Options

Sky Wireless Booster

David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
Forum Member
✭✭
Sky Wireless Booster extends the WiFi signal to help you get online in an area of the home you may not have been able to before. Available to existing Sky Broadband customers only.

this looks like the Wireless Connector but in white.
http://www.sky.com/products/kit/wireless-booster/

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but eats up half the available wifi bandwidth the achieve it.
    wifi extenders/boosters are generally not the way to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Is it actually a Wireless Connector inside?

I know the WC is made by AirTies.

Also does the WB only work with the Sky hub?

I'd like to use my spare WC with my VM SuperHub.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    but eats up half the available wifi bandwidth the achieve it.
    wifi extenders/boosters are generally not the way to go.

whilst that is technically true the kind of people that buy this stuff probably are not using their network for anything other than broadband.

and whilst it does halve the available bandwidth so long as that doesn't take it down below their broadband speed it will make absolutely no difference to them at all.

plus it only reduces the bandwith in the area covered by it. in which you presumably have no bandwidth at all or you wouldn't be buying it.

and these days there are ways of doing it without halving the bandwidth, although this probably doesn't do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    FYI, my old WC(not a toilet) which connected to my VM SuperHub ok didn't show up on Inssider last night when I tried it. Another router I have (different channel) with the same SSID does though.
  • Options
    mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is free for Sky customers at the moment. I'm trying to claim it, but nothing seems to be happening. It keeps saying there's nothing in my basket, even though I thought I added it. I've tried a few times
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    This is free for Sky customers at the moment. I'm trying to claim it, but nothing seems to be happening. It keeps saying there's nothing in my basket, even though I thought I added it. I've tried a few times

first question i would ask... do you really need this?
    it won't make your connection faster. all it does is extend the range a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first question i would ask... do you really need this?
    it won't make your connection faster. all it does is extend the range a little.

My signal upstairs is just about one bar. It's a very weak signal. Due to the layout of my house and where the router has to go, I can't improve the signal

I'm well aware it won't make my connection faster, if I wanted to do that I'd upgrade to Sky Fibre. I just want to know that if I use my computer or phone upstairs, I can stream videos without if having to keep pausing to buffer

My PS3 is also upstairs and trying to play games online when the signal regularly drops out, is very frustrating
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My signal upstairs is just about one bar. It's a very weak signal. Due to the layout of my house and where the router has to go, I can't improve the signal

I'm well aware it won't make my connection faster, if I wanted to do that I'd upgrade to Sky Fibre. I just want to know that if I use my computer or phone upstairs, I can stream videos without if having to keep pausing to buffer

My PS3 is also upstairs and trying to play games online when the signal regularly drops out, is very frustrating

upgrading to fibre would have no affect on your wifi speed.

the booster will extend the range. you will need to place the booster somewhere inbetween your existing router and where you need signal, also needs to be next to a power socket.

generally boosters use about half the available wifi bandwidth to enable it to extend the range.

boosters, IMO, are generally not the best solution, but if running an ethernet cable to the location is not an option then you are limited in what you can do.

powerline adaptors may be a better solution, and you can then connect a wifi access point in the troublesome spot. in this solution i would connect the PS3 via ethernet though, not wifi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    upgrading to fibre would have no affect on your wifi speed.

the booster will extend the range. you will need to place the booster somewhere inbetween your existing router and where you need signal, also needs to be next to a power socket.

generally boosters use about half the available wifi bandwidth to enable it to extend the range.

boosters, IMO, are generally not the best solution, but if running an ethernet cable to the location is not an option then you are limited in what you can do.

powerline adaptors may be a better solution, and you can then connect a wifi access point in the troublesome spot. in this solution i would connect the PS3 via ethernet though, not wifi.

Upgrading to fibre would give me greater internet speeds and would therefore give me a faster connection on my wireless devices

I'm using my bandwidth up with all the devices connected, so it's not really an issue

If I wanted to use an ethernet cable, then I would need a 50m cable to my computer and about 40m to my PS3. This is just not suitable

I don't think in an ideal world that all devices can be connected by ethernet. Otherwise I'd need about eight ports

Anyway, all that's irrelevant. Sky are offering them for free, it's not costing me anything and if it improves my signal upstairs then that's all I'm after

I was only enquiring whether anybody else had an issue with claiming the device online. I've managed to get it to work now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upgrading to fibre would give me greater internet speeds and would therefore give me a faster connection on my wireless devices

yes but it has no affect on your internal LAN speed.
    WIFI speeds and and actual internet connection speeds are not related.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but it has no affect on your internal LAN speed.
    WIFI speeds and and actual internet connection speeds are not related.

If I'm using a network card in my other PC (the computer by the router is connected wirelessly as well), what sort of LAN speed should I be getting then with 16Mb Sky Internet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm using a network card in my other PC (the computer by the router is connected wirelessly as well), what sort of LAN speed should I be getting then with 16Mb Sky Internet?

well the LAN card will be capable of eithet 100Mbit/s or 1000Mbit/s.
    depending on the router, the LAN ports will either be 100Mbit/s or 1000Mbit/s (if it's the sky router then they are 100Mbit/s)

so your ethernet ports are capable of far more than your internet connection is capable of.
    any speed bottleneck will be your internet connection.

the point i'm making is. if your wifi network is only capable of providing, say, 40Mbit/s, then upgrading to fibre isn't going to change that.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to place my order just now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I managed to place my order just now.

There must have been problems with the site. I'll be so happy to have a stronger signal upstairs. It'll make uploading YouTube videos quicker
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to place my order, and have been given a new free hub instead (as i had an older router). Much happier, as i was needing a new router / hub, so that has saved me £69, and from the picture, it's the new black hub, so thanks for the heads up!

P.s. apparently I can claim a free wireless booster too, if after a week of using the new hub I am still suffering black spots around the house.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered one of these yesterday. Already have the Sky Hub as that is what I was supplied with when I signed up.

Does anyone know if the Ethernet port will provide internet access?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Just got my booster. Set it up then connected the ethernet cable to my Sky Box and on demand works. So the free booster will work as a very cheap internet access point.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my booster. Set it up then connected the ethernet cable to my Sky Box and on demand works. So the free booster will work as a very cheap internet access point.
    Thanks Trevor. Ordered one for the summer so I can get internet in the garden, but this is a bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine came today and I now have 2/3 bars upstairs and my TV is finally connecting to the internet again
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I've had this sometimes my wifi just completely drops out then quickly casually reconnects.....
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new Sky Hub on its way to me now - will it share the same password as the older router that it's replacing or will I need to reconfigure my various wireless devices to connect ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    A new Sky Hub on its way to me now - will it share the same password as the older router that it's replacing or will I need to reconfigure my various wireless devices to connect ?

It'll have a different password. You can go into settings and change the password on the new router so that it is the same as the old one. That way you don't need to re-link all your devices
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    Since I've had this sometimes my wifi just completely drops out then quickly casually reconnects.....

Mine does that as well, but it was also doing it before I had the Wi-Fi booster. It does happen fairly regularly and I have the new style Sky router
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll have a different password. You can go into settings and change the password on the new router so that it is the same as the old one. That way you don't need to re-link all your devices

Thanks , that's the easier option, I didn't realise that you could change the router password - Doh !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    Thanks , that's the easier option, I didn't realise that you could change the router password - Doh !

When your new router is connected type in the address bar:

Type in user name: admin and password: sky

Click on wireless at the top and you should be on wireless settings and there you can change the password under network key

I'm sure it's case sensitive so use capital letters