Options

Confirmed: Missy returns and other news!

MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
Forum Member
From the Radio Times online:

It's been quite a morning for those desperate for Doctor Who series 9 knowledge, with three pieces of new, significant information being released by the BBC.

The first? Doctor Who series 9's first two episodes will be a two-parter called The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familiar, both written by Steven Moffat and directed by Blink director Hettie MacDonald. They are the second two-parters to be filmed, with another already in the can but taking place later in the series.

The second, of course, is that Michelle Gomez's Missy / Master is back! Given that both Gomez and Steven Moffat have confirmed this before, it's not new information, but it is now known that she will be starring in series 9's opening two episodes, meaning that - since she apparently died in series 8 finale Death In Heaven - she won't have been off our screens for too long. In characteristically devious fashion, she announced her return via the video.

Speaking of Gomez's return and teasing details of the openers, Moffat said: “Everybody hide - Michelle Gomez as Missy was an instant hit last year, so she’s straight back to plague the Doctor and Clara in the series opener. But what brings her back into their lives is the last thing they’d expect.” Intriguing….

And last, but not least, is the return of Jemma Redgrave among other guest stars. Having filmed The Day of the Doctor in the series’ 50th anniversary special and Dark Water and Death in Heaven in series 8, she will return once again as Kate Lethbridge Stewart for series 9.

Also confirmed for the episodes is actress Kelly Hunter, who fans may recognise from as a member of the Sisterhood of Karn from The Night of the Doctor, who will feature alongside theatre and TV actress Clare Higgins and Jaye Griffiths, who has previously featured in Silent Witness and Casualty.

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both back after one episode's absence and I'm all for it. Pleased to have a two-part opening, too! One thing I enjoyed from Series 6. Directed by Macdonald? Yes please.

Though hopefully Missy's not around to take over the Earth in spectacular fashion... because that would be ridiculously soon and obvious and familiar. Moffat does imply a different direction, though.

Bonus: Paul Cornell pens multi-Doctor Titan comic.

All this and a new Alien film in one day ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Both back after one episode's absence and I'm all for it.

If only Ingrid Oliver could be added to the list! #OsgoodIsNotDead
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fans may not recognise Kelly Hunter as a sister of Karn for obvious reasons! Clare Higgins, though....yeah.

Still, I didn't realise Ms Hunter has been in The Stolen Earth so not so clever there, was I.

;-)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clare Higgins, though....yeah.

Will she be offering John Simm 'man or woman?' ;-)

No. Probably not.
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed she is wearing a vortex manipulator so looks like she doesn't have a TARDIS after all.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this is a massive clue about the theme for Season 9 - the search for Gallifrey hots up!

1/ Missy seems to know where it is

2/ Kelly Hunter may be playing the same role she played in The Stolen Earth. If so, perhaps the Doctor drops in to see The Shadow Proclamation for help!

3/ Perhaps the Doctor also seeks guidance from Ohila from the Sisterhood of Karn (Claire Higgins).
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    From the Radio Times online:

It's been quite a morning for those desperate for Doctor Who series 9 knowledge, with three pieces of new, significant information being released by the BBC.

The first? Doctor Who series 9's first two episodes will be a two-parter called The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familiar, both written by Steven Moffat and directed by Blink director Hettie MacDonald. They are the second two-parters to be filmed, with another already in the can but taking place later in the series.

The second, of course, is that Michelle Gomez's Missy / Master is back! Given that both Gomez and Steven Moffat have confirmed this before, it's not new information, but it is now known that she will be starring in series 9's opening two episodes, meaning that - since she apparently died in series 8 finale Death In Heaven - she won't have been off our screens for too long. In characteristically devious fashion, she announced her return via the video.

Speaking of Gomez's return and teasing details of the openers, Moffat said: “Everybody hide - Michelle Gomez as Missy was an instant hit last year, so she’s straight back to plague the Doctor and Clara in the series opener. But what brings her back into their lives is the last thing they’d expect.” Intriguing….

And last, but not least, is the return of Jemma Redgrave among other guest stars. Having filmed The Day of the Doctor in the series’ 50th anniversary special and Dark Water and Death in Heaven in series 8, she will return once again as Kate Lethbridge Stewart for series 9.

Also confirmed for the episodes is actress Kelly Hunter, who fans may recognise from as a member of the Sisterhood of Karn from The Night of the Doctor, who will feature alongside theatre and TV actress Clare Higgins and Jaye Griffiths, who has previously featured in Silent Witness and Casualty.

It's strange that they didn't refer to the fact that Clare Higgins was also in The Night of The Doctor as the lead witch of the Sisterhood of Karn.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Cool.

Could be too soon after the series 7 finale..maybe.. but it was such a wonderful performance I'll be looking forward to her return.

Hopefully The Master and The Doctor will have to work together to find Gallifrey which would be an interesting dynamic. I really would not mind her being a full time companion for a series for such a story arc.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reckon this will be good. Doctor and his friends will probably have to form some sort of alliance with Missy. Don't think they will like having her around after last time. If there is another two parter in the middle of the series wouldn't mind. Moffat has also promised a shock at the end of 9.11 as yet untitled Cliff hanger for the finale. Thought of it last year.
    Said something like we didn't see that coming. Hoping something good like a revelation about the doctor or Clara. Possibly someone friend or foe returning. 12 hears a voice calling him turns round and is stunned when he realises who is standing in front of him.
  • Options
    embrascotembrascot Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't like the Missy character. She/He/It made no sense. The whole sex change story was baloney and based on a throw-away line made a long time ago.

Moffat attempted to ruin the Daleks with their redesign (failed thankfully), he has not explained how Missy managed to escape when all of the other Galifreyans were sent back to wherever they are hidden. He certainly hasn't explained how Rassilon is alive after being dead for so long (The Five Doctors).

But worst of all, he has insulted the memory of The Brig by turning him into a Cyberman and then negating his final act of destroying the villain of the piece. That was unforgivable.

The Peter Capaldi first season was great, not oppressive like the Matt Smith ones but ultimately spoilt by this nonsensical character.

Get a grip Moffat or go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's strange that they didn't refer to the fact that Clare Higgins was also in The Night of The Doctor as the lead witch of the Sisterhood of Karn.

They got Clare mixed up with Kelly Hunter.

Clare was in Night of the Doctor and Kelly was in The Stolen Earth as the head of the Shadow Proclamation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cool. Could be too soon after the series 7 finale..maybe.. but it was such a wonderful performance I'll be looking forward to her return.

I did think that myself at first. But then I thought that, without the excitement of a new companion (bloody Clara!!), season 8 needed some other way to hit the ground running and Missy is certainly that.

#OsgoodIsNotDead
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    embrascot wrote: »
    I really don't like the Missy character. She/He/It made no sense. The whole sex change story was baloney and based on a throw-away line made a long time ago.

Moffat attempted to ruin the Daleks with their redesign (failed thankfully), he has not explained how Missy managed to escape when all of the other Galifreyans were sent back to wherever they are hidden. He certainly hasn't explained how Rassilon is alive after being dead for so long (The Five Doctors).

But worst of all, he has insulted the memory of The Brig by turning him into a Cyberman and then negating his final act of destroying the villain of the piece. That was unforgivable.

The Peter Capaldi first season was great, not oppressive like the Matt Smith ones but ultimately spoilt by this nonsensical character.

Get a grip Moffat or go!

RTD brought back Rassilon in The End of Time. Nothing to do with Moffat.

And how is it insulting to the Brigadier? He helped his friend and saved his daughter in earths darkest hour fighting alongside the doctor and helping earth. A far more apt and brave final 'appearance'and tribute than a throwaway phone call to a Nursing home. Did you really think the Master was actually dead and gone after that? Of course not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I did think that myself at first. But then I thought that, without the excitement of a new companion (bloody Clara!!), season 8 needed some other way to hit the ground running and Missy is certainly that.

#OsgoodIsNotDead

Guys! Your counting is all over the place!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guys! Your counting is all over the place!

Its a personal thing - I call season 7 "The War Season".
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

Get a grip Moffat or go!

Well said, agree with every word.
  • Options
    embrascotembrascot Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Master should have been gone a long time ago. The John Simm version was just too over the top, even worse than Anthony Ainley.

A reincarnation as a female ham (as in acting) is not clever writing; it would have been much better to create a new character. Not the Rani though, she was a mad scientist in her own right and wouldn't resort to joining forces with Cybermen of dubious origin.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Higgins and Hunter will be playing the same characters they played before. If so, with the Master and the Sisterhood of Karn back, I can see the search for Gallifrey arc coming to the fore, but I can't imagine how the Shadow Proclamation would be involved.

It's all falling into place as what may well be the final chapter of the Moffat saga begins...
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get a grip Moffat or go!

Amen.

Regarding Moffat: Doesn't he look tired? :)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get a grip Moffat or go!

Typical Moffat-bashing piffle.
    Do you genuinely think that Moffat 'attempted to ruin the Daleks'?? Why on earth would he do this? To what purpose?
    Why should he attempt to explain plot points made in the Five Doctors? And when has Moffat scripted anything with Rassilon anyway?
    How has the memory of the Brigadier been insulted? I have very fond memories of the character - are your own memories so poor that a new plot point can utterly ruin them?
    How exactly were Matt Smith's seasons 'oppressive'? How would that make any sense in the context of a tv serial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Typical Moffat-bashing piffle.
    Do you genuinely think that Moffat 'attempted to ruin the Daleks'?? Why on earth would he do this? To what purpose?
    Why should he attempt to explain plot points made in the Five Doctors? And when has Moffat scripted anything with Rassilon anyway?
    How has the memory of the Brigadier been insulted? I have very fond memories of the character - are your own memories so poor that a new plot point can utterly ruin them?
    How exactly were Matt Smith's seasons 'oppressive'? How would that make any sense in the context of a tv serial?

It really is isn't it? I'm actually not a Moffat fan boy. I think there is plenty to criticise if you go looking for it. Same with RTD. Same with any writer. No one is above criticims or infallible. But what gets me is just how pitifully poor a lot of the anti Moffat stuff is. It's either woefully argued, factually incorrect, simplistic generalisation, opinion masquerading as consensus, personal and nasty, bitter and silly. The same glib comments and worn out platitudes trotted out time after time.

Go for his writing! Specifically name what you think his weaknesses are that are relevant to him! Dont blame him for things he hasn't even done or for things that were perfectly fine during his predecessor s era but all of a sudden are verboten because...I'm not sure exactly- because some fans like to treat eras and different writers like it's party politics or organised team sports...And certainly don't resort to lazy hyperbole and sweeping statements about him 'destroying the show' or 'looking tired' or whatever else it is. Because it just sounds silly. Hate him or not. But facts are facts. Moffat is a jewel in the BBC crown. He is massively in demand. He has taken Smith and Cumberbatch and Freeman and made them international stars. He wins awards. Actors drop everything to work for him. He is big box office and very well respected. Doesn't mean everyone has to like him or his work. But let's not be silly. Alas so many are. And his continued success just seems to make them angrier and more irrational in their hatred as they jab angrily at their keyboards and spew more venom across tumblr and Twitter and forums. Poor things.

I think some people actually think Moffat plotted all his life to become show runner and then purposefully dismantle and spoil the show. These people are actually insane. Truth is Moffat is a massive fan of the show. He loves it. And he gets to write it. He runs it! Dream come true. And don't some fans just hate that fact. Because they would be so much better at it! Haven't you read their fan fiction!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For me, characters like Missy are such a contradiction in how I view Moffat as a writer.

I never feel his female companions are rounded or engaging characters. I never cared for Amy and I continue to struggle to care about Clara.

And yet he often nails the characterisation of his female supporting cast - River, Madame Vastra, Jenny Flint, Osgood and now Missy. All of them are just wonderful, entertaining and sympathetic characters.

Perhaps its because the set up for the supporting characters is a bit simpler (he did overcomplicate things with both Amy and Clara).

But I wish he could just deliver a female companion that I cared about half as much as I did when it looked like the Whisper Men had murdered Jenny in The Name of the Doctor, or when Missy murdered Osgood in Death in Heaven.

And even mad old Missy herself is just wonderful. I'd love to see her face-off against River!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is isn't it? I'm actually not a Moffat fan boy. I think there is plenty to criticise if you go looking for it. Same with RTD. Same with any writer. No one is above criticims or infallible. But what gets me is just how pitifully poor a lot of the anti Moffat stuff is. It's either woefully argued, factually incorrect, simplistic generalisation, opinion masquerading as consensus, personal and nasty, bitter and silly. The same glib comments and worn out platitudes trotted out time after time.
    I think some people actually think Moffat plotted all his life to become show runner and then purposefully dismantle and spoil the show. These people are actually insane. Truth is Moffat is a massive fan of the show. He loves it. And he gets to write it. He runs it! Dream come true. And don't some fans just hate that fact. Because they would be so much better at it! Haven't you read their fan fiction!

Absolutely. I'm not a big Moffat fan. I'm not so keen on the way he's taken Doctor Who at times, (for example I feel that his season long story arcs are frequently unwieldy and don't resolve themselves satisfactorily enough for me) but I know that he's a huge fan of Doctor Who, and he would never knowingly try to destroy the show (I mean why, for heaven's sake? It's the stupidest suggestion ever). A massive amount of the hate for him and his work comes across purely as jealousy.

And I love your closing paragraph!
    Some fan fiction is excellent, and some of the writers on 21st Century Who cut their teeth on fan fiction, but it is a totally different set of skills that is needed to write for, or run, a successful tv show. These are skills that Moffat (and RTD) clearly possess, and these are skills that the majority of us posting here and on other message boards clearly don't have. That's not having a go at posters - I mean I don't possess the skills to rewire my house, so I call in someone who does. I don't possess the skills to write or showrun Doctor Who, so I leave it to those that do.

Doesn't mean I always like what the experts are doing, but lazy sniping is woefully unhelpful and suggestions such as 'Get a grip Moffat' simply make the poster seem foolish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master should have been gone a long time ago. The John Simm version was just too over the top, even worse than Anthony Ainley.

A reincarnation as a female ham (as in acting) is not clever writing; it would have been much better to create a new character. Not the Rani though, she was a mad scientist in her own right and wouldn't resort to joining forces with Cybermen of dubious origin.

Good job you clarified this in case people actually thought that Master had been reincarnated as a side of dead pig...:D:D