How much say do the producers have who gets through on this

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Looking at the battle rounds probably about 50% of those through are young attractive females.

I am guessing a lot of these will have to go as the live shows will have to include:

A few attractive males for votes

Older on a journey contestants

Bigger soul divas

I am sure there will be a few other boxes need ticked as well

Comments

• jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they will have some influence, but not as much as those on the XF.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I guess they will have some influence, but not as much as those on the XF.
    What makes you think that?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it have to be the producers who have biases like that? These coaches have been around a while. They know what makes good TV without being told. To win they need singers that appeal to the public audience, which is what the producers want too.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Why does it have to be the producers who have biases like that? These coaches have been around a while. They know what makes good TV without being told. To win they need singers that appeal to the public audience, which is what the producers want too.
    That's true, but still someone has to take an overview to ensure, for example, that the coaches, in isolation, are not choosing too many of the same type of act. They also have to consider things like whether there are too many white contestants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    That's true, but still someone has to take an overview to ensure, for example, that the coaches, in isolation, are not choosing too many of the same type of act. They also have to consider things like whether there are too many white contestants.

Which is called positive discrimination. Positive discrimination being you deliberate choose someone at a disadvantage (ie for race, sex, age, size whatever else) just to tick boxes it is just as bad out right discrimination and though technically is in the same area as discrimination it is overlooked because it makes an organisation appear to not discriminate. Having a largely white contestants isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can show you have selected them for the right reasons rather than box ticking. :cool:
    Forum Member
    Which is called positive discrimination. Positive discrimination being you deliberate choose someone at a disadvantage (ie for race, sex, age, size whatever else) just to tick boxes it is just as bad out right discrimination and though technically is in the same area as discrimination it is overlooked because it makes an organisation appear to not discriminate. Having a largely white contestants isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can show you have selected them for the right reasons rather than box ticking. :cool:
    I agree in principle with your last point, but how would they demonstrate that? Of course it's just my belief that they would want to avoid an all-white/all-black/all-male/all-female/all-rock/all-pop/all-R&B or whatever finals - I have no evidence of this - but it seems obvious to me that they would do this. Not even so much from a positive discrimination point of view as from the point of view of putting together a Saturday evening show with a bit of variety.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see an act which was obviously better get rejected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    I agree in principle with your last point, but how would they demonstrate that? Of course it's just my belief that they would want to avoid an all-white/all-black/all-male/all-female/all-rock/all-pop/all-R&B or whatever finals - I have no evidence of this - but it seems obvious to me that they would do this. Not even so much from a positive discrimination point of view as from the point of view of putting together a Saturday evening show with a bit of variety.

In all fairness it is largely subjective but loosely based on merit. Also I deliberately chose not to include genre because the battles are designed to help eliminate artists with the same or similar genres so in the lives there is that variety of genres which is really what your looking for and by the lives its out of the coaches and producers hands anyway so it shouldn't matter what age or race you are it should be based solely on the artists current and if necessary past performances.
  • DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Looking at the battle rounds probably about 50% of those through are young attractive females.

I am guessing a lot of these will have to go as the live shows will have to include:

A few attractive males for votes

Older on a journey contestants

Bigger soul divas

I am sure there will be a few other boxes need ticked as well

If that's the case then they sure lose interest after the final and leave all the singers hanging out to dry.
  • Stan_BStan_B Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I have yet to see an act which was obviously better get rejected.
    Some of the battles were very close and in a few personal choice won rather than actual performance.

I feel the pairings and the song choice will be where the producers can influence the outcome almost to the point where their choice should get through. Nothing is ever guaranteed though.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noticed a lot are getting through in the categories i described and the high young female quota is being thinned out
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big difference with the X-Factor is that you don't have someone from Universal Music (who will sign the winner) acting as a senior producer on the show and sitting on the judging panel. So no, there isn't as much producer interference as the X-Factor.
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    The big difference with the X-Factor is that you don't have someone from Universal Music (who will sign the winner) acting as a senior producer on the show and sitting on the judging panel. So no, there isn't as much producer interference as the X-Factor.
    No, not as much and it's not so blatant, but there will be some.