Tanya last night summed up the work ethic of Walford

KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,275
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tanya: Not now Poppy, make her a cup of tea and tell her I am coming

Walford would rather have conversations and languish in the Cafe or the Vic, than work

Comments

• rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wouldnt we all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Have to say it was a pretty poor indictment.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must try that attitude at work. I might get a promotion.
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the work ethic in Albert Square. I don't know if this has already been mentioned in another thread (probably....) but I thought it was a laughable touch in last night's ep. - when it emphasized Bianca's struggle against so called "poverty" in showing her daytime footwear break in two at the sole on two occasions - yet she had enough money to get all tarted up like a daytime office girl with a steady wage - and presumably drink the night away with the other girls and boys at Jack and Sharon's engagement party! did she raid Carol's purse I wonder?!
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    Re the work ethic in Albert Square. I don't know if this has already been mentioned in another thread (probably....) but I thought it was a laughable touch in last night's ep. - when it emphasized Bianca's struggle against so called "poverty" in showing her daytime footwear break in two at the sole on two occasions - yet she had enough money to get all tarted up like a daytime office girl with a steady wage - and presumably drink the night away with the other girls and boys at Jack and Sharon's engagement party! did she raid Carol's purse I wonder?!

She may have borrowed Whit's clothes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »

we saw her buying them off the market saying now she had some money from her job she could treat herself ,or something along them lines!x
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hiddengem wrote: »
    we saw her buying them off the market saying now she had some money from her job she could treat herself ,or something along them lines!x

In soap all you need is a job and regardless of how many hours you work or your hourly rate you will always have enough for the essentials like drinking in the vic or eating in the cafe!

Also you will nearly always get an advance unless you are in genuine need.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Tanya: Not now Poppy, make her a cup of tea and tell her I am coming

Walford would rather have conversations and languish in the Cafe or the Vic, than work

I wish I had a pound for every time Tanya says 'not now Lauren/ Abi/ Max/ Mum / darling '..I'd be a wealth woman. It's become her catch phrase.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hiddengem wrote: »

Can she not spare the money instead of always treating herself, she got 3 kids to think about,
    she should save every penny she makes,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You know you have truly reached rock bottom when you borrow clothes from Whitney :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest , soapland has never been accurate when it comes to employment, housing costs and disposable income.

How the hell anyone ever affords the mortgage or rent in Albert Square I'll never know. :rolleyes:
    But there is always enough for a daily cafe munch and a G&T in the Vic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    To be honest , soapland has never been accurate when it comes to employment, housing costs and disposable income.

How the hell anyone ever affords the mortgage or rent in Albert Square I'll never know. :rolleyes:
    But there is always enough for a daily cafe munch and a G&T in the Vic

Those houses are worth about 400-500k aren't they? The mortgage fees must be huge.

Bianca gets benefits and has other income such as Carol's wages so it's quite easy to see how she affords the rent.

Janine is a millionaire, Lucy owns about 3 businesses, Max & Tanya both work, Kim owns a B&B plus has Denise and Patrick to contribute, the Masoods all work, Phil owns the Archers plus is landlord of the Vic so must be doing well.

The most far fetched thing is how people can just turn up somewhere and get offered a job like it's as easy as buying a packet of sweets.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Those houses are worth about 400-500k aren't they? The mortgage fees must be huge.

Bianca gets benefits and has other income such as Carol's wages so it's quite easy to see how she affords the rent.

Janine is a millionaire, Lucy owns about 3 businesses, Max & Tanya both work, Kim owns a B&B plus has Denise and Patrick to contrubute, the Masoods all work, Phil owns the Archers plus is landlord of the Vic so must be doing well.

more than that as they are in London. Max and Tanya's would be worth more than 500k easily. I remember reading somewhere how unrealistic it is as none of them would be able to own these houses in real life with the jobs they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    more than that as they are in London. Max and Tanya's would be worth more than 500k easily. I remember reading somewhere how unrealistic it is as none of them would be able to own these houses in real life with the jobs they do.

In May 2008 on Walford Web, it says Ian Beale's house is valued the highest in soap at £597,233. The Wickes house is £502,391. How much would the prices be now in comparison to 08?

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/ww/tag/45-albert-square
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

Max and Tanya live in Jack's house. Does he own his flat as well ? I'd love to know where a cop got all that money, especially with the amount of maintainance he must be paying.
    Forum Member
    In May 2008 on Walford Web, it says Ian Beale's house is valued the highest in soap at £597,233. The Wickes house is £502,391. How much would the prices be now in comparison to 08?

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/ww/tag/45-albert-square

I don't know but in London (and the South East) house prices aren't falling they are actually going up
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think if you combined all of the "workers" wages in the Square, then apart from AWOL Janine, they probably couldn't afford the mortgage on one of the properties when all lumped together, let alone have individual ones each!!

Phil has dodgy business dealings beyond just owning The Vic (including using the Archers as a hub for dodgy car dealings) - all of which can be lucrative beyond the everyday wage possibly but Janine aside, he would be the only other candidate who could make London money to be able to live normally there! As for the rest - Max (second hand car salesman), Tanya (a poxy beauty and hair salon manageress), Jack and Michael (boxing gym pen pushers and promoters), Kim and Denise (a modest guest house/mini mart worker), Carol (part timer worker somewhere), Bianca (benefits and part time cleaner), Mas (a postman!) - no way hose! Albert Square must virtually be rent free!

Still, I guess the old adage is that it's only a soap and isn't meant to have "realism" off to a tee!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    I think if you combined all of the "workers" wages in the Square, then apart from AWOL Janine, they probably couldn't afford the mortgage on one of the properties when all lumped together, let alone have individual ones each!!

Phil has dodgy business dealings beyond just owning The Vic (including using the Archers as a hub for dodgy car dealings) - all of which can be lucrative beyond the everyday wage possibly but Janine aside, he would be the only other candidate who could make London money to be able to live normally there! As for the rest - Max (second hand car salesman), Tanya (a poxy beauty and hair salon manageress), Jack and Michael (boxing gym pen pushers and promoters), Kim and Denise (a modest guest house/mini mart worker), Carol (part timer worker somewhere), Bianca (benefits and part time cleaner), Mas (a postman!) - no way hose! Albert Square must virtually be rent free!

Still, I guess the old adage is that it's only a soap and isn't meant to have "realism" off to a tee!

The thing is we don't know what deposit each family put down on their house. The Masood's may have come into some money before moving to Walford so could put a big deposit so they're mortgage payments aren't as big. Also, Zainab works in the Minite Mart plus the family own the restaurant.

I thought Kim paid for the B&B from the money she got from Zainab from Yusef's death? So wouldn't the B&B be paid for?

Someone said that Max/Tanya live in Jack's house? Is that correct?

In a recent topic, it was worked out that the Butcher household must be earning hundereds a week in total with Carol's wages, child support from Ray/Ricky, Bianca's wages/benefits plus money from Whitney and Liam so it plausible they can afford the rent.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is we don't know what deposit each family put down on their house. The Masood's may have come into some money before moving to Walford so could put a big deposit so they're mortgage payments aren't as big. Also, Zainab works in the Minite Mart plus the family own the restaurant.

I thought Kim paid for the B&B from the money she got from Zainab from Yusef's death? So wouldn't the B&B be paid for?

In a recent topic, it was worked out that the Butcher household must be earning hundereds a week in total with Carol's wages, child support from Ray/Ricky, Bianca's wages/benefits plus money from Whitney and Liam so it plausible they can afford the rent.

The restaurant was repossessed due to 10k+ debt.

And yep, the Zainab gave Yusef's money to the Foxes to rebuild the B&B as Yusef burnt it down.

Jack does own their house, after the Stacey/Max reveal, when Tanya shacked up with Jack he brought the house, and still does own it.

Wasn't the Butchers rent really low as well, as Janine owns the place, and she was helping them?
    Forum Member

The Masood's were in financial trouble when they moved there because they used to own the Post Office that Denise worked in and they had to sack her and then close it down as they were behind with the bills or something. They were also left hight and dry by Syed who stole money from them before they disowned him the first time before they moved to Walford.

Carol and Bianca would be on minimum wage and Liam would be on less because he is only 14. Does Whitney actually work still?! I think Janine put them on reduced rent or they live rent free (after she took the house to pay of Pat's debt to her). As for child support they have never really mentioned that but as Ray is only a back-street pub chef he wouldn't be raking it in.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find it absolutely laughable that Bianca was hard up for cash and then suddenly a bit of money from one afternoon of bog cleaning left her with money to buy a new outfit and go out to the club. Shouldn't it go on priority (bills, food, kids) before being spent on frivolous things? Lol.
    Like before her break when she took out another loan and used the money for a TV instead of focusing on essentials.

Having said that, was the food and drink not "on Jack" at the party?
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume since Sharon is manager, that everything was given by her
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I doubt she could just "give" anything. Surely they'd have had to put some money into the club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I did find it absolutely laughable that Bianca was hard up for cash and then suddenly a bit of money from one afternoon of bog cleaning left her with money to buy a new outfit and go out to the club. Shouldn't it go on priority (bills, food, kids) before being spent on frivolous things? Lol.
    Like before her break when she took out another loan and used the money for a TV instead of focusing on essentials.

Having said that, was the food and drink not "on Jack" at the party?

Or new shoes as her's were literally falling to pieces. I guess we won't see those shoes again?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,170
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Max and Tanya live in Jack's house. Does he own his flat as well ? I'd love to know where a cop got all that money, especially with the amount of maintainance he must be paying.

He was bent wasn't he so I imagine he had a fair few back handers. Also, why did he leave? If he was injured in some way he is probably on a full pension and may also have got a hefty compensation pay off.

I find it hard to believe that Ians is the most expensive. It is a 2 up 2 down (when the show started Mark had one room, Pauline and Arthur and Michelle were in another with a home made partition and Lou was in the downstairs room, the one by the front door before Ian knocked it through to make it open plan) with a loft conversion. The ones on the other side of the Square like Max and Tanyas and Phils are much bigger

Also, depends when in 2008 as that is when the crash was so property prices plummeted around that time. They've remained fairly stable since then, going up a bit but not by huge amounts. 2005/2006 was about the height for the last 20 years.