Options

How would you improve Coronation Street?

13»

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Get rid of the deadwood for starters

There is too much deadwood but I would start with the producer.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This version of the theme tune needs to go too. Nothing beats the authentic brass band of the original (and of course the 1964 rerecording of the opening them).

The current theme absolutely stinks.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    The Nazirs seems to be getting worse and worse.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a hot tub in.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    1) Axe the Nazirs. They're not working and are a black hole of dullness, dragging everything they touch into it.

2) Get back to character-led storylines rather than plot contrivances. Eg. Address how Steve's depression is a direct result of Michelle's attitude to him; have Roy bask in real grief rather then having misery forced upon him in other ways; have more stories like Mary/Dev.

3) Re-dress the balance of characters' screen time - less Carla and more Leanne; less Tracy and more Beth; less Liz and more Eileen.

4) Be tighter on scripts - stop with the massive SORs and the astonishing lack of research in particular (Max storyline, Peter trial being the worst).

These would hugely improve the show IMO.

Totally agree....You should try chatting to Blackburn he's badly in need of idea's..
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    The Nazirs seems to be getting worse and worse.

The Nazirs are here for good I think especially as they are now moving onto the cobbles.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Get a hot tub in.

..:D..
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Get rid of Anthony Cotton! He is so annoying. I would also retire the actor who plays Norris, he's unbearable. I think the producer should go too. I find myself doing other things when Corrie is on as the stories aren't holding my attention.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    Angie Freeman and Jenny Bradley went to the polytechnic back when no 7 was the student house.

Andy McDonald went to uni too, and graduated in 1997.

My answer is the same as always: cut the number of episodes a week. The quality has dropped with each episode added. Sadly, I think ITV are more likely to add one than take one away. They're destroying their golden goose.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change the producer.
    Lose the Nazirs. Get rid of Mee chelle.
    Then... Get some decent writers who know how to do comedy bits.
    Get Steve back to cheeerful but daft.
    Get a researcher to do a scan of a character's history.]
    IMO, Mary is criminally under-used.
    Oh and address the oddness that has so many gay people in one place. altho to be fair they've got rid of one.
    Oh , and less sensationalism. More character stuff.....like what it is up our street.
    Oh and get me in to advise them.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd make it more realistic. Get a few characters to get jobs outside of the street. Have Steve lease the pub and Nick lease the bistro, get rid of Tracy's shop or move it to an offscreen location. There's too many business owners on one supposedly working class street. Show the effect of unemployment and financial struggles properly - the Windasses could have been a decent example if Anna didn't decide oh we need more money I'll get meself a second job sure no bother, that's not realistic.

I'd stop making it all about faaahmily, not every character needs a long lost relative to appear and move in out of nowhere for no good reason. The Nazirs aren't working, get rid of Sharif and make Yazmeen a recurring character - she's unbearable in large doses but could work in small ones. Build longer-lasting realistic relationships - a settled couple doesn't have to be boring, there doesn't need to be constant affairs and shock pregnancies and this and that and they don't need to be constantly lovey dovey either.

Have more character-driven stories and give every character something to do, give everyone a chance, but if it's not working just give it up for gods sake. Gail and Michael are absolutely beyond cringeworthy to watch in serious context like about Michael's heart condition, but can be pretty funny when they're in the background being stupidly happy, so I'd keep them in the background most of the time. Also for months we had Michelle jeering Steve which was obviously meant to be hilarious but wasn't at all - the depression storyline is suiting all of them much better (although axing Michelle would be my preferred decision).

Get rid of some of the deadwood. Fair enough Corrie likes to be loyal to its actors but Sean, Maria and Dev in particular have been there 10+ years and none of them have made any sort of an impact on the show. Why bother keeping them on?
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Change the producer.
    Lose the Nazirs. Get rid of Mee chelle.
    Then... Get some decent writers who know how to do comedy bits.
    Get Steve back to cheeerful but daft.
    Get a researcher to do a scan of a character's history.]
    IMO, Mary is criminally under-used.
    Oh and address the oddness that has so many gay people in one place. altho to be fair they've got rid of one.
    Oh , and less sensationalism. More character stuff.....like what it is up our street.
    Oh and get me in to advise them.

I agree with most of this, in fact you've largely said in a few lines what took me half a page earlier in the thread!! Lol!!
    All I would say on the gay characters front is, from what I understand Manchester is something of a 'gay capital' so to speak, & , sadly the gay character they dropped was the only one I would say who represented the gay community in a responsible & realistic way, rather than some sort of 70's sitcom stereotype or oddball character!! Marcus was great!! Iso agree about the researcher into the history of a character!! Good post, well put!!!
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with most of this, in fact you've largely said in a few lines what took me half a page earlier in the thread!! Lol!!
    All I would say on the gay characters front is, from what I understand Manchester is something of a 'gay capital' so to speak, & , sadly the gay character they dropped was the only one I would say who represented the gay community in a responsible & realistic way, rather than some sort of 70's sitcom stereotype or oddball character!! Marcus was great!! Iso agree about the researcher into the history of a character!! Good post, well put!!!
    Thanks notdebbie .I spoke from my heart as I used to love Corrieand it dismays me the way it's been wrecked.