Hmv shocking online price rises

2»

Comments

• BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    i think you are getting confused with the sound of music

switzerland is supposed to be quite an expensive place to setup business. the costs of shutting down and moving would likely cripple the business, even though the are now an arm of a larger company

Just what I read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i read reports about switzerland being an option, but after reading more into it, it didn't seem a realistic option. i never knew dvd.co.uk operated from there, the spamming gits
    We'll see, because I think it's likely they'll try move somewhere else. Delivery costs and probably staffing costs are higher in the Channel Islands, but they still moved operations there. Ignoring all the huff about how the tax dodge is good for consumers, it's really good for their bottom line. If they price DVDs the same as Tesco stores, they get to keep 16.66% more than Tesco do. So even with higher costs, they may still be quids in.
    i guess you didn't get the joke about the play about moving to switzerland ;)
    Not a musicals fan. ;):p
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll see, because I think it's likely they'll try move somewhere else. Delivery costs and probably staffing costs are higher in the Channel Islands, but they still moved operations there. Ignoring all the huff about how the tax dodge is good for consumers, it's really good for their bottom line. If they price DVDs the same as Tesco stores, they get to keep 16.66% more than Tesco do. So even with higher costs, they may still be quids in.

Not a musicals fan. ;):p

they didn't really "move" there, they just setup operations. nothing was actually moved or relocated physically. i'm not sure the extent of their operations but play is one of the few that has a geniune operational setup, whilst the others use "head offices" simply as tax dodges

so play actually contributes to the economy in jersey by employing staff etc, whilst many other companies just use or legally abuse it's tax positions

i'm not a musicals fan either, but it's one of the most popular of several nazi related musicals. you don't need to see mama mia to know it's absolute garbage for example
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eugh this is disgusting!!!
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=4;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=361741
    this is only one example of this.I really hope hmv go bust they deserve too,no way is this a 20% increase from £8.Money grabbing at its best,but theyll regret it sooner rather than later
    Forum Member
    this is only one example of this.I really hope hmv go bust they deserve too,no way is this a 20% increase from £8.Money grabbing at its best,but theyll regret it sooner rather than later

You're quite easily offended aren't you?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Friendface wrote: »
    Yes, they should be, as they're still exempt when bought from other places in the EU. People are going to lose money/their jobs over here because of this, and not just people working for the big companies, small time ebay sellers making a bit of extra cash in tough times and small local companies are going to be affected as well.

Because Guernsey Post is more expensive than Royal Mail due to lack of second class, I think a lot of sellers who don't find it practical to use couriers rely on the lack of VAT to remain competitive.

that is entirely wrong. every word of it.

the channel islands are not in the EU

they are not vat exempt from elsewhere in the EU

you seem to think that amazon just happened to be based in Guernsey. the are there only because of this tax loop hole.

anyway you are completely wrong.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

you want all those people to lose their jobs?
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    you want all those people to lose their jobs?

To be fair, anyone who is that disgusted by an expensive DVD probably isn't thinking right.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    They're not acting very competitively and that won't be good for them.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An example is cougar town season 2 is £40 whereas play it is £15.99 but I doubt it'll go up to £40.
    I get some stuff second hand and frequently am looking for the things I want second hand.

Zavvi is selling season 1+2 together for only £12.98!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    that is entirely wrong. every word of it.

the channel islands are not in the EU

they are not vat exempt from elsewhere in the EU
    I think the point the poster is making is that customers from other EU nations, except Britain, can continue to buy from the Channel Islands and enjoy the benefit of the LVCR. So if you're in Germany or France and buy from Play.com or a Guersney-based eBay seller, you will still be able to order items up to €22 (the maximum limit allowed by the EU) without VAT. So the Channel Islands sellers, especially those smaller businesses on eBay, are now put at disadvantage when selling to the UK that they don't face elsewhere in Europe.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I foresee a future of nothing but Amazon....they'll be an evil conglomerate charging what they want. Us mere humans will have no choice to pay what they charge. Be warned.

And whose fault is that? HMV online and play were competing fine with Amazon. Then Cameron pulled this stunt out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus... £22 for that!:eek:

More money than sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    And whose fault is that? HMV online and play were competing fine with Amazon. Then Cameron pulled this stunt out.
    Amazon were engaging in the same tax dodge, so it has hardly affected the ability of Play and HMV to compete with Amazon. I would also question whether HMV have ever truly been competing with either - their prices weren't this bad, but they have never been consistently cheap even online.

Also, as has been pointed out, HMV's price rises are far in excess of what VAT would account for. They're choosing to price highly and not compete.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, as has been pointed out, HMV's price rises are far in excess of what VAT would account for. They're choosing to price highly and not compete.
    Well, that's HMV for you. They think they are selling a luxury product into the market. When in fact they are not.

It's amazing how well stores like John Lewis appears to be doing on the High Street, despite their prices. But then again it is all about value. I'd rather buy a TV from John Lewis and get that 5 years warranty (for no extra cost), than buy cheaper from amazon and pay 50 or so pounds extra on top for an extended warranty. So Amazon and the like are not perfect for everything.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I frequently buy off HMV online but only because they could keep costs lower than stores because of the handy Channel Islands loophole.
    I strongly dislike Amazon's ethics of outpricing rivals until they are forced to close or be taken over by Amazon (I was a fan of the Book Depository but it's now Amazon under another name). It's killing the high street (especially independent stores like the one I work in :(). Because of this, I'm prepared to spend up to £1ish more to get it from a place which I prefer.
    However, if it's much much cheaper on Amazon then I'd rather save the money. My purchase of a £10 DVD is not going to save the company!