Options

What I Found Shocking in this Years Apprentice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ray_BurnRay_Burn Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Joseph trained as a plumber - that was his education - and now he has a successful plumbing business. I don't know how having a university education would help him in his plumbing business, even if he could have studied there. All that matters is that it is lucrative and he is good at it. Should uneducated people never have any opportunities to make a success of themselves in honest trade?

Vana was selling a concept that she couldn't prove would be successful. She can probably go into a number of high-flying professions as well as set up her app, so it's not as if her education has denied her opportunities just because she lost the Apprentice.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MinaH wrote: »
    What I found shocking in this years Apprentice was that someone who left school aged 15, with barely any education, was able to compete against and ultimately defeat university educated minds with degrees and MBAs.

It makes me wonder if maybe there are some problems with the British Education System. Yet, nowadays, there seems to be less and less opportunity for people without university degrees in the jobs market.
    Having a university education doesn't make you better at business. Look at Sam, very cultured but utterly useless at anything practical. Vana's most useful asset was her linguistic ability, the result of her trilingual childhood (English, Spanish and Greek). Anyway she wasn't educated in Britain so her lack of success is not a sign of a problem here.

The emphasis is switching away from going to get a degree to doing an apprenticeship and learning a trade. Neither route is better than the other. As for MBAs most are worthless. An MBA is only as good as the business school you got it from.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Having a university education doesn't make you better at business. Look at Sam, very cultured but utterly useless at anything practical. Vana's most useful asset was her linguistic ability, the result of her trilingual childhood (English, Spanish and Greek). Anyway she wasn't educated in Britain so her lack of success is not a sign of a problem here.

The emphasis is switching away from going to get a degree to doing an apprenticeship and learning a trade. Neither route is better than the other. As for MBAs most are worthless. An MBA is only as good as the business school you got it from.

BIB is absolutely true. Even in the financial industry where I work, we are now offering apprenticeships for those under 25 without a degree alongside the graduate programmes. And there really isn't a huge gulf in salaries either.
    Fair enough if someone genuinely wants to go to uni for themselves but there are plenty of ways of getting onto a good career path without a degree these days without being saddled with the debt
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if an unemployed person could go on the show, and actually get a way through the process
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    When did he say he'd make A levels easier? the desire to have at least 50% of people going to University is a good one.

He didn't say it, just went ahead and did it.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if an unemployed person could go on the show, and actually get a way through the process

There has been a candidate who was unemployed, can't remember who or where though.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I found most shocking on this year's Apprentice was the state of Dr Leah on 'you're hired'. A naturally incredibly attractive woman who in the course of around two years has bloated her face horribly with non-invasive facial enhancements. I think it's a shame.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member

Wasn't jenny from this year a student? so technically not "employed" by anyone
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    all the 1sts there was this series
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    When did he say he'd make A levels easier? the desire to have at least 50% of people going to University is a good one.

He said it about the same time he said 'I already agreed with my mate Bush that we're going to invade Iraq for its oil, so even though they pose no threat to us and it'll kill hundreds of thousands of them, and leave the country in a worse state than it was already in for decades, I've already got my job as Middle East Peace Envoy lined up so boo ya sucks' ;-)

I'm a graduate and many of the people I've known who are super successful (outside of the expected university routes such as finance, science and education) never went, they did college courses or went straight into business, and sheer ambition took them to the top. Devaluing a real university education by dumbing it down so you can charge people top whack and have them in debt to the usual banker mates-of-government for most of their 20s if not 30s is a huge social crime.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    He said it about the same time he said 'I already agreed with my mate Bush that we're going to invade Iraq for its oil, so even though they pose no threat to us and it'll kill hundreds of thousands of them, and leave the country in a worse state than it was already in for decades, I've already got my job as Middle East Peace Envoy lined up so boo ya sucks' ;-)

I'm a graduate and many of the people I've known who are super successful (outside of the expected university routes such as finance, science and education) never went, they did college courses or went straight into business, and sheer ambition took them to the top. Devaluing a real university education by dumbing it down so you can charge people top whack and have them in debt to the usual banker mates-of-government for most of their 20s if not 30s is a huge social crime.

How would he make A Levels easier though?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    MinaH wrote: »
    What I found shocking in this years Apprentice was that someone who left school aged 15, with barely any education, was able to compete against and ultimately defeat university educated minds with degrees and MBAs.

It makes me wonder if maybe there are some problems with the British Education System. Yet, nowadays, there seems to be less and less opportunity for people without university degrees in the jobs market.

He's a plumber - he just needs a grasp of some basic physics. and the ability to wield a large spanner.

Given Sugar avoids risk, has no knowledge of many fields , doesn't like people who start anything new to them , won't invest far from London, doesn't like shops, fitness clubs,or restaurants, doesn't want to invest much, does want a quick, big return, doesn't want to have to do much, and doesn't like people who have business degrees , or have passed interviews for large corporate firms - not many people can ever win.

But someone has to win - so a nationwide propsed plumbing concern - albeit with 5 plumbers working for it beats a computer application that requires vastly more money - and may never pay it back.

Sugar has a long record of not picking the most able people, or the ones who would make him most money, or need his help the most to make a good idea work.The most succesful Apprentices didn't win most years. And the new format has never had many good viable ideas he would even consider. Most top graduates are off to work for major, or breakthrough, companies, the media, banks or Governmen - or they have already made their business starts , or wouldn't wnat the risk of a TV show, or to work with him - and most would be too normal, or competent, to get selected.