Norwegian "cultural conservative" gunman/bomber "inspired by EDL"

Comments

• -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He lives with it, it causes him a lot of heartache and I know full well that as he gets older it's going to hurt more.

But what do I do? What can I do? Can't change what I believe, he can't change what he believes.

On fasting and day to day things we compromise.

I don't get why there's this constant "lets try and catch her out" on here. As if all these questions, all these issues haven't been lived with by me and my husband for nearly thirty years.

Do you think you are being clever?:confused:

It's just bizarre that you have such strong feelings against a particular faith and yet chose to marry someone who belongs to that faith.

I'm sure your husband is a good man (otherwise you wouldn't be with him), but so are plenty of other Muslims out there.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time will tell if any intelligence services like the FBI or MI5, has any whispers about this man, but couldn't stop him killing anyone? Norweigans now will have to live with armed police on the streets now. This is the way of life for most countries now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Patrick 1 wrote: »
    I bet you wouldn't have any problem with a thread like this if the suspect was a Muslim,bloody hypocrite

You're comparing apples with oranges.

Nowhere in his forum writings does the suspect recite passages from the bible like a Muslim fanatic would.

In fact, I would say the fact that he happens to be a Christian is totally irrelevant.

He is very much political. He references statistics and observes the world around him today, as opposed to blindly following every word of a centuries old book.
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Time will tell if any intelligence services like the FBI or MI5, has any whispers about this man, but couldn't stop him killing anyone? Norweigans now will have to live with armed police on the streets now.

The police in Norway are already armed.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    It's just bizarre that you have such strong feelings against a particular faith and yet chose to marry someone who belongs to that faith.

I'm sure your husband is a good man (otherwise you wouldn't be with him), but so are plenty of other Muslims out there.

Not so bizarre.

My great, great grandfather was jewish, my great great grandmother was catholic. From Monday to Saturday they lived as jews, on Sunday she took the children to church and confession.
    The lived together for 40+ years and died within two weeks of each other.

And it's the faith that bothers me not the people. And the faith bothers me because of what I see it doing to the people. It's the fear, it's the restrictions on what I call the "human spirit".

When you see somebody berating and slapping a thirteen year old girl just for dancing a bit (nothing lewd, just a bit of jiggling about)to some muscians at a wedding and you know that the person doing the slapping is a good person (not my husband I hasten to add), that sums up what my issue is.

My husband is kind, literally kind, he has a streak of kindness running through him a mile wide and I don't know anybody in his whole life who has ever disliked him.

But it's in conflict with what he has been taught not because of it. Hence my sons not being circumsised because he couldn't let that happen to his two beautiful babies. We didn't even really have a row about it, though I think he was slightly aware that it would have only been done over my dead body.
  • PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    There is a link to far right extremism though, which historically has been associated with violence (unlike CBeebies and the Teletubbies!). This man belonged to a Swedish Nazi forum which encourages attacks on government buildings (i.e. a form of violence) and he posted extreme right wing views on social networking sites he used. To imply his political beliefs and his actions weren't linked is naive.

Far right extremism is no more or less inherently violent than far-left extremism, or Islamic extremism, of Christian extremism.

The big clue here as to the ideological cause of his violent acts is NOT "far right"; its "extremism".

He could have been an animal welfare extremist, or an environmental extremist.

The worrying part here is that people seem to have overlooked the "extremist" aspect of it and concentrated on the "far right" part of it as if only far-right ideology is capable of inciting such acts.

When that is clearly not the case.

The far-right / EDL angle is inconsequential when compared to the "extremist" angle; but people on the left are far too interested in turning this in to a party-political debate for their own ideological gain.

Frankly, that's as nauseating and repugnant as the kind of tweet "2+2=5" mentioned in the original thread on this subject yesterday.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nicely said SS, perhaps some posters in the mistaken belief it was any of their business, thought you were married to some sort of tub-thumping mullah.
    Hopefully your explanation will help them achieve 'closure' in the matter.
  • nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    was this not a summer camp for people with left wing views that he attacked?

he was a right wing extremist and his actions were informed by his politics.

timothy mcveigh and jared loughner (Tucson) were right wing. jared loughner read marx, but that's the same as I occasionally watch fox news. It doesn't mean I am a fan.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    Far right extremism is no more or less inherently violent than far-left extremism, or Islamic extremism, of Christian extremism.

The big clue here as to the ideological cause of his violent acts is NOT "far right"; its "extremism".

He could have been an animal welfare extremist, or an environmental extremist.

The worrying part here is that people seem to have overlooked the "extremist" aspect of it and concentrated on the "far right" part of it as if only far-right ideology is capable of inciting such acts.

When that is clearly not the case.

The far-right / EDL angle is inconsequential when compared to the "extremist" angle; but people on the left are far too interested in turning this in to a party-political debate for their own ideological gain.

Frankly, that's as nauseating and repugnant as the kind of tweet "2+2=5" mentioned in the original thread on this subject yesterday.

Reds under the bed again, Speak?

The sooner we ditch this divisive and inaccurate left/right dichotomy the better, to be honest. Are we really STILL drawing ideological lines in the sand based entirely on the seating preferences of a bunch of long-dead Frenchmen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Reds under the bed again, Speak?

The sooner we ditch this divisive and inaccurate left/right dichotomy the better, to be honest. Are we really STILL drawing ideological lines in the sand based entirely on the seating preferences of a bunch of long-dead Frenchmen?

Eh?

But I'm with you if we can blame it on the French (spits).:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?

But I'm with you if we can blame it on the French (spits).:D

Why do you think we call them "left" and "right"? During the Revolution, supporters of the King sat on the right of the Assembly, supporters of the Revolution on the left. And thus a meme was born.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband is kind, literally kind, he has a streak of kindness running through him a mile wide and I don't know anybody in his whole life who has ever disliked him.

Personally I think SS and her husband show that whatever cultural boundaries could divide, good people will alway comes togther and put aside such arbritary differences if they show trust and respect to each other.
  • PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    Why do you think we call them "left" and "right"? During the Revolution, supporters of the King sat on the right of the Assembly, supporters of the Revolution on the left. And thus a meme was born.

I think where SS is confused is that you addressed her in a response to my post.
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    If the suspect was a Nazi he would have blown up mosques and planted bombs in Muslim districts of Oslo.

He didn't though, did he?

He attacked the politicians who allowed unrestricted immigration to occur.

So to me, his actions tell me he wasn't a racial supremacist.

Here's a translation of his posts on a Norwegian forum about immigration, cultural Marxism etc. It is very clear that he blames the government and the media. NOT the immigrants themselves.

http://pastebin.com/F5bP3CQh

Interesting link. I don't think he was a racial supremacist either. He may not even be a racist at all, just clearly very anti multi-culturalism.
    Ethnocentric movements that BNP, National Front is not successful and will never be able to get over 10% support (GDP 5%, the UN has 7%). One can not fight racism (multikulti) with racism. Ethnocentrism is therefore the complete opposite of what we want to achieve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    I think where SS is confused is that you addressed her in a response to my post.

Ah yes! That would make sense.

Sorry, Speak and Politico.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes! That would make sense.

Sorry, Speak and Politico.

No probs, that was it.

But do we still get to blame the French?(spits)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No probs, that was it.

But do we still get to blame the French?(spits)

If we must...
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norway seems very similar to the UK, only on a smaller scale people wise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Norway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Norway

Labour and their lefty liberal pals took over in 2005 and by 2006, immigration had hit a record level.

I wonder what it is about the UK that prevents politics turning in to terrorism. I mean the Irish regarded themselves as fighting for freedom and they were a separate land mass. The 7/7 bombers were religious fanatics whose hearts and minds were far away from British life.

The far right seems to stay with in the borders of thugishness, yet in a nice peaceful country like Norway the far right go over the edge and start shooting and bombing.
    Forum Member
    I mean the Irish regarded themselves as fighting for freedom and they were a separate land mass.

What about loyalist terrorists?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    WTF is a "Free Market Liberal, Anti-Muslim Zionist"?
    Griffin just makes this stuff up as he goes along....
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    WTF is a "Free Market Liberal, Anti-Muslim Zionist"?
    Griffin just makes this stuff up as he goes along....

Apparently he was previously in the Norwegian Progress Party when he was younger, who are classical liberal (but with an increasing national conservative edge) and quite popular in Norway.

As for the murderer: I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that he's a lone nutter. No great conspiracy, just a fruitcake. As with some of the Islamist terrorists that there have been.
  • Doubting ThomasDoubting Thomas Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    timothy mcveigh and jared loughner (Tucson) were right wing. jared loughner read marx, but that's the same as I occasionally watch fox news. It doesn't mean I am a fan.

Jared Loughner was not right wing. He actually was an registered independant who allegedly voted democrat. Amongst his favourite books were mein kampf and the communist manifesto, he had no overall political leanings and to suggest so is rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jared Loughner was not right wing. He actually was an registered independant who allegedly voted democrat. Amongst his favourite books were mein kampf and the communist manifesto, he had no overall political leanings and to suggest so is rubbish.

Given that I think the whole "right/left" thing is bullshit anyway, I do find it quite funny how people make such a big deal out of making sure anyone who did bad shit didn't agree with their views.

"A registered independent who allegedly voted democrat". What does that even MEAN?
  • nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member

I think this blog post responds to the kind of point you are seeking to make

I also think you have your right wing blinkers on
    Forum Member
    "A registered independent who allegedly voted democrat". What does that even MEAN?

Did he stand for office as an Independent? He could have voted Democratic at other times.