, another large venue is a waste of time, you wont generate nearly enough revenue

Leyton Orient? Yeah, great idea, struggle to 5 figures for attendances in a stadium that will host 60 000. It has no benefit over West Ham.

West Ham is the only option, lets stop with this silly nonsense, give them the stadium and get on with it. The whole process is lunancy, West Ham have been the only option for years, and no amount of re run competitions will change the outcome
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    F1 track? Entertainment venue? Leyton Orient?

In fact the 4 bidders are West Ham, the F1 proposal, the University of East London with Essex Cricket Club, and "the University College of Football Business". Orient have since withdrawn from the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9348093/London-2012-Olympics-plan-to-hold-Formula-One-race-in-and-around-Olympic-Stadium-on-bid-shortlist.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17562300
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not keen on this housing idea. They wanted to knock down Walthamstow stadium in favour for housing and L&Q got what they wanted. I don't see no harm in keeping it open as a park.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I I don't see no harm in keeping it open as a park.

Well there'll be the park as well....

Housing is planned for:

Chobham Manor - where the basketball arena currently is
    East Wick - near the media centre (which is marked for commercial development)
    Sweetwater - where the horrible "world's biggest Macdonalds" is, the big souvenir shop and the nearby hospitality
    Marshgate Wharf - south of the stadium
    Pudding Mill - current warm up area

http://www.londonlegacy.co.uk/competition/
    has more, though bear in mind the shaded areas cover a wider area than the bits slated for housing....descriptions give more info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    In fact the 4 bidders are West Ham, the F1 proposal, the University of East London with Essex Cricket Club, and "the University College of Football Business". Orient have since withdrawn from the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9348093/London-2012-Olympics-plan-to-hold-Formula-One-race-in-and-around-Olympic-Stadium-on-bid-shortlist.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17562300
    All of which are equally ridiculous. Its a public scandal we are wasting money on this competition again. West Ham is the only viable option, it was the only option last year, and will be the only option in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of which are equally ridiculous. Its a public scandal we are wasting money on this competition again. West Ham is the only viable option, it was the only option last year, and will be the only option in the future.

Perhaps you have more information on the two university bids than the rest of us.... I thought they were bound by confidentiality agreements and very little was known about them - why are they ridiculous exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Perhaps you have more information on the two university bids than the rest of us.... I thought they were bound by confidentiality agreements and very little was known about them - why are they ridiculous exactly?
    Because the only practical way to get tens of thousands of people into a stadium in England on a weekly basis is to get a football team in. Simple.

The only thing that comes close to that revenue level is a Premiership rugby side, and one of the absolute top clubs at that, of which none have declared an interest. There is no university usage that will get the thousands of people needed every week to create the economic viability to manage a 60 000 stadium, which will require millions of pounds a year to operate.

In budget tight times, no government is going to go down some utopian, spend for the greater good, nicey nice idea. It will a solid, financially driven proposal. The only idea that will come close to that is a football club with solid attendance. West Ham get 30 000+ at an average gate. Its really simple.

If this was any other country, the deal would have been signed sealed and delivered and the tins of paint already ordered for West Ham to paint the stadium with, because of nonsensical dithering, we are in a pointless situation of spending millions more to run yet another competition whose outcome will be the same as last time. And if we hold it again, it will the same outcome again. The basic economics are really sodding obvious. And always have been. People have searched for new ideas time and again, and guess what, no one has come to the public with any better ideas.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was any other country, the deal would have been signed sealed and delivered and the tins of paint already ordered for West Ham to paint the stadium with
    Tell that to the last European country to host the Games!
    "There is more. In the working class district of Nikaia, north of the port of Piraeus, the weightlifting centre has almost never been used since the Games, at least for sports purposes. In the northern suburb of Galatsi, a giant 8,000-seat stadium also built in 2004 to host table tennis and rhythmic gymnastics stands empty.

"It's appalling," says Eleni Protonotariou in Galatsi's town hall. "The municipality for years has been trying to open it up for public use so local athletes at least can use it but our efforts have always been thwarted."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/09/athens-2004-olympics-athletes-home
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was any other country

Hate to break this to you, but as far as future planning for use of venues are concerned, London is in actually fact WAY ahead of any other olympic host city ever.

You do realise that until now practically no thought had gone in to what would happen to venues after their use at all until after the games, and that quite often the future use was little to none in many cases?

Unlike London, who identified long term use or long term plans for all new venues well in advance. The business with the stadium was a snag, caused largely by sour grapes of Tottenham, with out whom the sale to West Ham would have breezed through.

London has been praised to the hilt for it's forward planning, to the extent the IOC now require all future games to adopt a similar approach as part of it's bidding process.

To try and suggest London is somehow behind the ball game on this one is, quite honestly, laughable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member

It will change but here’s the announced timetable for the transition and reopening of the Olympic Park and a few other Olympic-related venues:

8 September 2012 – Lea Valley Whitewater Centre reopens
    10 September 2012 – Lee Navigation Towpath reopens
    Late September 2012 – Northern Retail Lifeline and Angel Road access to Stratford City reopens
    30 September 2012 – The Greenway (except at Stratford High Street) and the View Tube reopens (some reports say the beginning of December instead.)
    February 2013 – Canal Park opens
    Spring 2013 – Temple Mill Lane reopens
    27 July 2013 – North Park and Multi-Use Arena (aka Copper Box) reopens, London Lions move into the Copper Box, Waterden Road opens
    Summer 2013 – East Village (aka the Olympic Village)opens
    4 August 2013 – Ride London race starts from the Olympic Park
    September 2013 – East Marsh reopens
    December 2013 – Velo Park and Eton Manor reopens
    Early 2014 – White Post Lane reopens
    March 2014 – South Plaza, Aquatics Centre, Orbit, IBC/MPC reopens (although this brochure says 2013 for the Orbit and the South Plaza
    August 2014 – Stadium reopens
    Late 2014 – The Greenway (at Stratford High Street) reopens
    2014 – First houses in Chobham Manor (site of the Basketball Arena) finished
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zulu17 wrote: »
    It will change but here’s the announced timetable for the transition and reopening of the Olympic Park and a few other Olympic-related venues:

So once September 9th has gone by, all those lovely landscaped gardens, open areas and canal paths will sit there, hidden behind boards and barriers, to be unloved, unused and unvisited by the public for more than a year.

Marvellous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zulu17 wrote: »

really handy list thanks, where is it from?. Been visiting the park and its environs for the last 7 years, will be nice when it starts to get easier rather than harder!

So once September 9th has gone by, all those lovely landscaped gardens, open areas and canal paths will sit there, to be unloved, unused and unvisited by the public for more than a year.

Marvellous.

I share the sentiment. (though it will be 11 months, not over a year) Just looking at the plans and trying to see what has to change between now and then... it doesn't seem like a year's worth of work....Riverside Arena and Basketball Arena demolished, build some new houses and a few cafes, ship out all the Olympic infrastructure, most of which looked very temporary anyway.....

Still, I guess thats why we're not in charge of getting the park ready for public use!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So once September 9th has gone by, all those lovely landscaped gardens, open areas and canal paths will sit there, hidden behind boards and barriers, to be unloved, unused and unvisited by the public for more than a year.

Marvellous.

I think thats unfair, tbh. It's unrealistic to think they can magically get everything opened up a few months after the games. There is a heck of a lot of work to be done, it's a damn sight more complicated than some people seem to think, for sure..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think thats unfair, tbh. It's unrealistic to think they can magically get everything opened up a few months after the games. There is a heck of a lot of work to be done, it's a damn sight more complicated than some people seem to think, for sure..

I'm not suggesting that the work be completed quickly, but that it should either be temporarily held off or take place in phases to allow the public to come in and enjoy the park for a further limited period (or periods) after the Games have concluded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not suggesting that the work be completed quickly, but that it should either temporarily held off or take place in phases to allow the public to come in and enjoy the park for a further limited period or periods after the Games have concluded.

it's not feasible because they are on a tight schedule, certain things that are on lease, for example, have to be returned. The chap overseeing all this was on radio 5 the last day of the games and made it very clear it is not remotely an option to do what you suggest.
This discussion has been closed.