Options

Lord Rennard Apologises

2»

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I get it. No one has the right to lay hands on me.

Trying his luck as you call it was precisely a case of a dirty old man exercising what he saw as his seigneurial rights.

Engaging someone in a flirtatious conversation in the hope of a reciprocal response is one thing. Touching is quite another another.

Some men fancy little girls and little boys , do they have the same "rights" that Rennard seems to think he has? Does that count as trying your luck? Or are women just there to be touched by anyone "trying their luck"?

His apology even blamed others for what he did insofar as he only said sorry if other perceived his behaviour to be intrusive and unacceptable. Creep.

Your paedophile analogy is absurd. And offensive.

I'm not sure how, in your regime anyone could ever pull anyone.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Lord Rennard Apologises...and Lo! The Liberal Democrat implosion doth continue! :p

This is all going to be decided by some disciplinary committee and some sanction, perhaps time limited, ought to be applied because Lord Gropah certainly has brought the party into disrepute (not that it isn't already).
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Your paedophile analogy is absurd. And offensive.

I'm not sure how, in your regime anyone could ever pull anyone.

No at all. Either it is appropriate for a man to put his hands on anyone he chooses be it man woman or child or it isn't. In my view it isn't. As I clearly stated flirtatious conversation followed by mutual attraction is one thing. Presuming that anyone wants to be touched is unacceptable.

Rennard is a married man and ought to have had more respect for himself his wife and children (if he has any) and not presume that he had any right to touch people.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Rennard to the rescue!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10864621/Nick-Clegg-must-bring-back-Lord-Rennard-to-save-party-allies-of-peer-say.html

You can't make it up.

7% in the latest polls and in total meltdown - and Rennard will save them!

Presumably by wooing the female vote?

Nick Clegg has completely mishandled this hasn't he?
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Lib dems are not in the news enough at the moment it seems

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27629806

It's like a suicide cult.

Whitewash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No at all. Either it is appropriate for a man to put his hands on anyone he chooses be it man woman or child or it isn't. In my view it isn't. As I clearly stated flirtatious conversation followed by mutual attraction is one thing. Presuming that anyone wants to be touched is unacceptable.

Rennard is a married man and ought to have had more respect for himself his wife and children (if he has any) and not presume that he had any right to touch people.

He touched her on the knee.

What you are saying is outrageous. Touching an adult woman on the knee it an unwanted and badly executed attempt at seduction and being a paedophile, deliberately, knowingly sexually assaulting a child and ruining their lives are not comparable. To pretend that they are is to minimise sexually assaulting children, to trivialise it.

I don't know whether you believe what you're saying, or you are trying some kind of rhetoric. Either way you are very very wrong.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    He touched her on the knee.

What you are saying is outrageous. Touching an adult woman on the knee it an unwanted and badly executed attempt at seduction and being a paedophile, deliberately, knowingly sexually assaulting a child and ruining their lives are not comparable. To pretend that they are is to minimise sexually assaulting children, to trivialise it.

I don't know whether you believe what you're saying, or you are trying some kind of rhetoric. Either way you are very very wrong.

I agree that there are orders of magnitude between what Smith and Rennard did. However, what Rennard did, on more than one occasion, was commit acts of physical intimidation/harassment and that is still not on. He ought to receive some form of formal written warning and punishment, e.g. suspension of party membership for a period of months at the very least.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member

Don't remember you getting anywhere near this worked up about Nigel Evans pestering men as opposed to Rennard pestering women. Is it because one is a Conservative and one isn't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree that there are orders of magnitude between what Smith and Rennard did. However, what Rennard did, on more than one occasion, was commit acts of physical intimidation/harassment and that is still not on. He ought to receive some form of formal written warning and punishment, e.g. suspension of party membership for a period of months at the very least.

I'm not defending rennard.

I'm just saying it's not on the same page as paedophilia.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Don't remember you getting anywhere near this worked up about Nigel Evans pestering men as opposed to Rennard pestering women. Is it because one is a Conservative and one isn't?

Don't you?

And no it isn't.

And I am not worked up. I am simply expressing my opinion which is that the forum is for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said he waited till now to make his apology public because he didn't want to damage the LD's chances in the EU elections - or maybe carry the can for it.