last time you did a sickie ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
I haven't had a day off sick since November 2009 (probably just jinxed myself) ..
though i confess that when i was younger I did take the odd (cough) day here and there and not always legitimately either (shock) ...
Now i just couldn't ...

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genuine sickie - few weeks ago after my little boy thoughtfully brought home a vomiting bug from nursery.

Fake sickie - probably as a student, skiving off lectures. Over ten years ago now. I've never faked a sickie in my working life.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fake sickie, never in my working life, but I did manage to feign a few death bed moments during school though, which was harder than it should have been, because my beady eyed mother was a nurse at the time.

The last genuine sickie was 2 days off with a 24 hour vomiting/diarrhoea bug (about 4 years ago).
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Being self-employed it's not easy.
    Were I to phone myself and say, "I won't be in today, guts ache", I'd probably reply as my alter ego, "You lying s.o.b."
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being self-employed it's not easy.
    Were I to phone myself and say, "I won't be in today, guts ache", I'd probably reply as my alter ego, "You lying s.o.b."

Ha ha! I'm also self employed. I have far more guilt in taking a day off sick now than I did when I worked for other people!
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Never had a fake sickie. Last genuine one was upset stomach a couple of years ago - working in the food industry that's a mandatory two days out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fake sickie, never in my working life, but I did manage to feign a few death bed moments during school though, which was harder than it should have been, because my beady eyed mother was a nurse at the time.

The last genuine sickie was 2 days off with a 24 hour vomiting/diarrhoea bug (about 4 years ago).

A few people at work have had some weird 2day vomiting/diarrhoea bug recently ... fingers crossed i seem to have missed that one.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've pulled the odd sickie but I've also come in when not 100% as well so I think it evens itself out.

It's quite laid back where I am anyway and I live quite close so sometimes I've gone in and then gone home an hour or two later.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was sent home from work last month after throwing up and almost fainting. I'm actually not feeling great today (I'm in bed), but tomorrow is a big day so just going to have to push on.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just used to go to to work. Very occasionally I was really ill so had to take time off.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best excuse i heard for a sickie was "sorry i won't be in today, i wish to remain an enigma" :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have the odd duvet day, mainly to help me maintain my sanity, such as it is. (This was when I worked in the nightmare that is retail. Office work doesn't drive you mad quite as much, in my experience).

It happened roughly once every 3 months or so.

Balanced out by the times I went in because they were short staffed on my days off.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    A day after I became self employed in 1997.

Sickness is a benefits thing, truly.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I genuinely missed work for something was the day I crashed the car en route to work, made it as far as work and realised I was in no fit state to work, absolute bitch of a line manager marked me down as unauthorised absence and no show no call.

Last time I pulled a sickie was to attend an interview as I couldn't get the leave for love nor money. Surprised I wasn't pulled up on it though as it was 17th March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    A day after I became self employed in 1997.

Sickness is a benefits thing, truly.

I didn't get paid for my days off sick. Except for when I was really sick and off for a few weeks.

But perhaps I should have had a heart attack instead of being on the sick, so as to save the sainted taxpayer a few quid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't be arsed working today because of the cricket, told myself I have bad something or other but I haven't really.
    Forum Member
    I didn't get paid for my days off sick. Except for when I was really sick and off for a few weeks.

But perhaps I should have had a heart attack instead of being on the sick, so as to save the sainted taxpayer a few quid.

So you were paid for being off sick.

I could be at deaths door and never get anything.
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    April 2014, finally became too disabled to work and have been off sick since then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you were paid for being off sick.

I could be at deaths door and never get anything.

Why not?
    Forum Member
    Why not?

The self employed get absolutely nothing. I have been ill for about a year, but tax wise it is wrong for me to claim for any benefits at all.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last August. I had tonsillitis :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The self employed get absolutely nothing. I have been ill for about a year, but tax wise it is wrong for me to claim for any benefits at all.

That is dreadful. You have my sincerest sympathy.
    Forum Member
    That is dreadful. You have my sincerest sympathy.

If that is sincere, thank you.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's the same in Ireland too. It's disgraceful >:(
    Forum Member
    It's the same in Ireland too. It's disgraceful >:(

I pay twice as much in tax too.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I pulled a few sickies at uni, does that count? I've never pretended to be ill to get off work, I get a reasonable amount of annual leave, so if I fancy a day off, I'll book a day's leave. I'd feel too guilty otherwise and besides, I'm a grown-up and we don't do that :D