Quirke - BBC One Pace (No Spoilers) Sundays 9pm.

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Didn't find a UK pace thread for this 3 part crime drama starting tonight on BBC One at 9pm. Looks interesting. Set in 1950's Dublin and the US. Gabriel Byrne, Michael Gambon and Geraldine Somerville are always a good watch.

Comments

• Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't find a UK pace thread for this 3 part crime drama starting tonight on BBC One at 9pm. Looks interesting. Set in 1950's Dublin and the US. Gabriel Byrne, Michael Gambon and Geraldine Somerville are always a good watch.

It's fabulous. Physically very dark, shot to look like grimey Dublin in the 50's..so that can be a tad annoying, however Gabriel Byrne & supporting cast are brilliant and overall it was really enjoyable. Well worth a watch!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's fabulous. Physically very dark, shot to look like grimey Dublin in the 50's..so that can be a tad annoying, however Gabriel Byrne & supporting cast are brilliant and overall it was really enjoyable. Well worth a watch!

How many episodes have been shown in Ireland? That's why I put no spoilers just in case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Does Byrne play a pathologist? Is it like a 1950's Quincy?
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Byrne play a pathologist? Is it like a 1950's Quincy?

It was shown in 3 parts, if memory serves me correctly it was 1 and a half hrs, possibly even two. Gabriel plays a pathologist, however that actually is a minor feature, what is to the forefront is his personal relationships,so in that sense it's unlike Quincy. As I said earlier, I absolutely loved it, as it was very evocative of it's time and I'm a sucker for period pieces. Stick with it and I promise you'll enjoy it. ;-)I'm going to watch it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was shown in 3 parts, if memory serves me correctly it was 1 and a half hrs, possibly even two. Gabriel plays a pathologist, however that actually is a minor feature, what is to the forefront is his personal relationships,so in that sense it's unlike Quincy. As I said earlier, I absolutely loved it, as it was very evocative of it's time and I'm a sucker for period pieces. Stick with it and I promise you'll enjoy it. ;-)I'm going to watch it again.

:) ok thanks. I've read the first episode was quite slow moving but it picks up in the 2nd episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is every episode 90 minutes or just the first one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another Gleeson. They're taking over the world. :D
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good but the sound is poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a lot clearer than Jamaica Inn.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'd think they'd learn. I'm missing about half the dialogue. I think I'll cut my loses. It's such a shame that the BBC can't get the sound right given how much effort is put into all other aspects of shows.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It's a lot clearer than Jamaica Inn.

Gabriel is mumbling somewhat; everyone else seems audible
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Gabriel is mumbling somewhat; everyone else seems audible

I can understand what he's saying.
  • kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member

I understand that Gabriel Byrne is soft spoken but I agree ... They are a bit mumbly but not as bad as Jamaica Inn!
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    A lot of mumbling, and again people seem to be in semi-darkness wherever they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This storyline is like Philomena.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it....YES, the speaking sound was dismal at times, but the story line made up for that..

Cannot wait to see the other 2 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The American accents are crap
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm glad somebody else thinks that.........I really don't understand how some programmes get signed off out of post-production.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's alright. It's held my interest for longer than most period dramas do.

I prefer the scenes that actually refer to the baby-nicking to the Downton Abbey-esque posh family scenes.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get the mystery about Phoebe
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Madeley was having a right moan on twitter about being unable to hear the show properly (see:- https://twitter.com/richardm56).
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is every episode 90 minutes or just the first one?

All three episodes are 90 minutes long
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will bring you down Garrett. Cue Hawaii Five 0 music.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it tedious and gave up with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found it tedious and gave up with it.

He flew all the way to Boston just to find out something he could have easily found out in Dublin. Could have saved us at least 30 minutes.