Options

Basic audio question

I have just replaced an aging 28" JVC widescreen CRT with a 32" Sharp LCD.

I have Sky, a DVD recorder and Telewest as the inputs to the TV on AV1, AV2 and AV3 respectively, and use the TV's Audio Out connection (red/white photo) to my hifi's Aux input.

With the old TV there were no red/white connections for the audio out, I used the headphone jack. That meant that I could hear everything through the hifi - the TV's own speakers were disabled.

The new TV's headphone socket only produces very quiet sound and I presume the red/white sockets are the "proper" way of doing it... but only Sky on AV1 sends sound through the hifi - the other inputs send sound to the TV's speakers.

Each of the Sky, DVD and Telewest boxes have their own audio outputs - am I supposed to be using them instead of the TV's? If so, what do people do to connect three audio streams to one hifi and how do they mute the two they're not listening to?

The Sharp LCD is a LC32P50E but I've gone through the menus, I don't see anything about the audio output.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I would have thought the TV audio out was what ever was on the screen.
    I have these on my Toshiba LCD but have yet to use them.

I suppose you could use an auto scart switch box and send all scart inputs to AV1.

What happens when you watch standard TV?
    What happens if you swap the sky and DVD scarts around? Is the sound still from AV1 only?

I see in the specs it says Audio Output Fixed. Perhaps there is a fault.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    mlythaby wrote:
    I suppose you could use an auto scart switch box and send all scart inputs to AV1.

What happens when you watch standard TV?
    We don't have standard TV - the aerial was in the loft when we moved in but we needed the space and were getting Sky connected the next day so we took it down.

I might try the scart switch box but I'd prefer not to, say we're recording something from Sky to DVD, we can still watch Telewest on the TV - if they were all on AV1 that might get complicated!

Personal gripe - why don't remote controls have AV1 AV2 and AV3 buttons on them?!

Edit - whoops you just added to your message as I was typing! I'll try changing the DVD/Sky round tonight. There is no number to contact Sharp in the manual or on the website that I can see - it's frustrating: I bought a £70 DECT phone system and a £1000 TV and the Panasonic phone had a very useful helpline printed on every page of the manual but Sharp don't want to talk to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just tried this on my Toshiba.
    The audio output sockets are tied to the AV2 socket.
    Luckily on mine I can switch the output between ATV, DTV and AV1
    still not good though. I am lookinbg to buy a surround amp for my setup so this wont be a problem. I'll leave mine set to DTV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could use an AV switcher and just use the Audio part of it.
    Something like
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32114&doy=15m11
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Thanks for trying mlythaby, I've tried changing things around and you're right - the hifi output seems limited to the AV1 channel.

I've unplugged my hifi and have taken it away from the TV, perhaps it was intimidating the TV's internal speakers because they now "sound better" than they did originally! We'll go without the external speakers for now and see if Santa brings anything like the gadgets you linked to from Maplin!
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I have my gear connected:

DVD player > VCR
    VCR > STB > TV

The phono audio out from the STB is connected to the hi-fi, and the sound from all devices (including the TV!) gets routed through it.

No need for SCART switchers. Works like a dream.