Options

"I'm the only one who owns this on DS!!" Thread.

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always heard their stuff because other bands I like, mainly CSS, keep bigging them up. I do like Beat Control, though.

I'm pretty sure people will have heard of Semisonic (if only for Secret Smile) and The xx (especially after their Mercury win)

Oops meant I Am X
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Mrs YorkieUK a copy of the album "Tons of Sobs" - the first album by Free. It is a pre-production copy and has an extra track called Visions of Hell which was never on the final release. The seller - very reputable dealer - assured me it was one of only 2 copies known to exist. I bought it around 20 years ago I think. What the value could be is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to own a large amount of LPs from the early 60's to the early 90's - until some motherless s.o.b. nicked the lot while I was on holiday........

Although I can't technically say I own it yet, a CD by Living Dead Lights is currently winging it's way from Hollywood, USA. They're a kind of punky thrashy tattooed early Gn'R type of band and I'm rather fond of them - even though I'm old enough to be their Granny............

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Oddesey & Oracle, the Zombies
    Muswell Hillbillies, the Kinks
    Off the Ground, Paul McCartney
    Room on the 3rd Floor, McFly :D I liked 'em when I was ikkler
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have said Elbow's albums but it seems like their are a few Elbow fans on DS so I feel much happier... Only 4 teachers in my school have heard of them.
    Elbow? Who doesn't own one of their albums? :confused: :eek: :p
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I've got a few artist on my ipod that no-one I know have heard of although no doubt they'll be people on here that have

Everlast
    The XX
    Semisonic
    Shriekback

and the such like

Got some of these but can't imagine many would admit to owning an album by Shriekback :D

The Intro track to The XX album is awesome :cool:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have hepburn's album, oh yes.

Respect is due ..

Although that would be much more if you also owned the Thunderbugs album :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    Johnnyboy - You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve. Brilliant record from 2004.

I don't own it myself but I have heard it before -- it's a cracking song, isn't it?

My own "I bet nobody round here owns this" pick:

Blazin' Squad -- Standard Flow

Yes. Blazin' Squad. Bear with me on this one

This was before anyone actually knew who Blazin' Squad were, and it was a low-key 12" vinyl release in 2002 on what purported to be an underground record label, Weighty Plates (although personally I now suspect it was a fake record label just to make them appear more credible).

The DND remix of this was big in the garage scene at the time -- a 4x4 garage stomper with a strong bassline and ragga chants provided by dancehall legend Elephant Man, so I bought it on the strength of that. As it turns out, the reason it was such a good track was because it had NOTHING to do with Blazin' Squad -- not a single trace of them remained after DND had twisted up the track.

The b-side was a remix by dubstep pioneers Horsepower Productions (this was back in 2002, remember, when dubstep sounded a bit different to how it does now) with a woozy spaghetti western vibe to it; Morricone-esque whistling, a shuffling 2-step garage beat, and -- unfortunately -- the original vocal. MY GOD, that vocal. It was just terrible -- the sound of puberty captured on vinyl; you could almost smell the Lynx Africa wafting from the grooves when you played it -- and a sign of the terror that was to come. Luckily, there was also a mostly-instrumental version, with just the faintest ghost of their rapping remaining.

Still, glutton for punishment that I was, I bought the second promo 12" as well, which had remixes by garage DJ Ras Kwame -- again, luckily there was an instrumental version. But I drew the line at the third promo, which just had the DND mixes alongside a new drum & bass remix by Origin Unknown.

The thing about this is that all the remixers -- DND, Horsepower Productions, Ras Kwame and Origin Unknown -- were respected, credible producers. DND had been producing speed garage since '99 (and one of them, Arthur Smith, is now a respected dubstep producer in his own right, making up one third of supergroup Magnetic Man); Horsepower Productions, as I said, helped pioneer dubstep back when it was more like 2-step garage with heavy dub reggae influences; Ras Kwame had been producing garage since 1997; and Origin Unknown produced the seminal drum & bass track Valley of the Shadows in 1993, as well as launching the influential label Ram Records. In other words, we're not talking a bunch of cash-happy sell-outs. I'm genuinely intrigued as to how this all came about; did the record label just wave huge wads of cash at them all? Were they somehow tricked into agreeing to producing the remixes; perhaps by being told Blazin' Squad were an up-and-coming underground garage crew, rather than just a bunch of lads they'd found doing doughnuts in a field in a Vauxhall Nova? Did they all receive envelopes with compromising photos of them buying Aqua records, with the promise that copies would be forwarded to the dance press unless they agreed to produce remixes?

To this day, I've never heard the original version of Standard Flow. I know it's on one of Blazin' Squad's albums, but I haven't been able to find a streaming copy or download, and there is NO WAY I'm paying money to hear it; I only want to listen to it out of morbid curiosity, and to see just how far from the original the remixers had to go in order to fashion a decent track out of it.
    Could this be the longest post ever on the subject of Blazin' Squad? I feel like I should be ashamed.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    I like you guys. :D

There's also a band called Bloodduster who are quite similar.

and have you heard of Impaled Northern Moonforest? It's Seth's side project, an acoustic black metal band (yes, you read correctly!!) :D
  • Options
    LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Deana Carter's debut country music album 'Did I Shave My Legs For This' (UK edition, not the successful US release form a year later).

I've also got Semisonic's albums Feeling Strangely Fine and Chemistry, so you'll have to discount them, sorry!
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    There's also a band called Bloodduster who are quite similar.

and have you heard of Impaled Northern Moonforest? It's Seth's side project, an acoustic black metal band (yes, you read correctly!!) :D

No, but I'm about to check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Actually AC, to me, sound a little like early Hüsker Dü, especially their first two albums, 'Everything Falls Apart' and 'Land Speed Record'

Well worth a listen if you haven't already. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I was a member of the Organ Records and Shifty Disco monthly singles clubs in the late 90s, which meant you got a new CD single by one of their bands every month, usually with a glued-on paper printed cover. I can't even remember most of the bands involved, but one of the Organ lot was an electro pisstake group called Mogul I ended up writing to on a semi-regular basis. They were about 12 years ahead of their time and would be all over Myspace and the blogs if they still existed now. I still have all their records somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Elbow? Who doesn't own one of their albums? :confused: :eek: :p

Got some of these but can't imagine many would admit to owning an album by Shriekback :D

The Intro track to The XX album is awesome :cool:

It's worse I've also got an Howard Keel album on my ipod :o
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DND remix of this was big in the garage scene at the time -- a 4x4 garage stomper with a strong bassline and ragga chants provided by dancehall legend Elephant Man, so I bought it on the strength of that. As it turns out, the reason it was such a good track was because it had NOTHING to do with Blazin' Squad -- not a single trace of them remained after DND had twisted up the track.

I own an Aphex Twin remix of a Jesus Jones track... there is no hint of the original song anywhere within the remix :D
  • Options
    BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angelique Kidjo - Black Ivory Soul

Anyone else?
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if I'm the only one with any Laura Cantrell albums.
  • Options
    devo livedevo live Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Probably...

Trouble - Psalm 9

I have that one. Victim of the Insane is one of their best songs.

I'll try a few....

Heinrich Dressel - Mons Testaceum
    GreensKeepers - Pleetch
    Last Crack - Burning Time
    The Wipeouters - P'Twaaang
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I don't think its that unknown but We Are Pilots by Shiny Toy Guns is a huge fave of mine - would love them to get more recognition
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    I own an Aphex Twin remix of a Jesus Jones track... there is no hint of the original song anywhere within the remix :D

I love the (apocryphal?) story about how Aphex Twin agreed to remix the Lemonheads but then didn't get round to it -- so when the courier came round to collect the remix he just picked out an unrelated, unreleased track and handed it over :D
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I was quite impressed with myself for getting all three of John and Yoko's experimental albums on CD - Two Virgins (the infamous nude cover), Life With The Lions and The Wedding Album.

The only time I've seen them each avaliable to buy was when I bought them. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got anything by Two Gallants? One of my favourite bands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another group that seems to have passed most people I know by is riding paper aeroplanes
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbds1 wrote: »
    Anyone got anything by Two Gallants? One of my favourite bands.

Yeah, I've got Steady Rollin' after seeing them perform it live on TV a couple of years back.

As for stuff that no-one else has...I trawled a lot of indie stores in the late 80s and 90s and came across a fair amount of obscure stuff, some of it great, some dreadful. I've got a fair few early singles on the Creation label, bands like

Revolving Paint Dream
    Meat Whiplash
    The Weather Prophets
    Biff Bang Pow
    Les Zarjaz
    The Legend!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a group back in the 90's called World of Leather that were brilliant live but only released one album that I still listen to regularly
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Probably...

Trouble - Psalm 9
    Sebastian Bach - Angel Down
    Joe Perry - Have Guitar, Will Travel
    Deliverance - Weapons Of Our Warfare

I've got the Joe Perry one - only a good couple of tracks on it.
    I got Seb's one for the tracks with Axl. Not too bad.
  • Options
    CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have hepburn's album, oh yes.

Ha - I have the CD single of their little-remembered song "Deep Deep Down". :p Just looked it up and it got to 16 in the charts in 2000. Hrm. I've just kept the CD 'cause it has a nice acoustic version of I Quit on it.

I also have this Jamiroquai CD which I remember picking up in a charity shop for about £1 and not thinking much of it. I discovered recently it's actually considered very rare and was never properly released, just distributed to fans. I'm a big Jamiroquai fan myself so I feel quite pleased to have acquired it.