SNP watch

Comments

• BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    UncleLou wrote: »
    I never thought of it that way. So you are saying that Scotland is "ridden with xenophobes" and that's why the Scottish National Party got voted in and outed Labour? That would explain why some Scots want to keep voting on English only and English and Welsh only matters, but keep stopping England and Wales from having a say on Scottish only matters. How sad.

LOL. Scottish Westminster MPs have always voted on any thing put before the house. Labour,Tory and libdems The SNP had a policy of not voting on what they saw as English only matters

PS English mps vote on Scottish only matters if they have not been devolved
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Prove it. Prove that the SNP vote is the Yes vote. Back up your assertion with proof.

And I will treat your sign on comment with all the contempt it deserves. And no, your wee emoticon does not make it funny. I work 10-8 5 days a week to earn a living.

Edit - on second thoughts, don't bother as I really don't give a toss about your views.

It's more than a bit obvious that the SNP vote is almost entirely the Yes vote.

And on reflection I might have been a bit harsh as I work 7 till 5 which works out the same.

Unlike you though, I do care about your views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    It wasn't too long ago that Labour were in power in Holyrood and all the Councils and the bulk of Scottish MPs were Labour.

That was different somehow...

It was different because there was still some opposition at varying levels of government. Just wait until the SNP control all of the Councils, MSPs and MPs. It's not a healthy situation for any democracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/17/surge-english-snp-members-scottish-nationalist-party

"Surge in English SNP members: 'the core message is very attractive'

Scottish Nationalist party is signing up more supporters south of the border, among them ex-Labour and Green activists seeking a bolder alternative"

I have absolutely no idea how anyone not in Scotland would join the SNP unless they were Scots.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I have absolutely no idea how anyone not in Scotland would join the SNP unless they were Scots.

Why's that?

Surely anyone at all who supports the SNPs ideas can join them? Are English people not allowed to support Scottish independence too? :confused:

There is nothing whatsoever to stop me joining Plaid Cymru or Sinn Fein even though I don't live in Wales or NI but if I supported what those parties stood for then why shouldn't I join them?

The BNP had several members in the Irish Republic according to the leaked membership list a few years back!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    Why's that?

Surely anyone at all who supports the SNPs ideas can join them? Are English people not allowed to support Scottish independence too? :confused:

There is nothing whatsoever to stop me joining Plaid Cymru or Sinn Fein even though I don't live in Wales or NI but if I supported what those parties stood for then why shouldn't I join them?

The BNP had several members in the Irish Republic according to the leaked membership list a few years back!

I'd be interested in the particular benefits you might gain by joining the SNP if you lived in Bodmin.

I'd also be interested to know what you think the SNPs ideas are that are so attractive for someone who couldn't benefit from them unless they moved to Scotland.

It's like me joining the Democratic Party because I like Obamacare:D
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Do you always believe what billionaire business men always say?

For the record, I don't. I don't always believe politicians either.
    thms wrote: »
    you should go to the snp website, it has a little box that says 'search'. type fracking and bob's your uncle

So of the three people to answer my question of what SNP supporters think of the policy, and the confusion amongst other supporters, I've had one response that the SNP policy is clear (meaning they think at least some supporters are stupid), although they wouldn't be drawn on what they thought the policy actually meant, just in case. A second person who doesn't know what to think, and a third whose opinion is based on whatever the SNP website is saying that particular day.

Personally, I think the Scottish Government realises that Scotland would benefit from the money and energy security that would come from the shale gas, and are hoping that the moratorium would give enough time for the general public to get used to the idea, and for environmental issues to be addressed a bit better than now. Either that, or hope some new, easily accesssible North Sea gas is discovered. Unfortunately, they played with fire, and allowed their campaigners to lump fracking in with Trident, as something that right minded Scottish people should be against.

There are some serious environmental concerns, and any projects need to be considered very carefully against local considerations, so I actually think a moratorium is a good thing, but I'm amazed how many people thought there was a ban, or presume SNP policy is that there definitely should be. There's obviously a problem with things being said at local meetings that contradict what's being said at meetings with business.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member

The SNP has thousands of English members, many Polish members, Welsh members, Irish members, Pakistani members and in fact members of many nationalities. We even have an elected SNP who is French.

The thing about the SNP is that it's not merely for Scots, it's for the people of Scotland.

And on top of that, there are ex-pat members all over the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The SNP has thousands of English members, many Polish members, Welsh members, Irish members, Pakistani members and in fact members of many nationalities. We even have an elected SNP who is French.

The thing about the SNP is that it's not merely for Scots, it's for the people of Scotland.

And on top of that, there are ex-pat members all over the world.

That's exactly what I said:confused:
    Forum Member
    That's exactly what I said:confused:

No wonder you are confused. You did not say that!!!!!!! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    No wonder you are confused. You did not say that!!!!!!! :confused:

Then you cannot read and comprehend. Basically I said I don't know why anyone outside Scotland except Scots would want to join the SNP.

The key word is outside here;-)

Why would a Spanish citizen living in Madrid want to join the SNP? It's not Rocket Science here.
    Forum Member
    Then you cannot read and comprehend. Basically I said I don't know why anyone outside Scotland except Scots would want to join the SNP.

Theology. key word is outside here;-)

Why would a Spanish citizen living in Madrid want to join the SNP? It's not Rocket Science here.

Porkchopexpress was pointing out to you that people from outside Scotland join and are joining the SNP.
    So not exactly what you were saying at all :D
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

The key word is outside here;-)

I've actually joined Plaid even although I'm outside Wales. The reason I chose to join was to try and show solidarity with people in Wales who are also fighting to build a fairer society there free from Westminster. If England had genuine centre left party fighting for their peoples independence I would also be keen to join them as a show of solidarity as well. In Wales and Ireland the parties seeking independence tend to be closer to my own political values so you do want to see them do well and at the end of day we all want to challenge Westminster and the notion of Britain being a nation or nationality. We want to be respected as a nation and a people in our own right so it makes sense to show that same respect to comrades who want the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porkchopexpress was pointing out to you that people from outside Scotland join and are joining the SNP.
    So not exactly what you were saying at all :D

No he wasn't. You didn't read his post either it seems. He clearly says expats join and also various nationalities within Scotland. That's basically what I said and is to be expected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    I've actually joined Plaid even although I'm outside Wales. The reason I chose to join was to try and show solidarity with people in Wales who are also fighting to build a fairer society there free from Westminster. If England had genuine centre left party fighting for their peoples independence I would also be keen to join them as a show of solidarity as well. In Wales and Ireland the parties seeking independence tend to be closer to my own political values so you do want to see them do well and at the end of day we all want to challenge Westminster and the notion of Britain being a nation or nationality. We want to be respected as a nation and a people in our own right so it makes sense to show that same respect to comrades who want the same thing.

I'm sure you have and I certainly don't understand why you would think that we're not somehow free unless we break away from the UK. Im presuming then that your also a member of wider European parties fighting for independence. Say Kosovo, Spain etc?

Your going to have to join a few oarties:)
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    I've actually joined Plaid even although I'm outside Wales. The reason I chose to join was to try and show solidarity with people in Wales who are also fighting to build a fairer society there free from Westminste

Hahaha! I am sure they are grateful for your money :D
    I imagine most people would think you are somewhat "eccentric" ;-)
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Ok, if we're being strictly literal, they would simply go on to the SNP website and sign up. :)
    Forum Member
    No he wasn't. You didn't read his post either it seems. He clearly says expats join and also various nationalities within Scotland. That's basically what I said and is to be expected.

Lol. If you say so😁
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    If I join the SNP would I get to vote at party conference if so I could vote to support remaining in the Union and Trident and austerity?

In fact if we could mobilise a few million English voters to join...........;-)
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    If I join the SNP would I get to vote at party conference if so I could vote to support remaining in the Union and Trident and austerity?

In fact if we could mobilise a few million English voters to join...........;-)

You mean like how the Tories infiltrated the Labour Party :D
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    You mean like how the Tories infiltrated the Labour Party :D

Parties can be infiltrated quite easily of course by small numbers of people and used to ferment division and trouble.

I believe Salmond is an MI5 operative and carefully engineered a vote in favour of NATO membership and in time will work them round to accepting nukes. :D
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you have and I certainly don't understand why you would think that we're not somehow free unless we break away from the UK. Im presuming then that your also a member of wider European parties fighting for independence. Say Kosovo, Spain etc?

Your going to have to join a few oarties:)

I love a party! ;-)

I've had dealings with the Catalonian campaign through my own work in the Scottish campaign but haven't joined any Spanish party. Solidarity with Plaid could be effective within the UK construct which is the point of solidarity in the first place.

I don't understand how you can seriously suggest we're free in any kind of political or constitutional sense when you've just witnessed Westminster dismiss the 56 of 59 MPs elected to deliver real powers for Scotland. It's the actions of MP outside of Scotland dictating to, imposing on and ignoring Scottish voters that has led to the current situation and demolishes any sense of respect or autonomy for Scotland. Even the devolution that we currently have could be shut down in the future if a majority of English MP's were to decide that is what they or their voters felt like. That's not freedom, it's not autonomy.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    So if the 4 million UKIP supporters joined the SNP?

:)
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »

You need to learn how to write or use a computer, so that rules them out. :)
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »

The SNP would have to refuse them entry; you've got to have some standards.
This discussion has been closed.