Applicants wanted for a one-way ticket to Mars

2»

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    If you're young and stupid enough, then by all means go for it. But I doubt the rockets will get off the ground in the next 30 years or so.

Makes it borderline whether I'll live to see it, then. Hope I do.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll do it, we visited the National space Centre last week so I'm pretty clued up :D
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm applying for it - sounds like my cup of tea :)
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oo its like that film, 'Another Earth'. I'd go given the chance.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    It's difficult to know whether to be excited or horrified. Part of me just forsees them dying a slow, painful death. I don't think current technology is advanced enough for something as ambitious as this. it feels a bit like trying to run before we can walk. And why mars anyway? I don't really see how it is any better a prospect for colonisation than the moon, which is so much closer. Did they forget about the moon? I do admit though, it would be a little more interesting than big brother :p
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'd go regardless of it's one way status. Knowing it's one way is actually a good idea.

Where's people spirit of adventure?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Really can't see this happening.

...especially since it'll cost billions and billions (in any currency) to get there. It'll also be not so much as a one way settlement ticket as a one way suicide ticket.

Although there are plenty of geological similarities, Mars is like the Antarctic dry valleys but with a thin, poisonous atmosphere to deal with as well. Life support systems would have to be highly reliable and function perfectly to allow humans to survive and minor mishaps could end up turning into fatalities.

The only way such a mission will succeed is if there's international cooperation between governments and if billions are spent during the mission development phase to ensure that the project is likely to be successful. Interestingly, the University of Washington has been working on a fusion rocket which could dramatically cut the journey time to Mars and back:

University of Washington researchers and scientists at a Redmond-based space-propulsion company are building components of a fusion-powered rocket aimed to clear many of the hurdles that block deep space travel, including long times in transit, exorbitant costs and health risks....Now, the team is working to bring it all together by using the technology to compress the plasma and create nuclear fusion. Slough hopes to have everything ready for a first test at the end of the summer.
    http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/04/04/rocket-powered-by-nuclear-fusion-could-send-humans-to-mars/
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we send Katie Price and Kerry Katona????
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would want to do this, sounds like hell to me

For the same reason people climbed mountains, went to sea went to the bottom of the sea...to stretch human endeavour, the realisation that colonising other planets may be required in the future...and because we can.

The one-way ticket doesn;t mean a wasted life...you just live your life out on another planet and there are plenty of people who would do that just like explorers of old...places we can get to in half a day by plane were remote places hundreds of years ago and for many one way trips and I am sure people were saying just what you are!
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I'd go, if I thought it might get off the ground before I start drawing my pension - just one problem...

"The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond. "

I'd rather eat my own feet, than appear on 'reality TV'
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dutch-based Mars One venture says it's winnowed down its list of applicants to 50 men and 50 women who will compete for the chance to take a one-way trip to Mars. Yes, that's the reward — not the punishment. The Mars One project plans to put on a reality-TV competition to select 24 prospective crew members for missions to Mars, starting as early as 2024. Winners would be expected to start up a permanent colony on the Red Planet.
    LINK
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no memory of this thread, or posting in it!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Applicants wanted for a one-way ticket to Mars

I'm only too happy to go so long as a Martian villa is ready for me to inhabit: http://mateengreenway.com/steampunk/MarsVilla.jpg

Seriously, it's like Antarctica with a very thin and toxic atmosphere - do you really want to go?