Veg I can 'hide' in smoothies

loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
Forum Member
My new year's resolution is to eat more healthily (which I'm guessing will last about a week :D), including more fruit and, more importantly, vegetables.

I love a smoothie and I feel that if I have one in the morning with most of my 5-a-day in it then anything else is a bonus.

So what vegetables could I 'hide' in smoothies and not taste them, and what fruits are good at masking the flavours?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kale, any greens really, carrots, my husband uses frozen spinach and says that makes a nice cold smoothie. Apples, berries, bananas, pears, he isn't keen on citrus as it takes over too much and that's all you end up tasting.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of "green" juice recipes contain an apple to bring some sweetness.
    Beetroot is also good.
    Greens alone are clearly healthy but need another element to overcome the blandness.
    If you include raw root ginger start with a little until you reach a level you like.
    It's very pleasant but surprisingly noticeable.

Scroll down and check the Ingredient list here:
    https://juicerecipes.com
    Click an ingredient for ideas.

There are many reasonable priced juice/smoothy recipe books out there.
    Check Amazon.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brussel sprouts.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although they're not veggies, adding a few almonds and some olive oil to your smoothie is very healthy.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrot and beet juices are naturally sweet. Be a little careful with beet root, some people find it has a profound effect on their digestion.

Spinich is mild as is leaf lettuce. Kale is good for you but it has a distinctive flavor. Celery is a classic.

Avacado adds a creamy texture and works well with chocolate.

For fruits berries are lower on the glycemic scale than pears or grapes. It's easy to go over board with fruit juice, so take care to watch portion sizes.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, very helpful posts. :)

I like most 'earthy' vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower etc., but am not so good with more bitter 'grassy' veg like lettuce (unless it's smothered in salad cream in a chicken burger :blush: ) or celery.
    molliepops wrote: »
    Kale, any greens really, carrots, my husband uses frozen spinach and says that makes a nice cold smoothie. Apples, berries, bananas, pears, he isn't keen on citrus as it takes over too much and that's all you end up tasting.
    I read somewhere frozen broccoli was good, so I will defo try that and spinach. I haven't tried kale and don't think I could eat it but will try it in a smoothie.

A lot of "green" juice recipes contain an apple to bring some sweetness.
    Beetroot is also good.
    Greens alone are clearly healthy but need another element to overcome the blandness.
    If you include raw root ginger start with a little until you reach a level you like.
    It's very pleasant but surprisingly noticeable.

Scroll down and check the Ingredient list here:
    https://juicerecipes.com
    Click an ingredient for ideas.

There are many reasonable priced juice/smoothy recipe books out there.
    Check Amazon.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to drink a vegetable-only smoothie. I couldn't put beetroot in as I hate it with a passion. :p I can't even be in the same room as someone eating it as the smell makes me gag.
    I like the ginger idea though. I have some frozen ginger cubes in the freezer, would they work?
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Brussel sprouts.
    I like Brussels sprouts anyway, but wouldn't they be a bit strong for a smoothie?
    Although they're not veggies, adding a few almonds and some olive oil to your smoothie is very healthy.
    Thanks for the tip. :)
    Carrot and beet juices are naturally sweet. Be a little careful with beet root, some people find it has a profound effect on their digestion.

Spinich is mild as is leaf lettuce. Kale is good for you but it has a distinctive flavor. Celery is a classic.

Avacado adds a creamy texture and works well with chocolate.

For fruits berries are lower on the glycemic scale than pears or grapes. It's easy to go over board with fruit juice, so take care to watch portion sizes.
    How much would you recommend a day? I know it's not great to eat a lot of fruit because of the sugars which is why I want to add vegetables too.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    spinach, very healthy too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, very helpful posts. :)

I like most 'earthy' vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower etc., but am not so good with more bitter 'grassy' veg like lettuce (unless it's smothered in salad cream in a chicken burger :blush: ) or celery.

I read somewhere frozen broccoli was good, so I will defo try that and spinach. I haven't tried kale and don't think I could eat it but will try it in a smoothie.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to drink a vegetable-only smoothie. I couldn't put beetroot in as I hate it with a passion. :p I can't even be in the same room as someone eating it as the smell makes me gag.
    I like the ginger idea though. I have some frozen ginger cubes in the freezer, would they work?

I like Brussels sprouts anyway, but wouldn't they be a bit strong for a smoothie?

Thanks for the tip. :)

How much would you recommend a day? I know it's not great to eat a lot of fruit because of the sugars which is why I want to add vegetables too.

I'm careful of sugars so I stick to no more than a cup of fruit a day - small orange, half cup serving of berries, small banana. I might go wild with a large grapefruit half.

Green veg on the other hand is a free for all. I don't restrict those at all. I've been known to have salad for breakfast when I'm not putting spinich in my scrambled eggs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh! Don't forget cucumbers. Or butternut squash. Or summer squash for that matter.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending how strong your smoothie maker is you can put anything in it and not really notice unless it is very strong tasting. I hate carrots but when they have been through my Vitamix blender (very powerful one) I do not know they are in there.
    Do the same with soup - any veg tastes good when it has been blended and all the flavours mixed together. I buy frozen broccoli just to make soup with then add Parmesan cheese to the blender