School closes in term time so teachers can go to the Vatican

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB According to a post ^^, the date was given to parents with the other training day dates last September. But you're right, if it had just come out of the blue, parents would have a case. In this case they don't as they were told 8 months ago.

Yep. All schools have 4 or 5 inset days a year and parents are normally told these dates well in advance. More often that not, they're at the start of end of the holidays anyway. Tbh, as long as I have notice of the day so I can make plans, I couldn't care less whether the teachers are off to the Vatican,devil worshipping, having pole dancing lessons or on a jolly up to Alton Towers.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Ah, ok then. I can't open the link to the story on my phone for some reason so couldn't read it all so this is what was confusing me.

If that's the case and the parents were informed last September that the school would be closed today then I don't really see an issue.

Although, as an aside, I thought all public schools were supposed to have the same holidays/training days governed by which council they are in? Are schools allowed to just choose dates for their own training days etc?

BIB - I believe so which I know can be a pain for those with kids at different schools
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the staff at this school without any spirituality to nurture are doing on the training day.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    4 days. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday Monday.

School shut one day.

:o:blush: I've been fooled by The Fail. Damn it! >:(
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    BIB - I believe so which I know can be a pain for those with kids at different schools
    Thanks, I wasn't sure of that. Every day's a school day! [Pun fully intended]
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Ah, ok then. I can't open the link to the story on my phone for some reason so couldn't read it all so this is what was confusing me.

If that's the case and the parents were informed last September that the school would be closed today then I don't really see an issue.

Although, as an aside, I thought all public schools were supposed to have the same holidays/training days governed by which council they are in? Are schools allowed to just choose dates for their own training days etc?

BIB yes, because it very much depends on the school and what they need. For example, many secondary schools take one at the end of the term before Easter so ghat they can moderate coursework for their GCSE and A level candidates.
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Yep. All schools have 4 or 5 inset days a year and parents are normally told these dates well in advance. More often that not, they're at the start of end of the holidays anyway. Tbh, as long as I have notice of the day so I can make plans, I couldn't care less whether the teachers are off to the Vatican,devil worshipping, having pole dancing lessons or on a jolly up to Alton Towers.

BIB. LOOOVE this!!! :D I teach in a Catholic secondary school. Maybe II could suggest all of the above to my headteacher!! :D
    Forum Member
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I wonder what the staff at this school without any spirituality to nurture are doing on the training day.

I might be wrong, but I believe all the staff are going.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    How come God can't see them where they are, surely He would understand that they have to work?
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I take it this is aimed at me since I mentioned their 10+ weeks holiday but I think you are being unfair - I'm certainly not "harping on" about anything; I only asked if there wasn't a date they could all agree on to go during their holidays since , IF it turns out that the school did close and had an unofficial 'staff training day' just to facilitate this pilgrimage then I think that's out of order.
    However, IF it is a genuine training day today and the kids were never meant to be back in school until after the bank holiday then, like you, I don't see a problem.
    It sounds like they /are/ giving up one of their holiday days for it.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Education should not be in the hands of these religious maniacs.

Very, very dangerous. We need a British Secular Party urgently to stop this nonsense.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's only one day off (the other 3 are the weekend + bank holiday)
    It's a training day, i.e. inset day (or as oldies call them - baker day)
    The school closure was well-communicated beforehand.
    The staff will actually be using their own holiday as part of the training days.

Forgive me here, but I'm struggling to see the problem here? Or is this a case of the Daily Mail distorting the facts to create a situation that doesn't actually exist??
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Education should not be in the hands of these religious maniacs.

Very, very dangerous. We need a British Secular Party urgently to stop this nonsense.

It does not have to be, parents choose to send their children to religious schools because they are generally great schools (Christian and catholic anyway).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be wrong, but I believe all the staff are going.

Yes, I'm guessing all of the staff at the school were vetted for their beliefs before getting the job, what with faith schools being one of the few publically funded institutions in this country still allowed to discriminate on the grounds of faith. So rather than pupils getting the best person for the job teaching their children, they get the best person of a particular faith teaching them, which is not always the same thing.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It does beg the question then, so if they can effectively obtain all the new training required in just 4 inset days, why the hell do they need 5. And so that leads on to what are other schools doing on the 5th day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    It does not have to be, parents choose to send their children to religious schools because they are generally great schools (Christian and catholic anyway).

But those schools are only "great" schools because historically they've been able to cherry pick the best pupils under the guise of religion, something state schools have not been able to do, and therefore end up with the less well achieving pupils, thus arent as "great". On a level playing field, without the faith schools ability to discriminate in this way, i think you'd find they wouldn't come out on top as they do now.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/discrimination-in-faith-schools.html
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many parents have very little choice. I know several.

Schools should not be run by religious organisations, period. If parents wish to indoctrinate their children they should do so at home and not at my expense.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am literally shaking with anger about this. Sky fairy, paedophile priests, indoctrination, load of old nonsense etc...
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I am literally shaking with anger about this. Sky fairy, paedophile priests, indoctrination, load of old nonsense etc...

I've already been physically sick at the thought.
    Forum Member
    But those schools are only "great" schools because historically they've been able to cherry pick the best pupils under the guise of religion, something state schools have not been able to do, and therefore end up with the less well achieving pupils, thus arent as "great". On a level playing field, without the faith schools ability to discriminate in this way, i think you'd find they wouldn't come out on top as they do now.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/discrimination-in-faith-schools.html

But schools are better when they pick good students, and parents know it, they don't want their kids going to a school with bad pupils.
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Many parents have very little choice. I know several.

Schools should not be run by religious organisations, period. If parents wish to indoctrinate their children they should do so at home and not at my expense.

But people that are religious also pay taxes you know, so its not at your expense.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But schools are better when they pick good students, and parents know it, they don't want their kids going to a school with bad pupils.

But why are only religious schools allowed to pick good students? I'm sure the local comprehensive would get better results if they were allowed to pick and choose which students they let in, but they're not, because that's the exclusive right of faith schools, and the local comprehensive gets stuck with all the ones they reject, including ironically for institutions claiming to be Christian in nature, a higher proportion of the pupils from the poorest families in the UK.

"Church of England and Roman Catholic schools have fewer children from poor backgrounds "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1536310/Faith-schools-pick-the-best-pupils.html

Wasn't it Jesus that apparently said it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get in to Heaven. I wonder what he'd make of the fact that it's easier for a child of a well off parent to get into a faith school than it is for a child of a poor family?
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what training they will be doing in Rome.
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    I wonder what training they will be doing in Rome.

Spiritual.
    Forum Member
    But why are only religious schools allowed to pick good students? I'm sure the local comprehensive would get better results if they were allowed to pick and choose which students they let in, but they're not, because that's the exclusive right of faith schools, and the local comprehensive gets stuck with all the ones they reject, including ironically for institutions claiming to be Christian in nature, a higher proportion of the pupils from the poorest families in the UK.

"Church of England and Roman Catholic schools have fewer children from poor backgrounds "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1536310/Faith-schools-pick-the-best-pupils.html

Wasn't it Jesus that apparently said it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get in to Heaven. I wonder what he'd make of the fact that it's easier for a child of a well off parent to get into a faith school than it is for a child of a poor family?

No it is not, many types of school choose students.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it is not, many types of school choose students.

State funded schools? Examples please?