Celebrities who are vile in real life?

Comments

• bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    A chap I know who works in a catalogue shop once served Smillie. She was kept waiting, with everyone else, and uttered the immortal, 'I'm sorry, but do you know who I am?'
    There was a story I heard a few years ago on radio, about Sebastian Coe after he won his Olympic gold.

He had been invited as guest of honour at a football match - I think it was at Wolves - and turned up at the stadium with his invitation.

"I'm sorry, sir" said the gateman, "but you've come to the wrong entrance. The VIP entrance is round the other side of the ground".

"Do you know who I am?" asked Coe, "I won the 1500 meters gold in Moscow"

"Well", said the unmoved gateman, "It won't take you long to get there, then".
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    There was a story I heard a few years ago on radio, about Sebastian Coe after he won his Olympic gold.

He had been invited as guest of honour at a football match - I think it was at Wolves - and turned up at the stadium with his invitation.

"I'm sorry, sir" said the gateman, "but you've come to the wrong entrance. The VIP entrance is round the other side of the ground".

Brilliant. :D:D:D:D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If true, the gatesman deserved disiplining for that - Seb had been invited, not trying it on. Wolves management would have looked pretty silly if Seb had just thought "bollox to 'em then, I'm going home"
    Does make you wonder if some celebs do get very wary of the public due to wise-guys trying it on, especially drunks trying to impress their mates.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    If true, the gatesman deserved disiplining for that - Seb had been invited, not trying it on. Wolves management would have looked pretty silly if Seb had just thought "bollox to 'em then, I'm going home"
    Does make you wonder if some celebs do get very wary of the public due to wise-guys trying it on, especially drunks trying to impress their mates.

There is nothing more annoying to come from the mouth of a so-called 'celeb' than 'Do you know who I am?'. For this reason, the gatesman was right. Surely all Seb Coe had to say was 'Please could I come through here instead?'. If not, just accept it. I thoroughly applaud people who stand up to these tossers.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    If true, the gatesman deserved disiplining for that - Seb had been invited, not trying it on.

It's the old 'do you know who I am?' that did it I suppose. Besides - I thought that was hilarious! I must tell hubby that one when he gets home! :D
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    There is nothing more annoying to come from the mouth of a so-called 'celeb' than 'Do you know who I am?'. For this reason, the gatesman was right. Surely all Seb Coe had to say was 'Please could I come through here instead?'. If not, just accept it. I thoroughly applaud people who stand up to these tossers.

Well said. You understood the point (I'm not meaning to be patronising).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh goody... the bit of news about Seb Coe gives me all the more reason to hate him.
    Forum Member
    Funny she was like that, as I've met her a few times in real life and Carol's always been charming. Plus on Twitter she replies and chats away quite happily to people.

Again maybe one of those days when a celeb is tired and just doesn't wanna know. Gee I'm like that on flights a lot of the time, especially if it's a work trip :D

Then she could easily have been much more polite about it by the sound of things.

Anyway, the comment on this thread about her "do you know who I am" antics in a catalogue shop, if true, sum things up nicely for me.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Gene Pitney (I just know the dead ones. lol) Wouldn't speak to anyone at the end of concert or sign any autographs. Right grumpy git so he was. .

One of the problems singers have is that they're scared of people breathing cold'n'flu germs over them, and alot of the time they're stand-offish it's because they're just trying to keep out of harm's way, especially if they're on tour and have a load more shows to get through. I'm not making excuses for rudeness but I know many singers worry about this.

As for the "don't you know who I am?" comment - the best response I ever heard to this was the receptionist putting out a message over the tannoy saying "There's a lady here who can't remember who she is. Can somebody please come and claim her as she's holding up the queue"
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I've a mate who used to be in the police and he stopped a local footballer for speeding. Footy player went right into the "Do you know who I am?" routine.

My mate replied "Yes I do, which means I'll have no trouble identifying you in court."
    Forum Member
    fiveinabed wrote: »
    One of the problems singers have is that they're scared of people breathing cold'n'flu germs over them, and alot of the time they're stand-offish it's because they're just trying to keep out of harm's way, especially if they're on tour and have a load more shows to get through. I'm not making excuses for rudeness but I know many singers worry about this.

As for the "don't you know who I am?" comment - the best response I ever heard to this was the receptionist putting out a message over the tannoy saying "There's a lady here who can't remember who she is. Can somebody please come and claim her as she's holding up the queue"

Isn't that weird. It wasn't me who posted about Gene Pitney!
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops, sorry, I originally pressed Reply in the wrong part of the screen, and had to do a copy/paste between the quote-marks. (I'm not very good with computers!)
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Why the use of the word 'Vile' on every occasion, it should only be used on special occasions otherwise it loses its impact.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late Danny Kaye was supposed to be a rather horrible individual.

Oh yessss. He was a very talented man but a complex personality to boot. His wife, Sylvia, was older than him and was one of the original Hollywood beards but she too was a clever person in her own right and wrote most of those quirky routines he did in his films. My uncle was a producer for a certain high rating Australian daytime TV show back in the 70's and early 80's and Danny Kaye was a special guest on the show, a highly anticipated guest spot for the week. Well, he rubbed everyone up the wrong way that he possibly could on that show, very difficult and not at all personable. When in the guest seat and they went live to air (the show was a live broadcast each day) the host began the chat and the tension between them was palpable, very icky viewing, and Kaye said to him 'why don't you forget the script and ad-lib it? the host's face was like 'what's going on!' and Kaye leaned over, grabbed the host's clipboard of questions and threw it across the studio - all on camera. Then he leaned back in his chair and the two men glared at each other....the rest of the segment was not relaxing viewing to put it mildly and the host cut it short. Uncle said during the ad break the host said to the floor manager 'get him out!'....
    The host of that show is gay, as was Kaye, must have been something they did not like about each other, but Kaye was notorious for being the opposite to his on-screen persona.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The late Danny Kaye was supposed to be a rather horrible individual.

Geoff Hurst is another I've heard of as being a tosser. There are many tales out there of Geoff & Danny.

No Danny Kaye was not horrid.
    Going back many many years,my dad had a job washing up dishes in a resturant in London and Danny had a meal there and wanted to met the staff behind the scenes he tipped all staff my dad who washed up etc etc
    Danny told them it is not fair that people who work just as hard as the waiters in the resturant do not get tips
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met Jean Marsh or Tony Robinson? They're two of the TV stars I really imagine to be delightful in person. Honor Blackman is another.

I once worked in a post office in Central London a good few years ago. I served Honur Blackman a number of times. She always very nice indeed. Always cheerful with a smile. Hayley Mills was very much the same.
  • cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    On the subject of Seb Coe, my sister was good friends with Kathy and Garry Cook (Olympic athletes) and went to their wedding. The whole Olympics team was invited including Steve Ovett and they all laughed at how Seb was the only one not invited - apparently he was completely up himself and a total knob
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Giant Haystacks at a motorway service station in the mid 1980s. There's a picture of me and my brother with him somewhere at my mum and dads house. He looks dead pissed off in the picture cos he got annoyed at waiting for the flash of my dads camera to warm up.

LOL, back in the day wrestlers would have been expected not to break character in the wild, so to speak. I'm amazed you got a photo at all.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lgwcm wrote: »
    liz hurley
    dara o'briain
    amy winehouse

nicest
    micheal douglas
    ciff richard
    sarah ferguson
    steve wright
    tom daily
    jessica ennis

Amy Winehouse was vile? :eek: I've always had a soft spot for her, actually.
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,363
    Forum Member

why? all the Gateman did was direct him to the VIP entrance, he should have sent him through the "ordinary gates" so he got lost, Serve him right:D
  • TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Anna Friel. I witnessed her being very rude and shouty to a staff member in Kendall's in Manchester. I gave her the benefit of the doubt for a while as I wasn't party to the start of the conversation, but I've heard a few similar stories from friends who have first hand experience of her being rude so it wasn't an isolated incident.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    I've met Brian. He was lovely. Maybe he was just having an off day. Not long after he won Celeb Stars in their Eyes performing as Pavarotti, he did a signing in Milton Keynes shopping centre and sang Nessun Dorma. Whole place shook at the foundations.

I've also met him several times, professionally and socially. I've never found him to be anything other than charming. LOUD, certainly. And his sense of humour is wicked. But absolutely charming.

A good many years back I bumped into him at a charity event organised by work friends. It was advertised as a "bring your granny" party, and I took my mum and aunt along. They were not amused when they found that bit out :D. BB was there in a private capacity as a friend of one of the party hosts, and certainly not expected to "do a turn" as a celebrity guest. He recognised me from a recording he had done months before and came over to chat. I introduced him to mum and aunt Jean, and somehow they got talking about yoga (my mum is a yoga practitioner, and apparently BB is too). I think they spent a good half an hour talking about yoga and meditation, and mum was utterly enchanted by him.

A couple of years after that I bumped into him again at another party, and he boomed at me, "Ah, you're the chap whose mother does yoga!". He asked me if I wanted a drink, and fetched me a G&T that I suspect had never even seen a bottle of tonic water. It nearly killed me.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Barrymore seen him twice, once while filming that talent show with hundreds of guests and spectators and the second time walking to his trailer in a theatre car park, in both cases he could barely walk straight..and he was obnoxious too.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing Brian Blessed in Cats (Blackpool, 1989, playing 'Old Deuteronomy'). During the interval, when all the rest of the cast were off set, he sat on a big tyre in the middle of the stage and encouraged people to go up and chat with him. He was a total sweetie. I saw the show three times over that summer and he always did the same thing. I didn't go up to him myself as there was quite a crowd but I was impressed.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work in Fulham, and would sometimes see Leslie Grantham (Dirty Den from EE) queuing up in the NatWest Bank - this was in the days of proper banks with wooden counters and human cashiers.

He looked, and dressed, exactly the same as his character, and was quite happy to chat with anyone.

He stood in a queue behind me in M&S, he was very nice, chatty. Though I didn't talk to him about the fact he is famous..It was at a time when he was back in Eastenders too.
    Also Pierce Bronson, have seen him at Mass in a London parish, very nice despite being recognised by children that where saying "Mummy, mummy it's James Bond."
    Katherine, Duchess of Windsor and her daughter, stood behind them in a queue for ice cream at Wimbledon, didn't speak to them but they happily blended with the crowds, no bodyguards or security or staff.#
    Alistair Stewart smiled and said hello when he walked pasted me.