• Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Luvvies In Love
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    The Colin Firth story is the best by a mile.

I do wish I could take a few of the stories out of this and watch a shorter version of the film.

I think there were more stories that were taken out or it would have been four hours long! There is one involving Frances De Le Tour which is shown on the dvd extras. It was cut out so Frances De Le tour does not appear in the film at all.
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Brilliantly directed and brilliantly edited.

I think there was a mistake in the editing with the nude couple. When he walks her home after the first day they meet, she tells him that 'All I want for Christmas is you', but that scene ties in much better if it were to happen after the school concert. I think they inserted it too early.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do enjoy the movie we watch it every Xmas . But one part spoils it for me when Colin Firth uses the word "spaz" . Not because I'm offended by it I just feel it was unneeded and it kinda spoils the feel of the film. I also feel the kriss Marshall story arc was a little silly.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, my favourite part is when Alan Rickman is buying that necklace and Rowan Atkinson is taking forever lol

Me too, its the only scene I watch on YouTube again and again.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Unnecessary nudity spoils this movie for me.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lesbian story between Anne Reid and Frances de la Tour that was cut is much better than BT advert chap and Martin Freeman's stories put together.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    My family watch this in the run-up to Christmas. Great film! :)
  • Options
    dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has Alan Rickman and Colin Firth :D need I say more!
    A lot of the cut stuff should have stayed though IMO
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Unnecessary nudity spoils this movie for me.

Who's nude?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    LOVE this film, have to watch it every christmas:D
    Colin Firth's story is my favourite followed by Hugh Grant's and Alan Rickmans
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love "Love Actually" makes me feel all christmasy.
  • Options
    gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Love the film but want Alan Rickman to be a goody and it bothers me that he's not so I don't watch it that often :0(
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Martine McCutcheon saying she always gets more work offers around Xmas time when this is shown a lot.

She was really lucky Richard Curtis saw her in EastEnders and liked her so much he wrote the part of Natalie just for her.
  • Options
    Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I like this film for what it is ..... always a good one to watch round Christmas.

Special mention for Emma Thompson who I think is heartbreaking in the crying in the bedroom scene. She really is a very gifted actress.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the unnecessary nudity, and I think the storyline of the sex scene actors is especially unnecessary, and I feel like that storyline was included because certain scenes would raise cheap laughs.

Nevertheless, it's not difficult to skip past that one storyline and for the most part I love the rest of the film! It is genuinely funny and touching and it is rare for me to find a romantic comedy I like and could watch over and over. And it gets me into the Christmas mood as well which is always a plus. :)
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Just realised its ten years old now. It was released in November 2003. I have seen it eleven times I think so far. Since 2004 I have watched it once every Christmas. I know it almost word for word yet i still plan to watch it again at some point in the run up to Christmas. Who would have thought it would become a modern Christmas classic.

I do agree with some other posts. The nudity is not that necessary and may have got a 12A rating if it wasnt for that. And the story with the bloke going to America to get a girl was very far fetched. I think it was assumed something would go wrong and then it worked exactly as he had predicted which was almost a let down. But probably less predictable as you didnt expect it to end like that!
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    That camp boy running through the airport makes my teeth itch. Its the only part of the film I have to skip