Options

NHS savings...Who is getting the first hand benefits ?

Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Source
The Secretary of State for Health (Mr Andrew Lansley):We delivered £4.3 billion of cost improvement in the NHS in the last financial year. We are aiming to do more this year. We delivered £2.5 billion, according to the deputy chief executive of the NHS, in the first two quarters.
The Minister of State, Department of Health (Mr Simon Burns): Any and all money made by the NHS is returned straight into care, not to the Treasury.
Over the last financial year the NHS underspent by £1.7bn and the Treasury clawed back £1.4bn of that. Indeed, HSJ (paywalled) say that:

The spokesman also confirmed that the DH recorded a £1.9bn underspend in 2010-11 – but made no use in that year of the “budget exchange” scheme which allows government departments to carry over some unspent funds for use in future years. This means at least £2.9bn of DH funding has been clawed back by the Treasury in the past two years. This is despite the NHS facing a funding settlement for 2011-12 to 2014-15 that is likely to mean its “tightest four-year period in the last 50 years”, according to think tanks the Nuffield Trust and the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

So over two years almost £3bn of NHS money has been clawed back by the Treasury for deficit reduction.

So what's happening here ? More government lies ? NHS unable to manage its own success ? A little of column A and a bit of column B ? Either way I am sure Mr Lansley will be keen to get to the bottom of this, after all, he said one thing WILL happen...and it's not.

Comments

• Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Source

So what's happening here ? More government lies ? NHS unable to manage its own success ? A little of column A and a bit of column B ? Either way I am sure Mr Lansley will be keen to get to the bottom of this, after all, he said one thing WILL happen...and it's not.

I'm sure he would be keen to do so...unfortunately for everyone Jeremy Hunt is now Sec of State for Health :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he would be keen to do so...unfortunately for everyone Jeremy Hunt is now Sec of State for Health :D

Hehe....I knew that....honest., Well as long as someone does because it seems to me, reading that article, that savings are being made yet other areas need more cash. So, if this is true (pinch of salt etc) why are being told the NHS needs more cash cash etc to fix some parts when other parts are giving (having taken ?) back to the treasury.

Does that money go back to the treasury to be reallocated back to the NHS, in other words the saving are ring fenced, or is the NHS in its efficient parts being bled dry why the more inefficient parts being held up as evidence of its failings ?
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usual Tory lies. If the NHS underspent then that money should be made available to allow the prescription of drugs and other treatments currently not offered by the NHS on cost grounds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Its crazy that they are underspending money and not ploughing it in to help solve the debt problems at other trusts. Its almost as if they don't want it solving, or want the trust to shrink to such a state someone else has to come into the field to supply the excess demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pobice wrote: »
    Its crazy that they are underspending money and not ploughing it in to help solve the debt problems at other trusts. Its almost as if they don't want it solving, or want the trust to shrink to such a state someone else has to come into the field to supply the excess demand.

Maybe, and I would not put that past many in the Tory party. However, thinking on this, I did wonder if trust a did save money and trust b needed more how would they move that money around. Now trust a could not 'give' it to them for reasons of accounting, auditing etc so maybe they would have to first return that as a savings to central government to the reallocate. Assuming, of course, savings are ring fenced, which I am curious about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tory plan is really quite simple.

Step 1: Put the budgets in the hands of the GP's
    Step 2 Start to cut those budgets incrementally.
    Step 3 Allow GP's and others to start charging directly for provision of services. (get your credit card out just like the dentists).

In response people will have to start to take out private insurance policies to safeguard themselves.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that what's probably happening here is that the NHS is doing what other public bodies are doing, anticipating savings they need to make and downsizing a little ahead of the absolute need to do so. It's happening in local government. Services are being scaled back in the knowledge that next year the budget won't be there. So when staff leave they are not being replaced and new projects are not going ahead because they cannot be sustained in future years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Maybe, and I would not put that past many in the Tory party. However, thinking on this, I did wonder if trust a did save money and trust b needed more how would they move that money around. Now trust a could not 'give' it to them for reasons of accounting, auditing etc so maybe they would have to first return that as a savings to central government to the reallocate. Assuming, of course, savings are ring fenced, which I am curious about.

I believe it is money the Department of Health have held onto by not dealing it out (or by placing stringent restriction on what a trust can use it for). From the inside it looks very much like the way the department of health (and/or SHAs) is handling the NHS budget is hindering the trusts in debt rather than helping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Usual Tory lies. If the NHS underspent then that money should be made available to allow the prescription of drugs and other treatments currently not offered by the NHS on cost grounds.[/QUOTE
    Why don't you ask Gordon Brown why the NHS is in the shit,after all it was him who left the country penniless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pobice wrote: »
    I believe it is money the Department of Health have held onto by not dealing it out (or by placing stringent restriction on what a trust can use it for). From the inside it looks very much like the way the department of health (and/or SHAs) is handling the NHS budget is hindering the trusts in debt rather than helping.

So save cash and they're shafted, don't and they're screwed.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Usual Tory lies. If the NHS underspent then that money should be made available to allow the prescription of drugs and other treatments currently not offered by the NHS on cost grounds.[/QUOTE
    Why don't you ask Gordon Brown why the NHS is in the shit,after all it was him who left the country penniless

The country isn't penniless you'd have to be a total idiot to believe that!

Under Brown real terms spending on healthcare increased. Brown isn't in power, he didn't make a pledge to protect the NHS from cuts, nor did promise to force the NHS to make 20% efficiency savings and to re-invest that money in patient healthcare. Cameron did and he's been proven to have lied. End of discussion.:D