Low threshold UPVC Doors?

Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
Forum Member
I have just had my house double glazed and to have a new front and back door.

I requested a low threshold front door as it is up a series of steps and was concerned that it would be easy to fall over the tall threshold of regualt upvc doors.

Unfortunately, due to an error in the works order a regular door was supplied.

The firm are being really good about it (and the rest of the installation is top notch, the installers working very tidily and doing a cracking job of any snagging that was bound to occur)

They are sending out a survaeyor to re-measure the frame and door so they can manufacture new ones..

But.

I'm not sure that I want it replaced. I live, effectively on the top of a cliff and the wether direction is generally off the sea and against the front of the house. I have heard that low threshold doors are not as weatherproof as standard doors. This does concern me. Before I go into negotiations with the frim does any one have experience of low threshold doors. If so, would you recommend them, or have them again?

Comments

• PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I have a low threshold sliding door out to my back garden .We don't live on a cliff but at the foot of the mountains and it can be very windy here at times .I have never had so much a a tiny breeze or any sort of problem at all with it .They are sealed tightly and not whisper gets through .
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the recommend. It's put my mind at rest. Obviously I was worried about wind and cold (only night starage heating available)

My bigger concern was water - but if they are good for wind, it follows they are watertight.