Options

External hard drive question.

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
I have some files stored on an external hard drive which is used with both W7 and Linux laptops. If I plug this drive into a friend's Mac will it recognise it and display the contents?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what file system is on the drive. Some file systems OS_X can read natively. Some might need additional software to support it.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are using it on windows, then the chance is it is NTFS, in that case Macs will also read NTFS with no problem at all.
    i know because I take my external drive up to a friends place and she have Macs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Fingers crossed.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Thanks. Fingers crossed.:)

I'll ask again :)

What file system are you using on the drive. Don't assume anything. It might be using NTFS but equally it could be using FAT32 or a Linux file system (though that would need a driver on the Windows PC)

Macs can read NTFS and read and write to FAT32 but will likely need help reading a Linux format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'll ask again :)

What file system are you using on the drive. Don't assume anything. It might be using NTFS but equally it could be using FAT32 or a Linux file system (though that would need a driver on the Windows PC)

Macs can read NTFS and read and write to FAT32 but will likely need help reading a Linux format.

Unless the OP have formatted the drive to one of the Linux file systems, then it is 99% if not more likely to be NTFS, i have not come across a external drive formatted to fat32 for years, apart from very old ones.
    As you said, for windows to read a linux drive it will need some form of driver or software, I would be surprised if that is happening here.

Easy enough to find out the drive file system anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, forgot to say it's NTFS. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will work fine then unless the MAc is 20 years old :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just as long as you are aware that "out of the box" OS-X can only read a NTFS disk, it can't write to one. So you can copy files off the external drive to your Mac but cannot copy from Mac to external drive.

There are third party utilities that enable writing to NTFS. I haven't used any so would not like to recommend any. And there is apparently a hack to enable writing directly from OS-X see

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/how-to-manually-enable-ntfs-read-and-write-in-os-x/

Again not tried it so all the usual caveats apply if you try it yourself :)
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Unless the OP have formatted the drive to one of the Linux file systems, then it is 99% if not more likely to be NTFS, i have not come across a external drive formatted to fat32 for years, apart from very old ones.
    As you said, for windows to read a linux drive it will need some form of driver or software, I would be surprised if that is happening here.

Easy enough to find out the drive file system anyway.

Actually fat32 disks are still quite common.

Many external hard disks are formatted as FAT32 especially if they are connected to PVRs, TVs etc.

I have a satellite box that will only accept FAT32 formatted usb disks. This is a pain because you have to get a special formatting tool (freeware) to format any disks over 32GB (a windows limitation),
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Actually fat32 disks are still quite common.

Many external hard disks are formatted as FAT32 especially if they are connected to PVRs, TVs etc.

I have a satellite box that will only accept FAT32 formatted usb disks. This is a pain because you have to get a special formatting tool (freeware) to format any disks over 32GB (a windows limitation),

PlayStation 3 is the same. I assume its due to Microsoft licensing(?)