University police officer charged with murder for shooting of Samuel DuBose

WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
Forum Member
✭✭
A white police officer who gunned down an unarmed black man in Cincinnati, Ohio, has been indicted for murder by a grand jury, as the county prosecutor described the shooting as the “most asinine act” he had ever seen committed by a police officer.

Samuel DuBose, 43, was killed on 19 July by a single shot to the head fired by University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing during a routine traffic stop, in which DuBose was pulled over for not having a front license plate.

University police officer charged with murder for shooting of Samuel DuBose (includes video)

What a perfectly vicious little circle; A black person pulled over by white cop for a relatively minor driving offense fears for his life, so tries to escape from the situation before things take a turn for the worse. To prevent the felon from escaping the officer shoots him in the head! :(

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    "The university does a great job at educating people that should be their job, being police officers should not be their job"

"The traffic stop occurred near the university's main campus, and UC police have said the intersection was within the campus's police jurisdiction"

Wait so hold on. The university has their own private police force which patrols the university itself and it's grounds. And they are doing traffic stops and have guns? Why exactly? Are frat parties that out of control?

There are some facets of the USA i will never understand.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Wait so hold on. The university has their own private police force which patrols the university itself and it's grounds. And they are doing traffic stops and have guns? Why exactly? Are frat parties that out of control?
    Private police forces are quite common in the US especially "Campus Cops". What's unusual is that this happened off campus and on a normal street.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Private police forces are quite common in the US especially "Campus Cops". What's unusual is that this happened off campus and on a normal street.

Campus security is NOT the same as having your own police force.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do begin to wonder if the US police are going completely mad.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    You do begin to wonder if the US police are going completely mad.

18000 different law enforcement agencies in the US all with different rules.
    Forum Member
    Campus security is NOT the same as having your own police force.

Campus police are law enforcement agencies
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Not really different to us we have at least 3 different uniformed police forces
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Not really different to us we have at least 3 different uniformed police forces

We don't have seemingly private police forces who are fully armed patrolling our Universities though do we?
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are still baying for blood after the 'murder' of Cecil the lion, but no so much in this thread. I suppose that answers the question of whether the lives of animals are as important as the lives of humans.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't have seemingly private police forces who are fully armed patrolling our Universities though do we?

But we do our railway stations, BTP and their armed officers are funded almost entirely by the private train operating companies and Network Rail.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    The officer was reckless at best from what I can see.

I'm glad I live in a country where officers licensed to carry firearms are carefully selected and trained properly.

I've met some coppers who I wouldn't trust to tie their own shoelaces, never mind carry a loaded gun, and I'm sure America is no different.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not unusual in that country. I went to Temple University in Philadelphia and it had a massive 'police' force. Given how dodgy the area around the campus was, I wasn't complaining.
  • My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the cop asked for his license continually after. Being told By the driver that he didn't have it. The killer cop then tells the driver to undo the seat belt whilst opening the car door. What happens next is unclear. Next we see the cop shouting and running after the car. Another cop appears with his gun aimed at the car which has stopped. The driver appears to be motionless behind the wheel. Killer cop turns off his body cam.

Interesting......
    Why was this cop stopping drivers on a public street off campus?
    Why did he open the car door?
    ". ". He refuse to check on his radio that the driver wasn't disqualified?

He seemed to want to have an altercation with the driver who was calm and co operative.
    Looks like he was operating outside of his jurisdiction. Too many mentally challenged fools are given uniforms and weapons in America.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are some facets of the USA i will never understand.

The cop who was shot dead by the Boston Marathon bombers a few days after the explosions was an MIT campus officer.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I eagerly await the "I'm not defending the cop, but here's why I think it's the victim that's to blame" posts from the usual suspects
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    I eagerly await the "I'm not defending the cop, but here's why I think it's the victim that's to blame" posts from the usual suspects
    It remains to be decided if he was indeed dragged.
    The prosecution say he wasn't .. but that doesn't make it fact.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the cop asked for his license continually after. Being told By the driver that he didn't have it. The killer cop then tells the driver to undo the seat belt whilst opening the car door. What happens next is unclear. Next we see the cop shouting and running after the car. Another cop appears with his gun aimed at the car which has stopped. The driver appears to be motionless behind the wheel. Killer cop turns off his body cam.

Interesting......

He seemed to want to have an altercation with the driver who was calm and co operative.
    Looks like he was operating outside of his jurisdiction. Too many mentally challenged fools are given uniforms and weapons in America.

I do get the feeling that some of them are deliberately looking for trouble.

It's time Obama seriously addressed the obvious issues in the US police generally.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting......

I understand it is quite normal that college police have a mutual agreement with the local police department that allows them patrol outside of the campus.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It remains to be decided if he was indeed dragged.
    The prosecution say he wasn't .. but that doesn't make it fact.

The video makes it fact. Hence, the verdict.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    The video makes it fact. Hence, the verdict.
    The officer has plead not guilty.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/ohio-sam-dubose-tensing/

Try not to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's time Obama seriously addressed the obvious issues in the US police generally.

What do you think he should do?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wasn't referring to the court verdict, but the verdict on which charge to press. Poor word choice on my part, so let me reword my previous response: Hence, the charge.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you actually watched the video, or read the link? His hand wasn't caught anywhere, he fell backwards after he killed him and he certainly wasn't dragged anywhere. Nothing unsubstantiated about it.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »

In this case there's no doubt but why can't people ask questions about an alleged victim